Humminbird helix 7 ice g2

• john_steinhauer
    p4

Anyone running this unit this year. Looking for some input on it trying to decide between the Helix 7 ice g2, vexilar flx28 or maybe a marcum. Thank you in advance.

wormdunker

Use search there are other threads. But I used mine for the first time and found it to be better than any other flasher I own. Universal usage with GPS, Sonar is second to none. Versatility with various options helps read the fish.

My only concern is long term life. Ice conditions are far different than sitting on a shelf in a store. The buttons get water on them, which turns to ice. Each of my buttons were iced up at on point or another.

But the water was there due to all the fish splashing I had going on so maybe one needs to weigh the positives with the risks.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

I can’t speak to the flx28 or marcum but i can speak to the helix 5 gen2. I took my unit off the boat and built up an ice unit and got on the ice with it yesterday and i was very impressed! Performance was better than my fl12 w/ proview transducer.

backy33

I have used my Helix 7 twice now and have it dialed in. This is one powerful unit. I swapped it for my LX-6 and it has been an amazing graph. I did love my LX-6 but you can’t beat the flasher/graph and GPS all in on unit. It’s the best out there IMHO.

Ryan Scholl

I run a HELIX 7 SI G2N. Love it. ICE 55 doesn’t make it on to the ice anymore.

I’ve used the LX9. cool unit, but its so big. The menu made no sense to me after being used to HB.

Josh Hugel

Hey guys,

I’ve recently purchased the Helix 7 Ice CHIRP G2 unit and its awesome. I am just having trouble with the mapping and GPS aspect of things. I have the FishSmart app which has a lake on there that I would like to purchase, how would I transfer it to my unit. Also, do these units come preloaded with the basemaps? Any additional info would be awesome as I am new to the Humminbird systems.

Thanks

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

They do come preloaded with base maps but the detail isn’t that great. My understanding about the fishsmart app is you can share those maps with your units via Bluetooth but I don’t think these have Bluetooth at least mine doesn’t. Otherwise you will have to buy a lakemaster chip or you can buy certain lakes from Hummingbird and install them onto a micro SD card.

turkeynate
    Iowa

Go with the Helix you won’t be disappointed. I ran mine all last year and loved it. My Vexilar became my backup unit.

yup Helix, they have vastly improved the response on the LCD screen to match a traditional flasher; not sure why someone would spend the $500+ on a traditional flasher without mapping and only hard water use vs the helix now days

Levi Rosendahl

Helix is the way to go… I however went with the Helix 5 g2 over the 7 due to how large the 7 is. I did get the PTC U2 carrying case and shuttle which is great. Various fishing options and GPS is the future of ice fishing in my opinion.

Peder DeKrey

i use a marcum lx7 and 9 love them both took my lowrance hds9 off my boat and using it on my snowmobile with the ice ducer for hole hopping to find fish easier and the gps is nice

Josh Hugel

Has anyone used an m18 Milwaukee battery to power their unit?

You can modify the power source adapters and hard wire a power cord to run off the full battery voltage. Generic $14 adapters are available on Ebay that will work.

The 12v barrel output on the adapter is problematic with a graph, requires tape and luck to get a steady voltage to prevent rebooting.

Here’s a picture of what I use. I had one that fried the 12v output, so I pretty much gutted it and soldered the leads directly to the internal side of the socket rails.

Attachments:
    1. 15434645394775504766798122366948.jpg

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

Hey guys,

I’ve recently purchased the Helix 7 Ice CHIRP G2 unit and its awesome. I am just having trouble with the mapping and GPS aspect of things. I have the FishSmart app which has a lake on there that I would like to purchase, how would I transfer it to my unit. Also, do these units come preloaded with the basemaps? Any additional info would be awesome as I am new to the Humminbird systems.

Thanks

Josh I sent you a pm.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Hugel wrote:</div>

You can modify the power source adapters and hard wire a power cord to run off the full battery voltage. Generic $14 adapters are available on Ebay that will work.

seems like a lot of work and expense when a brand new battery will run you about $20 bucks.

seems like a lot of work and expense when a brand new battery will run you about $20 bucks.

Noted, too much work involved and you can get a lead battery cheap.

I’m seriously willing to suffer through the hassle and expense to increase my modularity while on the ice. I appreciate that I can power my drill or my flasher or my GPS and use a fast AC/DC charger as needed.

I’m waiting on that m18 snowmachine that comes with a extra FREE 200ah battery. I’m eventually hoping to run a battery powered welding rig to fix wheelhouse axles on the ice.

Max Monfort

I’d go with the humminbird helix 5. I run the 7 and the only difference is the price and size. I personally don’t think it’s worth it for the 7 unless you want it on your summer rig. The helix models are by far the best for all around use. It has GPS and waypoint capabilities as well as a SD reader for lake master. Getting the 5 saves you money and you still have the same features as the 7. The 7 is actually quite big with the carrying case and all compared to other flashers and the helix 5.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I went to the St. Paul ice show with the intent of purchasing a Ice Helix 7 primarily for the ability of having maps. Just for smiles I started looking at traditional flashers and was very impressed with the Vexilar FLX-28. I asked what my options would be for mapping (was talking to the guy that was showing me the Helix) and he said he often used the Navionics app on his phone. $10 and it gives you the GPS. I’m already using it in my Hook 2 but didn’t know they had an app with GPS. Picked up the VLX-28 and am anxious to get out there with it.

Now I’m second guessing myself reading these posts razz

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.