Hunting Ebike discount

• supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Oh my this has got to be a joke. When has a bicycle become something that the taxpayers need to help with?

Ice Cap

Oh my this has got to be a joke. When has a bicycle become something that the taxpayers need to help with?

The government’s obsession with electric everything and using our tax dollars to support whatever it is they think we should be doing. Because they always know what’s best.

jwellsy

Should illegals get full rebates?

ThunderLund78

Hard to separate this topic from the political swirl it’s already becoming in the span of 3 posts, but I will say my 84 year old dad got an e-bike last year and it’s been awesome for him. He pedals as much as he can for good exercise but loves the power-assist and he can make a whole afternoon out of it instead of sitting in the house and watching cable news turned-up to 11.

Also, by brother-in-law who owns the adjoining 80 acres has one and he uses it to go to-and-from his deer stand. Aside from that, he and my sister regularly go on long trail rides in state parks, etc.

I’m not for government rebates for anything unless it’s across the board, but no sense in not taking advantage of this if you’re in the market.

CaptainMusky

I’m not for government rebates for anything unless it’s across the board, but no sense in not taking advantage of this if you’re in the market.

Right, but where does it end? All this needless taxpayer funded money has to stop.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I want a e bike. Maybe nows the time

ThunderLund78

Right, but where does it end? All this needless taxpayer funded money has to stop.

Ha! I hear ya! If I had that answer, Musky, I would’ve posted it. Then I would go on to solve all the rest of the worlds problems. For those in the market for an eBike but not for the idea of a rebate – ignore this post, go buy an eBike and don’t submit it to the state for the refund. Less taxpayer money spend on rebates. Problem solved.

I hope you can sense my sarcasm, not trying to start anything. I guess that if it gets people outside and off social media yelling at each other, there are probably worse things they can give you a rebate for. But I see your point – no ones offering a rebate for a boat or ATV – at least the ones that run on gas.

B-man

I’ll try signing up for it when it’s available.

Any tax dollar I can get back I’ll go after mrgreen

ThunderLund78

That’s a good perspective B-man. I personally have a lot of things on my list before an e-bike. But I did take my dad’s for a spin and they’re pretty fun. I could see making a fun day trip out of it in some park, etc.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That is quite the…uh…something. As a heads up if you utilize this program you will get a 1099-MISC for the amount of rebate for tax purposes. Anyone want to bet they brag about what a huge success this was as the demand for “free” money is through the roof?

B-man

That is quite the…uh…something. As a heads up if you utilize this program you will get a 1099-MISC for the amount of rebate for tax purposes. Anyone want to bet they brag about what a huge success this was as the demand for “free” money is through the roof?

No doubt.

It’s also worth noting the refund is 50%-75% off (based on income) and only available at retailers who also participate in the program.

Guessing those retailers will also happen to have them listed at full MSRP. If that’s the case the realistic discount will likely end up being more like 20-30% off, but definitely better than nothing.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

To me they look bulky and heavy. How hard are they to peddle?

CaptainMusky

How hard are they to peddle?

They look no harder to pedal than a regular bike but yes they are going to be heavy. I see them all the time but havent ridden one.

10klakes

They are electric assist … effortless to peddle if you have it on the full electric setting, harder the more you turn off the assist.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They are torque machines and are a blast to ride if you have the right bike. The cheaper ones are pretty lame but probably perfect for a older couple.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Not sure it’s going to be worth chasing down for most here, “Income Limits: The program favors individuals with an annual income of $25,000 or less, or $50,000 for married couples filing jointly. If your income exceeds these thresholds, you may still be eligible for a rebate, but at a lower level”

CaptainMusky

So stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. Got it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not sure it’s going to be worth chasing down for most here, “Income Limits: The program favors individuals with an annual income of $25,000 or less, or $50,000 for married couples filing jointly. If your income exceeds these thresholds, you may still be eligible for a rebate, but at a lower level”

I’m going to quit my job. Maybe the government will give me a new electric trolling motor. I’ll live off the lakes and the woods.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ThunderLund78 wrote:</div>

Totally agree.

But then again, that’s what everybody says right until the point where a COVID check, stimulus check, Jessie check, insert giveaway here hits THEIR mailbox. Then they forget all about their objections and race to the bank to cash it.

Government giveaways are always bad. Except, of course, when I can get one.

JEREMY
    BP

So they always say the biggest health concern in this country is obesity so now we wanna give out bikes that dont require exersize, seems brilliant.

CaptainMusky

But then again, that’s what everybody says right until the point where a COVID check, stimulus check, Jessie check, insert giveaway here hits THEIR mailbox. Then they forget all about their objections and race to the bank to cash it.

I never wanted that covid money and didnt get any of the state’s tax surplus, but I did 100% support the PPP program for those that didnt abuse it because the government picked who the winners and losers were. The people I know who were business owners however did not take any of that money.

Johnny

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

I never wanted that covid money and didnt get any of the state’s tax surplus, but I did 100% support the PPP program for those that didnt abuse it because the government picked who the winners and losers were. The people I know who were business owners however did not take any of that money.

How exactly are you determining which businesses did or did not abuse it? You a forensic auditor?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It’s all public record. Go look at some of your local businesses. There are so many more that received money than people realize.

What businesses did with it, and whether or not they were given more than they “deserved” considering the impacts on their business is tough to decipher. Some lined their pockets and upgraded equipment, facilities, etc… while others used it as a lifeline to keep the doors open and make payroll. I won’t pretend to know who did what with the money, but I wish more people knew the PPP information is public and the sheer masses it was given to.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Some random examples here from rural SE MN:

Our local dentist got $309k.

A local trucking company got 2.6 million.

Our local garbage company got 56k

Taxidermists got money.

Farmers got money.

One man lawn mowing companies here got money.

Contractors got money.

In Depth Outdoors got $79k.

CaptainMusky

How exactly are you determining which businesses did or did not abuse it? You a forensic auditor?

I am not a fool to believe that lots of businesses didnt abuse it, its been well documented many that have. What I am saying however is businesses like small bars, restaurants and the like that were basically shutdown and all their employees without work those would be the ones that needed it to keep those people with income. There are others for sure, but those are the ones I think needed something like that to keep them afloat.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

One thing people have to remember is when PPP money was handed out when we did not know the outcome. An Ebike is something that is not needed for people to survive. As others have said if you need a bike to get to work there are many peddle ones available cheap.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t think it’s hypocritical to think you are overtaxed and the govt is a terrible steward of your tax money, and then take advantage of govt programs that give you more of your money back regardless of if it is pre or post taxed money. I do think it’s hypocritical to do exactly that, and then get mad at other people for doing it with another govt program. And all the while I don’t think the overwhelming majority of govt programs should exist.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Man this post got out of hand fast jester

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.