Hanging Deer

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Just curious how long you guys will leave deer hanging outside before butchering? Obviously if it’s below freezing and the deer freeze, you could leave them out for a few days, and the sooner they are frozen the better…..but what if the air temps are in the 40’s? Is that the same as being refrigerated?

What do you guys think? People leave deer to sit overnight sometimes before even finding them…Does it hurt the meat?

Thoughts?

corey_waller
    hastings mn

Slop, we let our deer hang for up to 4 days as long as the temps are below 45 degrees in the shade, at a temp of 35 to 40 degrees the enzimes in the meet break down helping to tenderize the meat (just like ageing beef) any warmer than 45 deg. for any length of time will cause the meet to rot and anything below freezing kills the enzymes and stops the ageing process. we have done all of our own processing for years (sticks,salami,burger,jerkey,sausage) and have found this temp to work the best. if you have anymore questions just holler, or if you want to come up to see the operation let my know. with your own processing you save a TON on money ane the quality is awesome
    later C

corey_waller
    hastings mn

Slop, we let our deer hang for up to 4 days as long as the temps are below 45 degrees in the shade, at a temp of 35 to 40 degrees the enzimes in the meet break down helping to tenderize the meat (just like ageing beef) any warmer than 45 deg. for any length of time will cause the meet to rot and anything below freezing kills the enzymes and stops the ageing process. we have done all of our own processing for years (sticks,salami,burger,jerkey,sausage) and have found this temp to work the best. if you have anymore questions just holler, or if you want to come up to see the operation let my know. with your own processing you save a TON on money ane the quality is awesome
    later C

theduck

Deer is such a lean meat that aging the meat does very little for it. Beef is a marbled meat and aging it actually makes it more tender. Deer that lay over night when the temps are below 50 will not hurt anything. What usually hurts deer is walking around wounded and finally killed two or three days later. The deer will get sick and be feverish. I have heard this will hurt the flavor of the meat. I have found deer the next day after being shot and they have all been fine and one year the temps were in the 60’s all of the next day. I cut it up and froze it as fast as I could. I do not make a habit of doing this but when time runs out and it is dark it is best to leave and come back when the daylight helps you. 40 degrees is 40 degrees. Whether in a fridge or outside. If the temps are below 40 and I have a day or two before I get time to procees it I will let the deer hang. I have hunted deer for 25 years now and never had any problem with a deer rotting or going bad from hanging in the garage or being found the next day. I mostly hunt in northwest Iowa.

theduck

Deer is such a lean meat that aging the meat does very little for it. Beef is a marbled meat and aging it actually makes it more tender. Deer that lay over night when the temps are below 50 will not hurt anything. What usually hurts deer is walking around wounded and finally killed two or three days later. The deer will get sick and be feverish. I have heard this will hurt the flavor of the meat. I have found deer the next day after being shot and they have all been fine and one year the temps were in the 60’s all of the next day. I cut it up and froze it as fast as I could. I do not make a habit of doing this but when time runs out and it is dark it is best to leave and come back when the daylight helps you. 40 degrees is 40 degrees. Whether in a fridge or outside. If the temps are below 40 and I have a day or two before I get time to procees it I will let the deer hang. I have hunted deer for 25 years now and never had any problem with a deer rotting or going bad from hanging in the garage or being found the next day. I mostly hunt in northwest Iowa.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The number one thing is to get the skin off the first day. Nothing tastes worse than a deer that had the skin on for several days or a week. We skin them within a few hours of laying them down. You can hang a deer for a week at those temps even longer if the temp gets below freezing each night. The first poster was dead on for the temps for aging. and it does improve the tenderness especially those cube steak areas.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The number one thing is to get the skin off the first day. Nothing tastes worse than a deer that had the skin on for several days or a week. We skin them within a few hours of laying them down. You can hang a deer for a week at those temps even longer if the temp gets below freezing each night. The first poster was dead on for the temps for aging. and it does improve the tenderness especially those cube steak areas.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I skin my deer as soon as I get them hoisted. Some people will tell you that leaving the hide on for a few days draws the fat out like a shrowd does on a beef but there just isn’t enough fat on a deer compared to beef for this to work. Most days I have shot deer are cold enough where we can leave the carcass hang for a couple of hours and then we quarter it and bone it out the same day it was shot it I was lucky enough to get it in the morning. Otherwise I quarter and bone it the next day. Leaving a deer hang for several days does nothing for the quality of the meat. If anything you are leaving it open for contamination by not processing it as soon as possible.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I skin my deer as soon as I get them hoisted. Some people will tell you that leaving the hide on for a few days draws the fat out like a shrowd does on a beef but there just isn’t enough fat on a deer compared to beef for this to work. Most days I have shot deer are cold enough where we can leave the carcass hang for a couple of hours and then we quarter it and bone it out the same day it was shot it I was lucky enough to get it in the morning. Otherwise I quarter and bone it the next day. Leaving a deer hang for several days does nothing for the quality of the meat. If anything you are leaving it open for contamination by not processing it as soon as possible.

