Huge Dilemma

• B-man

I went to school and was friends with a kid we later nicknamed Poacher Pat

He had an obsession with “having” to break the law. If the limit was 25 crappies, he couldn’t help himself and stop there, he always had to keep a few more. Same with ducks, he wasn’t done hunting until he had seven or eight.

He was a friend, and his violations that I knew of were pretty minor so I never turned him in.

He told stories about shining deer by the UP and shooting them, but I never witnessed it and always thought he was embellishing some.

When we were in our early 20’s, Pat got a job working with an excavating company in the cities. It was a bit of a drive from Wisconsin, but the pay was good (a lot of us did the same thing and still do right out of highschool).

One day they were on a new development and a HUGE buck walked behind the backhoe. It was a suburban deer acting extra stupid during the rut (archery season was open).

The next day, without thinking or any restraint, he brought his bow with to work….. jester

The buck came on the job site again, just as he did the day before. Pat ran to his car and grabbed his bow, then proceeded to shoot the giant buck right in front of the whole crew.

The deer ran off and ended up dying in someone’s backyard…He hurriedly dragged the deer back into the woods for the day and covered it up with leaves. At the end of the day he got his car as close as he could and stuffed it into his backseat, he said tried the trunk first but the rack was so big it wouldn’t allow the trunk to close lol

Being dark out now, he wasn’t worried about getting busted on his drive back home to Wisconsin.

When he got home, he had his Dad tag the deer for him (Pat had already filled his WI archery tag). They went and registered it in town and had a story already made up yay

They cut up the buck that night and dropped the head and cape off the next day at the taxidermist.

Of course this entire time he had to blab the story to everyone he knew, myself included. Even though the buck was huge, none of us were impressed with how the event went down. At the same time none of us were going to turn him in since he was a friend, they were going to eat the deer, and it was tagged (albeit illegally).

I asked him why he didn’t just buy a MN tag and shoot it somewhat “legally” (other than being in city limits). He responded, f-that, that would be a waste of money…

As you could imagine, a couple days later he and his Dad heard a knock at the door. It was a couple guys in green uniforms, one with a Wisconsin badge, the other with a Minnesota badge.

They blew Pat and his Dad’s story out of the water, confiscated the meat and bow on site, then went to the taxidermist and confiscated the head.

A few weeks later they had their day in court. Pat figured he would get a slap on the wrist and a couple hundred dollar fine.

Well…as it turns out…since he was too cheap to buy a MN tag to kill the deer, he and his Dad both violated the Lacey Act by bringing an un-tagged illegally killed animal across state lines hah

All of Pat’s hunting and fishing privileges were revoked for 3 YEARS in Wisconsin, Minnesota and pretty much anywhere else worth going to hunt and fish.

His Dad was let off a little lighter, and was revoked for just one year if I remember right.

Moral of the story, poaching doesn’t pay. A short burst of joy and adrenaline can cost you years of enjoyment and thousands of dollars.

To this day Pat’s buck can be seen on the WI DNR Wall-of-Shame display that travels the state.

Nobody knew who turned him in, but he always figured it was one of the guys on his crew who witnessed him killing it (and was most likely the case).

stout93
    Becker MN

I went to school and was friends with a kid we later nicknamed Poacher Pat

He had an obsession with “having” to break the law. If the limit was 25 crappies, he couldn’t help himself and stop there, he always had to keep a few more. Same with ducks, he wasn’t done hunting until he had seven or eight.

He was a friend, and his violations that I knew of were pretty minor so I never turned him in.

He told stories about shining deer by the UP and shooting them, but I never witnessed it and always thought he was embellishing some.

When we were in our early 20’s, Pat got a job working with an excavating company in the cities. It was a bit of a drive from Wisconsin, but the pay was good (a lot of us did the same thing and still do right out of highschool).

One day they were on a new development and a HUGE buck walked behind the backhoe. It was a suburban deer acting extra stupid during the rut (archery season was open).

The next day, without thinking or any restraint, he brought his bow with to work….. jester

The buck came on the job site again, just as he did the day before. Pat ran to his car and grabbed his bow, then proceeded to shoot the giant buck right in front of the whole crew.

The deer ran off and ended up dying in someone’s backyard…He hurriedly dragged the deer back into the woods for the day and covered it up with leaves. At the end of the day he got his car as close as he could and stuffed it into his backseat, he said tried the trunk first but the rack was so big it wouldn’t allow the trunk to close lol

Being dark out now, he wasn’t worried about getting busted on his drive back home to Wisconsin.

When he got home, he had his Dad tag the deer for him (Pat had already filled his WI archery tag). They went and registered it in town and had a story already made up yay

They cut up the buck that night and dropped the head and cape off the next day at the taxidermist.

Of course this entire time he had to blab the story to everyone he knew, myself included. Even though the buck was huge, none of us were impressed with how the event went down. At the same time none of us were going to turn him in since he was a friend, they were going to eat the deer, and it was tagged (albeit illegally).

I asked him why he didn’t just buy a MN tag and shoot it somewhat “legally” (other than being in city limits). He responded, f-that, that would be a waste of money…

As you could imagine, a couple days later he and his Dad heard a knock at the door. It was a couple guys in green uniforms, one with a Wisconsin badge, the other with a Minnesota badge.

They blew Pat and his Dad’s story out of the water, confiscated the meat and bow on site, then went to the taxidermist and confiscated the head.

A few weeks later they had their day in court. Pat figured he would get a slap on the wrist and a couple hundred dollar fine.

