Humminbird – Boat Icon not matching direction of travel.

• gonefishin

Hi, I took ownership of a new Ranger this spring with new HB Helix G3. All season I have been battling an issue in the that boat icon at times does not match the direction traveled. This is starting to get to be a serious problem when fishing at night and the boat icon not pointing in the direction be traveled. Here is some info on the set up and what has been done to trouble shoot. HB does not have any good recommendations.

2020 Ranger 620 FS
    Helix12 MSI and Helix 10 at console. Helix 10 only used for mapping.
    Helix12 MSI at bow.
    MK Ulterra with I-pilot link
    All are connected through the port
    Software at latest 2.28 but did not install the base map.
    Lakemaster MN V9, latest release in the Helix 10
    Lakemaster MN V2 in both Helix12
    AS GPS mounted on back gunnel starboard location where Ranger mounts from the factory
    Normal set up is Helix12/10 at the console using AS GPS
    Helix12 at bow using I-pilot

Steps taken to trouble shoot.
    Check calibration of AS GPS, within a couple of degrees
    Screws are as shipped with AS GPS
    Checked for interference with compass
    Voltage is good
    Moved AS GPS location
    Using switch changed from starting battery to TM battery for power
    When occurs have tried these setting changes, does not solve the problem
    Off/on power to units
    Reset to factory defaults multiple times with power cycle after setting to defaults, will work okay for awhile but within a days fishing always comes back.
    Changed heading, North up, heading up, course up
    Switch H10 from AS GPS to internal
    Switch console Helix12 from AS GPS to internal
    Switch console Helix 10/12 to use each others internal
    Swapped Helix12 from bow to console

I was leaning towards sending the AS GPS in to HB but since the units can switch to internal and still have the problem, thinking it can’t just be the AS GPS. Also hard for me to believe that all three units would have problem.

Looking for any other thoughts on how to trouble shoot.

Attachments:
    1. Heading.png

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Every GPS I’ve owned has a hard time with direction of travel at trolling speeds but work well at speeds over 2 mph.

Ripjiggen

My Lowrance don’t have that problem. Shows me which direction I am pointed at rigging speeds.
    That would drive me a little bit nuts.
    Have you contacted Hummingbird to see if they have any ideas?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Also, I’m guessing this aggravates you because your using ‘heading up’

Imo heading up is just graph chaos. Use N up and watch your line.

gonefishin

I don’t know how other units work, but with HB Helix, if the speed is under 0.6MPH the icon is replaced with just a circle. So if you want to have the boat icon showing the direction of travel standing still or under 0.6mph a AS GPS puck is required which has a built in compass.
    It happens at all speeds and happens also with N up. I am a headings up guy. Just can’t seem to get used to N up.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

If I am reading this correctly in heads up mode your unit will be using the heading sensor to determine the direction your boat is pointing at not the travel direction shown as the green line. So according to your picture it appears you are traveling in a different direction then your boat is pointing if this is not true then no need to read any further. I’m guessing you are using a heading sensor because you are moving slow but don’t want the map spinning. So what I’m saying it appears that it is working like it should appears that the wind is blowing you sideways. If you are moving faster you could use the course up but it will not work correctly unless you are moving, or as others have said you can use north up but I struggle with this option and use the heads up. Good luck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.