Eyehunter

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Interesting that some think this does not work. It has been accepted practice in my family forever given the right temps outside. My brother has taken it one step farther by putting a fridge in the garage to age deer quarters and he takes several deer every year. After all I have read, heard and seen it works. Getting the right outdoor conditions the days after your kill is the challenge.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Interesting that some think this does not work. It has been accepted practice in my family forever given the right temps outside. My brother has taken it one step farther by putting a fridge in the garage to age deer quarters and he takes several deer every year. After all I have read, heard and seen it works. Getting the right outdoor conditions the days after your kill is the challenge.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I agree with those that say deer does not age, per say. I have worked in the packing houses and also have taken Animal Science, Animal Nutrition, and a Live Animal and Carcass Evaluation courses in college. Deer as well as any other wild game does not age the same as domesticated livestock. Ageing comes from the marbling or fat that is within the muscle of the animal. In most wild animals, there is no marbling to break down. Also, most beef today is not aged very long either. They are killed, hide taken off, gutted, and cut in halves within 15-20 minutes depending on line speed. They are then cooled in the freezer for a short time before they are cut up. In the big packing houses there is not enough room to age beef very long to keep up with demand. Anyway, it does not hurt to leave deer hang in the right conditions.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I agree with those that say deer does not age, per say. I have worked in the packing houses and also have taken Animal Science, Animal Nutrition, and a Live Animal and Carcass Evaluation courses in college. Deer as well as any other wild game does not age the same as domesticated livestock. Ageing comes from the marbling or fat that is within the muscle of the animal. In most wild animals, there is no marbling to break down. Also, most beef today is not aged very long either. They are killed, hide taken off, gutted, and cut in halves within 15-20 minutes depending on line speed. They are then cooled in the freezer for a short time before they are cut up. In the big packing houses there is not enough room to age beef very long to keep up with demand. Anyway, it does not hurt to leave deer hang in the right conditions.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m not one to argue a point online but a quick internet search on aging venison comes up with several sites advocating the practice for flavoring and tenderizing the meat. Enzyme action is said to occur in muscle. “There are natural Enzymes in the flesh of all animals.”

http://www.noble.org/Ag/Wildlife/ProperCareOfVenison/

http://www.chefdepot.net/agingwildgame.htm

To be fare I also found a site that did not believe it was necessary and may not result in better quality meat. The author went on to say that was his opinion. Apparently this is one subject that cannot be proven either way but I will stay on the side of aging under the right conditions.

They all agree venison is fine without aging but to say it has no positive affect on the meat is very likely incorrect

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m not one to argue a point online but a quick internet search on aging venison comes up with several sites advocating the practice for flavoring and tenderizing the meat. Enzyme action is said to occur in muscle. “There are natural Enzymes in the flesh of all animals.”

http://www.noble.org/Ag/Wildlife/ProperCareOfVenison/

http://www.chefdepot.net/agingwildgame.htm

To be fare I also found a site that did not believe it was necessary and may not result in better quality meat. The author went on to say that was his opinion. Apparently this is one subject that cannot be proven either way but I will stay on the side of aging under the right conditions.

