Hulu subscribers

• paul56068

Anyone use this streaming service? Do they have Fox Sports North and the other outdoor channels available?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I didn’t find a clear answer to your question. They do offer a 7 day free trial so I guess you could go that route to find out.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

We use Hulu. We have Fox Sports North, Fox Sports Plus, FS1, FS2, various ESPN channels CBS Sports, BTN, BTN1, and NBCSN, there may be some I missed. So lots of sports choices.

B-man

We have it too, lots of sports channels, but no hunting/fishing that I know of.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I believe you have to get Hulu+, regular Hulu has limited cable options and primarily streaming their content. I could be wrong, but we have Hulu+ and it’s great for the most part, and have almost all the sports channels except NFLN. Since most of the good Thursday games are on regular Fox, it’s not a big deal imo.

huntinforfish

A couple of family members have Hulu Plus and they are happy with it. The on demand features are nice.

Neil K

Highly suggest YouTube TV – the most sports channels.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve been using Hulu+ for about a month. Has pretty much all the sports channels one could ask for except the outdoor network/outdoor channel.

Nice Fella

We finally became totally fed up with DirectTV after they were acquired by AT&T. Apparently we were not the only ones leaving as, according to the financial news reports they are bleeding customers by the 100’s of thousands.
    Anyway, we also went the Hulu/Netflix/AmazonPrime streaming route. It is a little tricky, and not quite like just sitting down with a clicker and going through the channels, but you get used to it. Like others said, no dedicated outdoor channels, but I figure there’s enough content on youtube for me to get to. Also, we needed to purchase Gooogle Chromecast gadgets for 2 of our not-so-smart TV’s, and there are two models: one for on-demand content $30, one that supports live content $60. There are DVR features included. Overall we have been satisfied, and way ahead with the lower cost of streaming. We had Magnolia, part of Best Buy, set it all up for us as we added another TV monitor and a sound receiver. You’ll also want decent bandwidth.
    But other than all that – IT’S A SNAP! jester

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We love Hulu+ – has all the sports channels but does lack the Outdoor Channel. There is some additional content you can search for and get some outdoors shows.

Do the free trial. Since it’s month to month you can then cancel anytime.

JoeMX1825
    MN

has anyone who cut the cable TV cord done a detailed analysis of what your old Cable TV & Internet bill was vs your new Internet + All the streaming services you sign up for costs? (Assuming you get as close to the same channels as you got before)

from the quick review of what I watch, the savings would basically be nothing (if not paying more) and you then have to deal with navigating all of your different services all the time???

for comparison sake, my Comcast bill (Internet + 180+ HD TV channels) is $140 per month after all the bs taxes…

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We net about a $40 per month savings but we get Netflix through T Mobile for free.

Our Comcast was close to $160. We pay $45 for Hulu all in, $65 for wireless, and about $10 for Amazon (taking the annual subscription fee divided by 12).

It saves money and you get alot more options than just cable.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Our Comcast was close to $160. We pay $45 for Hulu all in, $65 for wireless, and about $10 for Amazon (taking the annual subscription fee divided by 12).

I was curious what the difference was for Comcast internet+TV versus internet only. I always assumed they’d jack up your internet prices if we backed out of the cable+internet bundle, essentially negating savings from cutting the cord. Is this not the case from those who’ve done it?

Deuces

I’m assuming most streaming tv options would have just the regular YouTube app correct, not YT tv just regular YouTube. Wouldn’t most those shows on outdoor networks be available on that?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

We have it too, lots of sports channels, but no hunting/fishing that I know of.

Look for carbon tv in the roku apps, totally free. TONS of hunting and fishing.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

We are fairly happy with Hulu+, but it is a bit of a different experience.

We saved like $100 a month by getting out of comcast cable, without any sort of impact on what we watch, so that’s good.

The writing is on the wall though that eventually these streaming services could change/kill cable and satelite. However, instead of paying $150 for comcast cable every month to get all your channels and features, you’ll instead be paying:

$15 for netflix
    $xfor amazon prime
    $50 for hulu+
    $15 for disney+
    $10 for NBC streaming solely to watch The Office
    etc.

and eventually as content is managed and compartmentalized even further, we may just be right back at the same price as before, just with more subscriptions to manage.

JoeMX1825
    MN

We are fairly happy with Hulu+, but it is a bit of a different experience.

We saved like $100 a month by getting out of comcast cable, without any sort of impact on what we watch, so that’s good.

The writing is on the wall though that eventually these streaming services could change/kill cable and satelite. However, instead of paying $150 for comcast cable every month to get all your channels and features, you’ll instead be paying:

$15 for netflix
    $xfor amazon prime
    $50 for hulu+
    $15 for disney+
    $10 for NBC streaming solely to watch The Office
    etc.

and eventually as content is managed and compartmentalized even further, we may just be right back at the same price as before, just with more subscriptions to manage.

Philtickleson – in your example above aren’t you forgetting about the actual Internet bill ontop of all your services? I’m assuming the $150 per month comcast quote you gave was your TV channels AND Internet? I just looked at Comcasts website and for upto 175mbps Internet is $79 per month, yes you can get cheaper Internet plans, but they cap off at 75mbps, not enough to properly stream shows with everything else (phones, ipads, etc) connected to your network.

