Tree Stand Security

• ragerunner
    Winona, MN

For those of you that use tree stands, do you use any security measures to keep them from being stolen? Maybe a chain or a cable?

I am the National Sales Manager of the Retail Division of a MN chain manufacturer (think tire chains, log chains, etc.) I was recently in Cabela’s and didn’t notice any security products for tree stands. We make a chain that cannot be cut with a hack saw or bolt cutter and thought that it may be a good idea to have something like this on my stands. We could make them with a dull black or camo finish.

Would anyone buy something like this?

Thanks in advance! Now I have a legit reason to check my IDO at work!

jackhunter
    Eagan, MN

What kind of Manufacturing costs/price point would this be selling at?

This would most likely need to be something that is reletively cheap as many would be buying more than one…. I would be interested..

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

There are actually quiet a few options out there. Almost every treestand mfg offers something as well as several accessory mfg’s. And that’s not counting the bike cables available at Walmart and Fleet Farm type stores.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I just use chain as I feel most worthless dirty little thieves are more opportunistic and too lazy to come back with a cutters or saw. nothing would work to keep a determined theif with a chain saw from getting something off a tree. If they were under 10 bucks and plenty long I would buy around 15 just for my love of camo

I second the standard chain or bike lock as well.

If they really want the stand, they are gonna get it no matter what. Just ask the that bypassed my lock last year and chainsawed the entire oak tree down to get my $50 ladder stand.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Quote:

If they really want the stand, they are gonna get it no matter what. Just ask the that bypassed my lock last year and chainsawed the entire oak tree down to get my $50 ladder stand.

I had someone do that up at my cabin to get one of the first hang-on stands I ever bought, think it cost me 20 bucks.

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Thanks everyone. Sounds like a nicer chain may not be needed. Back to the drawing board!

herefishyfishy
    MN

Make it inexpensive enough to be provided with the stand purchase. Talk to some treestand manufacturers and work together. May not make much but sell alot more…Just an idea. Good luck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.