They all agree venison is fine without aging but to say it has no positive affect on the meat is very likely incorrect

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

This arguement is nearly as old as the one about whether or not to shoot does. But I will throw my .02 in. 1) I want venison to eat, I will shott a doe and not feel bad about it one little bit. I have shot bucks and some day will get old mossy horns, until them, I will be eating venison in Dec, not telling stories about the “The Turdy point buck” As far as hanging the deer. In my 25 years of deer hunting, given the fact I learned from my dad and grandpa who had 17 and 41 years of experience when I started. Its ok to hang them for 1-3 days provided the temps are below 40 but longer than that and I feel(and was taught) they start to go bad. I will also emphasize the statement about getting the hide off. We try to get ours off the day its killed. Its easier when its still warm and it helps to cool the carcass down.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

This arguement is nearly as old as the one about whether or not to shoot does. But I will throw my .02 in. 1) I want venison to eat, I will shott a doe and not feel bad about it one little bit. I have shot bucks and some day will get old mossy horns, until them, I will be eating venison in Dec, not telling stories about the “The Turdy point buck” As far as hanging the deer. In my 25 years of deer hunting, given the fact I learned from my dad and grandpa who had 17 and 41 years of experience when I started. Its ok to hang them for 1-3 days provided the temps are below 40 but longer than that and I feel(and was taught) they start to go bad. I will also emphasize the statement about getting the hide off. We try to get ours off the day its killed. Its easier when its still warm and it helps to cool the carcass down.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

This arguement is nearly as old as the one about whether or not to shoot does. But I will throw my .02 in. 1) I want venison to eat, I will shott a doe and not feel bad about it one little bit. I have shot bucks and some day will get old mossy horns, until them, I will be eating venison in Dec, not telling stories about the “The Turdy point buck”

Fish…where did you get this out of my post? I don’t care about whether or not you shoot a doe or buck, I just want to know how long I can keep them outside at the cabin ….weather depending

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

This arguement is nearly as old as the one about whether or not to shoot does. But I will throw my .02 in. 1) I want venison to eat, I will shott a doe and not feel bad about it one little bit. I have shot bucks and some day will get old mossy horns, until them, I will be eating venison in Dec, not telling stories about the “The Turdy point buck”

Fish…where did you get this out of my post? I don’t care about whether or not you shoot a doe or buck, I just want to know how long I can keep them outside at the cabin ….weather depending

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

I have eaten deer left to hang and some not–deer skinned right away and some not. I don’t have anything for proof except my taste buds–I will take a deer hung a week with the hide on every time.

–Whitey

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

I have eaten deer left to hang and some not–deer skinned right away and some not. I don’t have anything for proof except my taste buds–I will take a deer hung a week with the hide on every time.

–Whitey

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I was just making a point that this is “to hang or not to hang” is a very old arguement. I wasn’t trying to ruffle your feathers Slop. I just rememeber my Grandfather and the “old guys” when I was 16-17 arguing both these points on many different occasions.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I was just making a point that this is “to hang or not to hang” is a very old arguement. I wasn’t trying to ruffle your feathers Slop. I just rememeber my Grandfather and the “old guys” when I was 16-17 arguing both these points on many different occasions.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

While I agree there are many different opinions on the subject I feel that if you age ANY meat it will improve its flavor and texture now I will agree that venison is less marbalized than beef but you cant really say its not at all. so if we all agree that there is some marbalization in the meat then it WILL age. Im not trying to force my opinion on anyone I was just trying to answer SLOPS question based on MY experiance. hey SLOP just try to keep it under 40 deg and you will be just peachy
    later C

corey_waller
    hastings mn

While I agree there are many different opinions on the subject I feel that if you age ANY meat it will improve its flavor and texture now I will agree that venison is less marbalized than beef but you cant really say its not at all. so if we all agree that there is some marbalization in the meat then it WILL age. Im not trying to force my opinion on anyone I was just trying to answer SLOPS question based on MY experiance. hey SLOP just try to keep it under 40 deg and you will be just peachy
    later C

gary_wellman
    South Metro

We don’t let our animals age at all.

