Humminbird helix 7 G2 ice problems

• Caleb Zblewski

I recently did the update on my helix to the new 1.830 version and since then I’m have issues picking up my lure without the gain turned way up prior to download I didn’t have any issues at all anyone else experience this or know how to fix it?

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

I’ve been having some issues with my helix 5 this winter too, not sure if it’s related, I’ve played around with all the settings but jigs are very faint unless gain is cranked (11-14) or i’m using a giant bait. It’s especially in deep water (over 25′) and the bottom is very jittery, for lack of a better word. I was in love with the unit last winter and this winter its proven to be so so thus far. might have to go back to the trusty vex… I also experienced a ton of interference when sitting next to a buddy that has a Marcum Countdown and couldn’t get it cleared up with the interference rejection.

Caleb Zblewski

What do you have your chirp ir set at that’s your interference rejection I have never had any issues with interference

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

I cycled through every setting i could think of, still had blips here and there. I would sit in a shack three feet apart from 2 other guys and have no problems, not sure why it’s acting up now… I’m guessing its a combination of high gain and something else… just hoping my transducer isn’t bad.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

G2 SI with the xi 9 1521 ducer

Caleb Zblewski

The Ir set to 6 it’s in the bottom right corner of your screen you will not have any interference usually fishing next to any non helix I only need mine on 3 or 4

Caleb Zblewski

Im just having issues since I did the update with it reading my jig and the bottom bouncing all over and it never used to do that I have a email into humminbird so we will see what they say I have heard of more people having same issues since new software update also

bbuchho90

If you’re in 25′ of water, I would expect to need a gain of 11-14 to pick up your jig, that’s not “cranked” imo. I keep my helix 7 g2 to the lowest gain that displays my jig, and it’s in that range most of the time, around 12 or 13. if you were needing 18 or 19 to even pick your jig up at all, i’d say there’s problem.

When you say the bottom is jittery, do you mean the auto-depth is making the flasher jump, or it’s actually not reading the bottom depth accurately?

That said, i have heard that helix 5’s specifically are hit or miss on causing people issues with the update, moreso than other models.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve been having issues as well. Tried just about everything. My bottom fourth of the graph is all clutter and I can’t see my jig or lure unless the gain is 16 or higher (which I believe is why I’m having so much clutter). Tried adjusting the surface clutter with no luck. Tried different IR settings no luck. I talked to Jeff Anderson from Clam because he uses the same setup and he seemed to thing it was a bad transducer….I’ve been using my trusty FL-18 because of this but I was really pumped for the setup I made with my Helix. Been a frustrating winter with it.

I don’t have any jumping around like the OP is having however.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

yea, I’ve tried every combination of IR, cone angle, other settings, just can’t get it to where it was last winter. I had the thing dialed in last winter and it was perfect, I almost sold my vexilar i was so impressed with the Helix. Last winter I think the highest gain setting i ever went up to was 10, and that was high, most of the time it was 7-8.

The bottom jitter is hard to explain, I set the bottom to read say 19 ft and I see bottom at 17 ft. I know it’s 17 ft because I’ve been fishing the spot for years. it’ll read the bottom at 17, but then the chart will flicker, read 17.1 or 17.2 or 17.3 for a fraction of a second and then go back down to 17.0. I know it’s not reading something on the bottom because the chart has steep square edges and not a nice rounded curve that you would see if a fish was cruising on the bottom or something.

I might try to revert back to an older software version, but, i don’t want to screw my unit up. If anyone hears anything, post it here!

Caleb Zblewski

Ya I have to have gain at 17 to 19 before update like 10 to 15 was max and my bottom is on auto and the depth jumps around before update I never had a problem with the depth jumping around

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

If you can i would definitely go back to the old software revision. I am running the old software and its flawless other than the auto depth which is not a big deal at all. If i have the gain up to 11 i’m using a tiny jig in over 20 ft of water

wormdunker

I also updated to the newest version which was 1.83 I think on my helix 5. It caused similar problems to what you are experiencing. Prior, with 1.64 performance was flawless. I contacted HB CS, explained my situation nicely and they were kind enough to send me the former version of SW.

When you call make sure you know your Ser# they can determine when it was built and with what SW.

