Hummingbird ICE HELIX 5 Chirp GPS G3 Review

• KP
    Hudson, WI

Anyone own one of these units and care to give a review? Thinking about trying to get one tomorrow at the Ice Show if they have them. Been looking to upgrade from my old Marcum VX-1 Pro.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

KP i used the one off of my boat last year and it worked very well.I fish anywhere from 3ft of water to 30 and it worked great even shallow if needed.The gps screen seems small to some but that is incidentel to me.
    I used the flasher more than 2d and sensitivity was very good.I can fish next to vexilar units and take the interference out of the picture.Mine is a gen2 by the way.
    You won’t be disappointed.

mrpike1973

I have the Helix 5 G2 locator. I really like it and now have a Helix 7 and and a Garmin. I find myself wanting the 5 because it is simpler and so much lighter especially for first ice. I like the features I think the jig shows up a hint better on the Helix than the Garmin could be just settings but I would buy one again. I got the 7 inch screens because I’m getting older and don’t see as well but if on just one screen not a split screen it is just fine. Enjoy

wonderbread

I have the Helix 7 and love it. I’d been a diehard Vexilar fan for decades, but the Helix changed that. You won’t regret the purchase.

Aboxy17

For sure get the GPS pack with the Lakemaster it is a huge benefit.

Ripjiggen

Good unit you will like it. Especially from what you are upgrading from.

Iowaboy1

I bought a portable unit and was going to buy the ice ducer separately, of course no one had one so I had to use the open water ducer which worked great.
    In the mean time I had a chance to upgrade to a helix 7 and basically gave the control head away to a fellow member here.
    This spring the correct ice ducer came back in stock and I ordered two of those, one to use and one for a spare if someone else couldnt find one.
    Cant wait to try the 7 out!!

Sloth5202

Like everyone else has said you definitely can’t go wrong with this unit. Honestly, beyond the super high end live scope type sonar I don’t know how anything else can really compete.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.