Well…as it turns out…since he was too cheap to buy a MN tag to kill the deer, he and his Dad both violated the Lacey Act by bringing an un-tagged illegally killed animal across state lines hah

All of Pat’s hunting and fishing privileges were revoked for 3 YEARS in Wisconsin, Minnesota and pretty much anywhere else worth going to hunt and fish.

His Dad was let off a little lighter, and was revoked for just one year if I remember right.

Moral of the story, poaching doesn’t pay. A short burst of joy and adrenaline can cost you years of enjoyment and thousands of dollars.

To this day Pat’s buck can be seen on the WI DNR Wall-of-Shame display that travels the state.

Nobody knew who turned him in, but he always figured it was one of the guys on his crew who witnessed him killing it (and was most likely the case).

Who here thinks that Pat or his old man ever quit hunting during those years when they had no license?

Taking away “privileges” from poachers means absolutely nothing…

That’s why you have Pat and the OPs friend flaunting what they illegally do, even if they get caught, they know nothing drastic will happen..99% of the time.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The loss of a truck and equipment is nothing to sneeze at but I agree loss of hunting or fishing privilege’s doesn’t hurt much. Maybe a minimum of a $10,000 fine or 180 days in jail would make people think twice?

Jonesy

I am sort of surprised by the responses in here. Every once in a while we get a new post about people over their possession limit for fish. Always seems to be people suggesting the punishment isn’t severe enough. But now because it’s a “friend” people soften their stance.

If it was me I would likely have told him to stop or that I would report him. Yes I know that he likely would stop sharing this info with me. That would be fine because I would not want to know.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Tough one for sure. But knowing that he does this it might eat at you and the relationship the longer you go without either getting him to stop or reporting him.

LabDaddy1

Agree with stout and DB- not even NEAR severe enough consequences for that d-bag from b-man’s story. That guy needs to learn a lesson. Huge fines, jail time, whatever. Maybe even something not administered by government/officials… whistling chased smash toast

Yuck, what a dirtbag woodchuck!

blackbay
    mn

I know a person that is a poacher.

I’ve spoken to him about it and he keeps poaching.
    He just sent me a picture of one he got this morning and thinks it’s funny.
    Prominent person in the area, church goer, but just is a deer poacher.
    He doesn’t need the meat or mounts.
    I’ve known this person for over 40 years. I consider him a friend and because of certain circumstances I see him quite a bit.

What do you do?

Edit – If I turn him in he will know it’s me.

I think everyone assumes you’re talking poaching as in taking deer at night, over bait, outside the season etc. If so those types of cases take time to come together. A CO won’t just stop at the guys house and arrest him. Like others have said I’m betting he’s talked to others. No way this blows back on you.

Onthewater

Man, surprised by all the wishy washy responses here, I thought this group was all about law and order?

**George Floyd gets executed publicly for allegedly using a fake $20 bill and later allegations about using fentanyl or having that in his system**

“Well you know, he shouldn’t have been in that position, if you don’t want to be murdered by the police, maybe don’t break any law ever under any circumstance no matter what. He was a drug user, so obviously he was no saint, he probably deserved it. Who know what crimes this guy COULD have committed in the past you know?”

** My ‘friend’ is constantly sending me irrefutable evidence of poaching, a clear breach of the law and on top of that, a law that outdoorsmen should take very seriously. Also, guy attends a church. **

“Oh golly, that’s a dilly of a pickle there. That must be so hard for you EPG, maybe just politely ask him, but I’d hate for you to have to ruin a friendship over something so trivial as breaking a few eensy-weensy poaching laws. Maybe just let him keep doing it, after all, it’s a ‘victim-less’ crime.”

Put your money where your mouth is. You don’t get to have it both ways. Turn this dude in. Do it anonymously if you want. Weird how people’s opinions/attitudes change when they are personally involved eh?

Phil tickelson I thought you got the boot so we didn’t have to read your posts anymore.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

jester jester Good one!!

MX1825

Phil tickelson I thought you got the boot so we didn’t have to read your posts anymore.
    [/quote]

LMAO!!
    rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

wormdunker

I once watched guy continually commit a crime and numerous game violations on the same lake for a couple weeks. The first time I witnessed him, I wasn’t 100% sure what I was seeing. The second time, I was sure and I began taking photos and videos. I took photos and videos of him committing the offenses live. At the suggestion of the DNR, I took photos of his car, plates and boat trailer. He did the same things on 6 separate occasions over about 2 weeks time. Each time I called the DNR and law enforcement and reported him via the TIP app on my phone. I shared all the videos and phots via the APP. Each time, the DNR would call me but never get there on time, he was always gone by the time they arrived.

Eventually, I wrote the guy a note, I provided all the details of his offenses and put it on his car windshield. I let him know everything I witnessed him doing and the days I watched him. I also let him know the authorities informed me they were looking out for him. I never saw him again. The local authorities have everything they need should they run into the guy, I feel like I did my part and have no guilt. If we don’t look out for and protect the natural resources we enjoy, who will?

rsee

You would be just one part in the criminal justice system: the reporting party. You never know if it would get investigated, if anyone would get charged, if it would go to trial, if it would get plead out, if the subject would be convicted or something other, or what the sanctions would be if found guilty or plead guilty.

Good luck in your decision.

Slipbob nick

Classic psychological technique/Jedi mind trick that may help with this. Instead of telling a person that they do stuff super stupid currently it’s very helpful to give an example of how someone else used to do something a dumb way and how much better it works now for them.

Maybe start bringing up poaching stories to him from the cuffs and collars of the outdoor news. Could add in what a lowlife dirtbag that guy must be etc for effect. Passive agressive but we are in Minnesota.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.