Revert back an it will work as you expect.

One other question, do you have the xi 9 1521 ducer? If not you need it for dual spectrum.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Wormdunker, thank you for the great response! I will reach out to Humminbird tonight and see what they can do! I wonder if i have the previous version saved somewhere…

wormdunker

Not worth the risk of using an old copy, I have heard stories of bricking units. Just call HB CS, they are really nice and helpful.

They will send you an email with the SW attached

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I agree with JOEf421, I am still running older software and mine is running great. I am going to stick with old softrware until I hear better things.

bryan t
    Montana

My G2 has 1.54 SW. What did 1.64 fix? Not sure I want to jump to 1.83 with what I’ve heard? I have some similar issues at times.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

If you go to the my humminbird site, register your product with your profile, it will show you what all is included in the new software releases

wormdunker

My G2 has 1.54 SW. What did 1.64 fix? Not sure I want to jump to 1.83 with what I’ve heard? I have some similar issues at times.

I would stick with 1.54. Mine originally had 1.54, HB CS sent me 1.64, when it was determined 1.83 was a mess. I don’t notice a difference between 1.54 and 1.64. No sense if fixing something that isn’t broke. In other words if yours ain’t broke don’t mess with it.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Just wanted to give an update. I got version 1.54 from Humminbird, installed it, haven’t had any of the problems that i was experiencing with 1.84. I’ve only had it out twice since reverting but from what i can tell it’s taken care of the issue.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Glad to hear that Luttes, I absolutely LOVE my helix 5 G2 but the new software is making it hard for me to recommend my buddies buy one. Hopefully humminbird figures that out.

wormdunker

Glad to hear it worked. 1.83 didn’t promise enough for ice fishing users anyway. Not a big deal to me to be running 1.64 or 1.54.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

are you guys running it in ice mode? if so, turn it off, use the graph view, manual depth (not auto, which is likely why you see bottom issues). If you are getting interference you might notice the depth reading moving around but you should “see” a true bottom on the display.

wormdunker

Obviously, do not turn off ICE Mode while ice fishing since you have it working already. You will lose a bunch of stuff that is ICE only, my favorite is GPS waypoints are differentiated with IC when named. It keeps summer and winter waypoints separated.

There are also specific views you will lose.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

I agree. If the older software revision works, then why eliminate the benefit of ice mode.

tornadochaser

I’ve found that since installing the latest update on my H5 DI GPS G2, that when I fish shallow (4-15′), then turn the unit off, and later fish deep, anywhere from 25-40′, that the unit will not lock in on the bottom, nor show a good return on my lure. Humminbird CS recommended hitting the “restore defaults” menu option, and that cleared it up; select the function, cycle power, and boom, locked in a hard bottom return at 33′. My buddy had to do the same on his H7 G2 ice model as well. Bird is aware of this issue.

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Any of you guys have units that are new and CAME with the new software revision? I have two buddies who both want to buy a helix after seeing mine, however i’m hesitant to tell them to go buy it knowing the issues with the 1.83 software revision. I just got of the phone with customer service for humminbird and they told me a new factory unit CANNOT go backwards in software revision. I’m trying to understand if this is an issue with brand new units that came with the new software or older units that were updated?

Tom

I have both the helix7 down imaging g2n and side imaging g2n. When i first used them for ice, i had upgraded to software versions 1.63/1.64. They were so awesome we (me & my sons) quit using our flx28s. Then i upgraded to versions 1.83/1.84 in September last year. When out on the first ice trip this season, had the issue where the bottom reading started skipping around which was annoying when using the graph like we prefer becausethe zoom screen would not stay consistent. I contacted HB and they emailed me software which took the units back to 1.63/1.64. Then in early February they released version 1.90. I installed 1.90 last week and both units are working better than ever. I recommend the latest update to anyone with either unit.

Geoff

I just picked up a new Helix 7 G3 and I am definitely disappointed. Not trolling here but the fish hunter bobber I had was superior in recognizing bottoms and lures. I only get the odd blimp of my largest lures on max or near max settings. And lots of noise and bottom moving. I have software 1.83 and it sounds like that maybe the issue. I will try to update software and see what happens.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.