Mushroom Hunting

• fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Well the mushroom season is upon us once again. I have not heard of anyone finding any as of yet but it should not be long now. The earliest I have found them here in eastern Iowa is the 3rd week of April which is just about on top of us. With the warm temps we have had, the sunshine and the rain we received the other day the mushrooms should be popping up any day now here in the Dubuque area. I shouldn’t need to go very far as I had a large elm tree die in the back yard the year before last. This happened about 4 years ago with a couple small elms that had died in the utility ROW behind my house. My daughter and I picked 128 mushrooms between my yard and my neighbor’s yard. I’m hoping they will be there again this year. I will be checking the back yard every day.

A word of caution if you are going out mushroom hunting. The turkey hunting seasons are open so be very careful where you are hunting for mushrooms. Ask permission from the land owner and make certain that nobody is on the property turkey hunting. I had a friend get shot a few years back by a turkey hunter who did not have permission to be on the property he was on. Luckily he was not killed but he spent several hours in the ER having BB’s removed. If you are turkey hunting just make sure of your target before pulling the trigger. It seems like there are several turkey hunters shot every year by other turkey hunters. I cannot understand how anyone could mistake a human for a turkey but it happens every year.

Eyehunter

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any good photos of the type of mushrooms to be looked for. I have always wanted to try this but have not yet. Soulds like looking around elm trees is a good place to start.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any good photos of the type of mushrooms to be looked for. I have always wanted to try this but have not yet. Soulds like looking around elm trees is a good place to start.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I don’t have any photos but I am sure that you could find a few on the internet. They are called morel mushrooms and there are several types but they all look similar. If I had to explain I think I would say they look very similar to a sponge on a thick stem. They vary in height and size from 1″ tall to as large as maybe 8″ tall. They are mainly hunted in the woods. I am fortunate to have found some in my backyard in the middle of the city. Mushrooms are found on the ground as they pop up out of the soil and do not grow on dead trees and stumps like some other fungi do. Mushrooms do like dead elm trees but most often they are found around the dead elms that still have their bark on or just beginning to lose the bark. I have also found them in the middle of briar patches or in areas of the woods that were burned off the year before. I have also found them near stumps from old spruce trees. You may want to check your local DNR web site as I would imagine they have photos of what you would be looking for. I love to eat them but not everybody can stomach them. Try a small amount first and wait a day or two before eating more to see if they bother you. Most people I know have no problem eating them but I do have a friend that gets pretty ill if he eats too-many. I like them sliced in half, rolled in flour and pepper and fried in hot butter then served with fresh walleye. Yum.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I don’t have any photos but I am sure that you could find a few on the internet. They are called morel mushrooms and there are several types but they all look similar. If I had to explain I think I would say they look very similar to a sponge on a thick stem. They vary in height and size from 1″ tall to as large as maybe 8″ tall. They are mainly hunted in the woods. I am fortunate to have found some in my backyard in the middle of the city. Mushrooms are found on the ground as they pop up out of the soil and do not grow on dead trees and stumps like some other fungi do. Mushrooms do like dead elm trees but most often they are found around the dead elms that still have their bark on or just beginning to lose the bark. I have also found them in the middle of briar patches or in areas of the woods that were burned off the year before. I have also found them near stumps from old spruce trees. You may want to check your local DNR web site as I would imagine they have photos of what you would be looking for. I love to eat them but not everybody can stomach them. Try a small amount first and wait a day or two before eating more to see if they bother you. Most people I know have no problem eating them but I do have a friend that gets pretty ill if he eats too-many. I like them sliced in half, rolled in flour and pepper and fried in hot butter then served with fresh walleye. Yum.

Eyehunter

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Here’s a pic!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Here’s a pic!

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Here’s a picture of a morel. Mmmmmmmm

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

Here’s a picture of a morel. Mmmmmmmm

blufloyd

Anyone know of the amazing harvest in west Iowa east Nebraska crop?
    Last year I heard bags full were selling as little as $10 along I 80.

blufloyd

Anyone know of the amazing harvest in west Iowa east Nebraska crop?
    Last year I heard bags full were selling as little as $10 along I 80.

big water
    Andover ,MN

god those things are good with some fresh trout

big water
    Andover ,MN

god those things are good with some fresh trout

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

Ihave not found any mushrooms yet but a friend of my parents found 6 a couple days ago near Jeup, Iowa so they should be out. I’ve been looking while I’ve been out turkey hunting but havent found any myself. Just letting you guys know they are out. Around Jesup is kinda sandy and that warms up quicker than dirt so that could be why they are finding them there. Good luck hunting for mushrooms.

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

Ihave not found any mushrooms yet but a friend of my parents found 6 a couple days ago near Jeup, Iowa so they should be out. I’ve been looking while I’ve been out turkey hunting but havent found any myself. Just letting you guys know they are out. Around Jesup is kinda sandy and that warms up quicker than dirt so that could be why they are finding them there. Good luck hunting for mushrooms.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I found a nice bunch with my kids on Friday. We found about 60 mostly grays but also some nice yellows.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I found a nice bunch with my kids on Friday. We found about 60 mostly grays but also some nice yellows.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.