Coon Hunting

• fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Anyone here activly coon hunt? Im thinking of trying it this season. I dont got a coon hound but I got an Akita (I know, laugh all you want) thats vicous as hell when it comes to other animals. Any tips for a first timer?

kris_brantner
    My river

when i was younger we had a mountain cur. very fun nites with that dog. anyways, trap a few coon in some live cage traps. tuna is what we always used. the squirrels never really like the tuna so we always got coon except for one time a skunk found it. let the dog bark and growl at the coon in the cage for a while and let it go. hold the dog so the coon gets a good headstart and make sure the cage is pointed towards the woods. after he gets a good hang of it just get the dog to the woods as much as possible. our dog it took a good year or so for him to really click. it takes time. we hunted alot of corn fields (duh) and the bottom lands hold alot of coon also

kris_brantner
    My river

when i was younger we had a mountain cur. very fun nites with that dog. anyways, trap a few coon in some live cage traps. tuna is what we always used. the squirrels never really like the tuna so we always got coon except for one time a skunk found it. let the dog bark and growl at the coon in the cage for a while and let it go. hold the dog so the coon gets a good headstart and make sure the cage is pointed towards the woods. after he gets a good hang of it just get the dog to the woods as much as possible. our dog it took a good year or so for him to really click. it takes time. we hunted alot of corn fields (duh) and the bottom lands hold alot of coon also

kris_brantner
    My river

oops i forgot to put that its very fun and you actually get your money back at the end of the season

kris_brantner
    My river

oops i forgot to put that its very fun and you actually get your money back at the end of the season

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

If any of you are looking to purchase any coon hounds I can get you in touch with my friend. He is currently selling 3 treeing walkers. He needs to sell them because he moved to Cedar Rapids and his parents don’t want to take care of them anymore. PM me if your interested and I will give you his name and number.

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

If any of you are looking to purchase any coon hounds I can get you in touch with my friend. He is currently selling 3 treeing walkers. He needs to sell them because he moved to Cedar Rapids and his parents don’t want to take care of them anymore. PM me if your interested and I will give you his name and number.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Fur prices this year could be lower. I would not go into this looking for a wind fall . But if you like to be out and enjoy nature with your dogs on a brisk nite by all means have at it. I hope your dog will not chase deer or you will have no fun and your dog might end up in the next county. But thats all part of it. Go get em.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Fur prices this year could be lower. I would not go into this looking for a wind fall . But if you like to be out and enjoy nature with your dogs on a brisk nite by all means have at it. I hope your dog will not chase deer or you will have no fun and your dog might end up in the next county. But thats all part of it. Go get em.

timbergrit
    Raymond, Iowa

Joe try to keep your dog from chasing coon into water. They will climb right on top of the dog and kill him. Spinner Dave is right, coon market is full and prices are hard to come by this year. Good luck

timbergrit
    Raymond, Iowa

Joe try to keep your dog from chasing coon into water. They will climb right on top of the dog and kill him. Spinner Dave is right, coon market is full and prices are hard to come by this year. Good luck

shore shinner
    Eau Claire Wi.

say just wondering when does coon season open? the other night when I was sitting in my stand I saw 11 of those things they are pretty hilarious to watch but I’ve never really hunted for them either.

shore shinner
    Eau Claire Wi.

say just wondering when does coon season open? the other night when I was sitting in my stand I saw 11 of those things they are pretty hilarious to watch but I’ve never really hunted for them either.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

In WI they open October 15 I think.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

In WI they open October 15 I think.

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

in MN i don’t think it starts therefore it never ends!! you can enjoy it all year round! i have just started cooning this year and we’ve slayed 12 in a couple bad condition nights! i am allways up for any info any one can give me on coon hound hunting!! slay the little monkeybutts!

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

in MN i don’t think it starts therefore it never ends!! you can enjoy it all year round! i have just started cooning this year and we’ve slayed 12 in a couple bad condition nights! i am allways up for any info any one can give me on coon hound hunting!! slay the little monkeybutts!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.