Within 1 hour of the shot, the deer are gutted and skinned out, generally quartered and the quarters are wrapped in heavy duty garbage bags and chilled.

It is fine to age your meat in a “locker”, but I won’t let hang out in a tree for “bugs” and other micro organisms to grow on…..

I don’t “age” my meat, where it begins to rot…..

If you want tender meat from venison, use meat tenderizers or soak in milk for 24 hours.

If you want specific details, contact your local butcher and ask him his recommendations. I worked in a “locker” for many years during highschool and processed more stinking deer than people could imagine……..

What is more important than hanging deer is just your routine proper care for it.

For example:
    1) Keep the genital tied to prevent the release of urine or other fluids from contacting the meat.
    2) Cut the anus out and tie it off with a string to prevent matter from contacting the meat.
    3) Cut the throat for the purpose of removing the tube from the throat to the chest cavity. The acid in the throat and tube will taint the meat if contacted.
    4) Do not put a “stick” inside the cavity to “cool”. The stick will taint the flavor of the meat. The cavity doesn’t need to “cool”. It is the hind quarters that holds most of the heat in, due to the hide insulating.
    5) Remove ALL tallow. Tallow gives the meat a “gamey” taste. Tallow has no benifit for adding “fat”. Use beef or pork fat, pending on preference and type of “sausage” you plan on making. (summer sausage and sticks should use beef fat, along with burger. All other sausages should use pork fat).
    6) Lastly, wash out your deer with a hose. This removes all blood which will dry and create “gamey” taste and it also helps removes any “matter” that may have contacted the meat during the field dressing process.
    NOTE: by using water to wash down the deer, this accelerates the “aging” process, due to micro organisms attacking the meat. If you choose to wash the deer, it is recommended that immediate cooling or processing is done.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

We don’t let our animals age at all.

Within 1 hour of the shot, the deer are gutted and skinned out, generally quartered and the quarters are wrapped in heavy duty garbage bags and chilled.

It is fine to age your meat in a “locker”, but I won’t let hang out in a tree for “bugs” and other micro organisms to grow on…..

I don’t “age” my meat, where it begins to rot…..

If you want tender meat from venison, use meat tenderizers or soak in milk for 24 hours.

If you want specific details, contact your local butcher and ask him his recommendations. I worked in a “locker” for many years during highschool and processed more stinking deer than people could imagine……..

What is more important than hanging deer is just your routine proper care for it.

For example:
    1) Keep the genital tied to prevent the release of urine or other fluids from contacting the meat.
    2) Cut the anus out and tie it off with a string to prevent matter from contacting the meat.
    3) Cut the throat for the purpose of removing the tube from the throat to the chest cavity. The acid in the throat and tube will taint the meat if contacted.
    4) Do not put a “stick” inside the cavity to “cool”. The stick will taint the flavor of the meat. The cavity doesn’t need to “cool”. It is the hind quarters that holds most of the heat in, due to the hide insulating.
    5) Remove ALL tallow. Tallow gives the meat a “gamey” taste. Tallow has no benifit for adding “fat”. Use beef or pork fat, pending on preference and type of “sausage” you plan on making. (summer sausage and sticks should use beef fat, along with burger. All other sausages should use pork fat).
    6) Lastly, wash out your deer with a hose. This removes all blood which will dry and create “gamey” taste and it also helps removes any “matter” that may have contacted the meat during the field dressing process.
    NOTE: by using water to wash down the deer, this accelerates the “aging” process, due to micro organisms attacking the meat. If you choose to wash the deer, it is recommended that immediate cooling or processing is done.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I don’t age them because I can’t resist cutting those loins out and slapping them on the grill as soon as I get her home. To me nothing beats fresh meat, but I guess it’s what ever you like.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.