Calling ALL Sportsman!!!

• duckilr
    Mississippi River

I recieved this email today and wanted to share with all sportsman! As stated in the other post, I sometimes miss the obvious meaning that more than just Wisconsin Sportsman buy wisconsin stamps. Please take the time to read and reply “All Wisconsin Stamp buyers”. Thanks

Subject: WWA E-News – Special Edition – April 29, 2005

Urgent Request for Your Comments on the Raiding of Habitat Stamp Funds

On Tuesday evening, April 26th, habitat stamp funds were raided. We have just spent months successfully protecting the integrity of our habitat stamp funds, only to have them raided by the Joint Committee on Finance. They voted 12-4 to divert funds from the Great Lakes Trout and Salmon Stamp, Turkey Stamp and Waterfowl Stamp to the general Fish and Wildlife account to help balance the DNR budget.

Senator Neal Kedzie, and Scott Gunderson, chairs of the Senate and Assembly Natural Resources Committees, were solid in their support of the integrity of our stamp funds. However, when it came time for them to defend these funds, through some inexcusable mix-up, they had not been provided with the information they requested detailing formal project applications for waterfowl and turkey stamps. Had they had this information it would have been easy for them to show that project funding requests far exceed the amount of available funds. It essentially sent them to a gunfight with an unloaded gun

The current spin some people are putting on this is that they did have the information, or that this is an excuse. That is absolutely not true. I was there. At my insistence the information was rushed over at the last minute, but by then it was too late

Many of you have been calling and e-mailing legislators and it is definitely having an effect. However some legislators are becoming more entrenched and we need to step it up immediately. Here is some suggested language to use in your conversations and e-mails

“I am a waterfowl hunter, turkey hunter, Great Lakes angler, I will not tolerate the unprecedented raid on our stamp funds. Current DNR budgets and fiscal priorities have eliminated most of the habitat work that has been historically done in Wisconsin with funds from our segregated account. The stamp funds remain the last source of habitat funding we can count on. Please revisit the |
    DNR fee package.”

|DO NOT criticize Neal Kedzie or Scott Gunderson – they are on our side. Support them in their efforts to bring trust back to the Fish and Wildlife account spending priorities. Suggest they be given an opportunity to help find an alternative.

These comments are desperately needed in reference to paragraph #2 of Motion #177 which states: addition, adopt Alternative 2 from paper #511, transferring $1,355,100 ($22,600 from turkey stamp revenues, $411,700 from state waterfowl stamp revenues, and $720,800 from Great Lakes trout and salmon stamp revenues) on the effective date of the bill from the continuing balance of the assigned segregated revenue accounts to the balance of the general fish and wildlife account. Read all of Motion #177.

Comment to:

Representative Dan Meyer – (608) 266-7141;
    [email protected]

Representative Dean Kaufert – (608) 266-7505;
    [email protected]

Senator Rob Cowles – (608) 266-0484;
    [email protected]

Senator Scott Fitzgerald – (608) 266-5660;
    [email protected]

Let these guys know they have your support in this battle:

Senator Neil Kedzie – (608) 266-2635;
    [email protected]

Representative Scott Gunderson – (608) 266-3363;
    [email protected]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.