That’s kind of the point I was getting at and what I found in my limited investigation of what “cutting the cord” actually saves somebody. You do pay a higher per month Cable Internet bill by not bundling with Cable tv and then once you add up all of the “other” services you select to get some programming, the end result isn’t that much savings and adds some hassle in how you access your programming (different interfaces with different remotes with different types of content)

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I believe our savings was over 100.00 a month and that includes the Internet service. We also purchased our own Router and Modem. It will take about a year to recover the cost for that. I’m still struggling a little to get use to the whole new setup – But them again I’m more than a little technology challenged.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Been on Hulu+ for 2 years, and pay about what Matt does. About $65 for internet, and about $45 for hulu. We had a landline too, which we moved over to magic jack (small kids in the home yet), that was $35 per year.

We went from about $220 a month to $115 or so per month (including the magic jack).

We also moved over to total wireless from verizon about 2 years ago. We saved about a hundred a month there to be on the same exact network too.

catmando
    wis

When Sling dropped the sports channels, I went with U Tube tv, 49 bucks a month, I consider it savings, chances are you’re going to have internet anyhow. DK.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

has anyone who cut the cable TV cord done a detailed analysis of what your old Cable TV & Internet bill was vs your new Internet + All the streaming services you sign up for costs? (Assuming you get as close to the same channels as you got before)

from the quick review of what I watch, the savings would basically be nothing (if not paying more) and you then have to deal with navigating all of your different services all the time???

for comparison sake, my Comcast bill (Internet + 180+ HD TV channels) is $140 per month after all the bs taxes…

We bought x3 “Fire Sticks” on Black Friday for like $20 and pay for Hulu+ and then internet through our local provider. The total monthly cost for internet, HULU+ Live TV and the Amazon content is at about $95 for us. The benefit of the sticks is that if we want to throw a TV in the driveway/garage, or even put 2 or 3 in the mancave at once during March Madness…all you do is plug in and play. The “Fire Sticks” also have a ton of content if you or your significant other has Amazon Prime. So far we are netting about $50 a month savings and effectively have 3 “boxes” to use throughout the house and enjoy the portability and extra content. The 70″ in the basement is a smart TV so we don’t need the stick there unless watching the extra Amazon content.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We went from Comcast’s best package with all the movie channels, to Roku Stick + Hulu+ and HBO (we had netflix and amazon prime before and now so that didn’t change), and I want to say we are saving about $120/month. All my outdoor shows are on FSN or You Tube, so I didn’t really miss anything.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Philtickleson – in your example above aren’t you forgetting about the actual Internet bill ontop of all your services? I’m assuming the $150 per month comcast quote you gave was your TV channels AND Internet? I just looked at Comcasts website and for upto 175mbps Internet is $79 per month, yes you can get cheaper Internet plans, but they cap off at 75mbps, not enough to properly stream shows with everything else (phones, ipads, etc) connected to your network.

Yeah, I don’t remember the actual numbers, so that was meant to kind of illustrate the point, we DO still pay for Comcast internet. I want to say we were in the ~$200-$220 range for internet + cable + phone(we dropped the landline).

It’s crazy how much good content is out there being produced by Netflix/Amazon/etc. though. I find that there are very few if any network TV shows that I miss.

I will be more excited once we get fiber in my area though :).

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I switched to Hulu when sling dropped fox. It’s ok. I have had buffering issues when watching twins and the wild. No it’s not my WiFi or internet. I switch over to the Fox Sports go app on the roku and everything works fine. There is definitely a buffering issue with Hulu live tv. Overall I’m am fairly pleased no may go back to sling if they get fox back though.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There is definitely a buffering issue with Hulu live tv.

This is definitely true, and my biggest complaint. It’s not bad enough to want to scrap the whole thing, but it is a pain and seems to happen during sports almost exclusively. My other, related, complaint is pausing/DVR’ing live shows it can jump around and also not let you fast forward commercials. Again not a huge deal but frustrating at times.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Had the same issue with PlayStation vue. It was unwatchable. I really think it was only on programs or channels of high demand.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>
    There is definitely a buffering issue with Hulu live tv.

This is definitely true, and my biggest complaint. It’s not bad enough to want to scrap the whole thing, but it is a pain and seems to happen during sports almost exclusively. My other, related, complaint is pausing/DVR’ing live shows it can jump around and also not let you fast forward commercials. Again not a huge deal but frustrating at times.

That’s weird. I’ve been using Hulu + live at home and at the lake for about 5 months and only had any buffering maybe 3 times total and each time was only for a few seconds.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Some need a high mbps internet plan, but sometimes it seems like people have a higher plans than truly needed. We have right around 50 mbps and have never had an issue with two tvs streaming and two smartphones connected. A smartphone or laptop browsing IDO or other site doesn’t take much. A large family with everyone streaming a show will need more.. but what happened to watching things as a family?. Comcast’s website says 75 mbps is enough for 5 devices lightly streaming, listening to music etc. 4k content does use a lot more bandwidth than normal hd fy.

Other ways to save- give them a call and tell them you can’t afford the bill anymore or threaten to switch. We called Comcast the other week after jacking our rate told them we couldn’t afford it for what we were getting (not a lie), they lowered it with no problem.
    -Watch for new member promotions. Cancel and next day have your spouse call in for the promotion, they are considered new as they have a different S.S. number. A coworker had their 18 yo call in for them one time jester Plenty of info on this around the web.
    – Buy your own router/modem. Providers charge a monthly rental fee for theres.

B-man

It buffers occasionally for me to watching live games.

I’ll exit the app and hop right back on and it goes away.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

My mom streams through Hulu and, aside from the occasional buffering, I’ve also noticed that it’s slightly delayed. Usually not an issue depending on what you’re watching but when watching the Twins I always got MLB app updates on my phone 1-2 minutes prior to seeing the action on the screen. I’d imagine the same could be said if listening on the radio and watching at the same time.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.