Humminbird helix 7 G2 ice problems

• wormdunker
    Participant

I just picked up a new Helix 7 G3 and I am definitely disappointed. Not trolling here but the fish hunter bobber I had was superior in recognizing bottoms and lures. I only get the odd blimp of my largest lures on max or near max settings. And lots of noise and bottom moving. I have software 1.83 and it sounds like that maybe the issue. I will try to update software and see what happens.

Just so you know, something is messed up with your set up because what you said about your bobber is NOT possible. In Situations like this I like to check the nut behind the wheel first…..

Did you turn on Ice mode? If no, this is likely your problem.

Do you have an Ice Chirp ducer? If no, then this is likely your problem.

Perhaps 1.83 could be your problem. I understand and 1.90 is now out and has had good reviews by ice users. You cannot go back to anything prior to 1.83 if that is what came on your 7 out of the box.

Good luck.

Geoff
    Participant

Ice mode is on and yes separate transducer for ice fishing. With the gain turned up to 20 (max) in clear mode it wouldn’t pick up a jig or lure in 13 ft of water. Also with the zoom in split screen the zoom screen was quite erratic and did not know where it wanted to stay. The one thing I didn’t turn on after restoring to default options was ‘max mode’ so I’m hopeful that will drastically improve things. I was also told by Humminbird that there are no updates for G3 models (just G2 units at this time).

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

do you have it set for auto depth?

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

the zoom in split screen the zoom screen was quite erratic and did not know where it wanted to stay.

I’ve had this issue too at times. Typically happens on the softest bottoms, like edges of mud flats or piles of semi-decaying weeds. I turned off Auto Depth and set it manually for like 22′. I rarely fish deeper than that unless I’m going for walleyes.

That fixed the only issue I’ve had with the machine. Otherwise, I’m thrilled with it, and I’m about as likely to go back to a mechanical flasher as I am a gas auger.

I’m sorry to hear you guys are having issues. Has anyone done a factory reset of the settings and just started from scratch? Mine was pretty much dialed in out of the box, aside from putting on the A-Scope and setting the Surface Clutter to 3.

My gain is set to 8-10 for walleyes, 11-13 for panfish plastics and spoons, and 13-14 for tiny tungsten jigs with spikes. I usually keep it on 9 for walleye and 13 for panfish.

Geoff
    Participant

Yeah auto depth most of the time. I set it manually as well which helped prevent the display from being erratic at times.

Even on max mode with gain set to full (20) I couldn’t pick up my lures very well at all. We fished in 10-20ft of water. I took pictures and a video and Humminbird wants me to send the results in so they can analyze ice mode on the Helix 7 G3. I’m sure a software update (when it becomes available for the G3 units) will improve the functionality of the unit.

Geoff
    Participant

Here is a pic of my screen in 12 ft of water max mode and full gain of twenty. Lure used was a medium size jig with a minnow on hook. Screen is hard to see b/c it was bright out but you can just see one tiny blue spot on the graph view (right window).

Attachments:
    1. 2A506F41-C439-4CCE-BC84-18D179537360.jpeg

B-man
    Participant

Dumb question for you Geoff, but I have to ask…..

Was your transducer below the bottom of the ice??

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

That’s unusual. On a gain of 20 the screen should look like a kaleidoscope of colors.

Even if the ducer was only 6″ into the hole, you’d still be picking up the sides of the hole at the top of the screen.

Did the thing ever work right? Is it under warranty?

Have you tried the update?

No offense, but do you have a habit of dropping your ducer into semi-frozen holes and bouncing it off the ice? Maybe the ducer crapped out. Did you inspect it for cuts or unusual bumps underneath the rubber cable cover?

I think you’re gonna be sending it in. I’d get it in the mail soon so you can have some late-ice action when it gets back.

Geoff
    Participant

I had it set up so the transducer was basically flush with bottom of the ice (+ or – a couple inches, ice was about 40” thick so hard to know exactly). I didn’t want it dangling too far below the ice line b/c I thought it may get tangled if a fish was on.

Do you think having it down farther well clear of the ice would give better returns?

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

Do you think having it down farther well clear of the ice would give better returns?

No. If it’s clear of the hole, it could be 1″ or 1′ under the ice and it wouldn’t matter.

Geoff
    Participant

Transducer is only 3 weeks old. According to Humminbird the new 1.90 software update doesn’t apply to G3 models so I am stuck with the 1.83 software for now.

No dropping, dragging of transducer, I am pretty particular and treat my gear well. I will wait and see what Humminbird says. New ice transducer is probably step #1 and if the functionality is still subpar then I’m thinking it may be a software issue.

wormdunker
    Participant

I know you answered this already but I am still curious to know if it is actually in ICE mode.

Setting in ICE mode is a little tricky in that when in Ice mode the option says Open water or normal or something to that effect if I am not mistaken.

Have you tried switching between ice and normal mode while on ice to insure you are actually in ICE mode? IF not, try it.

I know when I first got my helix that was a bit confusing.

Blair
    Participant

Today when using my Helix 7 Ice G2 I set up in 27′ of water and I couldn’t mark my jig. I thought it was because I was fishing closer then normal to my buddy. I adjusted some settings but still no luck. I can’t explain why but for whatever reason I lowered the transducer to a foot below the bottom of the ice and it worked flawlessly. Like I said I can’t explain why that made a difference but it did.

B-man
    Participant

Another super-simple thing to do when having issues seeing small returns (your jig) is to wipe off the bottom of the transducer.

Microscopic bubbles (or ice from hole hopping) can form on it and cause some problems. It seems to happen more if there is a big temperature difference of your transducer compared to the water (whether it be a lot warmer, or a lot colder) when you drop it in the hole.

Bubbles can also happen if the transducer is in one hole for a long period of time (several hours).

A quick swipe on your pant leg can make a world of difference.

This goes for any brand of ice ducer, not just Humminbird.

….and Geoff….take that damn factory film off the screen….it reminds me of guys that fish with the plastic over the cork on a rod ) lol

It’ll reduce the glare too!

luttes
    Participant
    Maplewood/WBL

Hey All,
    Apparently Humminbird released G2 software version 2.0 back at the end of march. I just upgraded and it fixed my issue of 0% battery and transducer not firing. Not sure how that wasn’t more broadly communicated, especially when I had a support ticket open with Humminbird..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.