How's the bite on Bde Maka Ska…

• BrianF

There is a sign reminding me that I’m crossing the Paleface River each time we drive to the cabin in N. Minnesota. Strangely, I’m not offended by that – even though I’m Caucasian.

Back to the question of the original post, I will be checking the bite on the newly-coined Bde Maka Ska later this week.

Brian

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Heck, we have Coon Rapids.

Heck…I live in Coon Rapids. Reminds me to get started on changing the name campaign. How about Inclusiveness Rapids. jester

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

The bite out there has been pretty slow for me the last 3 trips out. How about you other guys who fish it?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Might try Calhoun now, Harriet sucked yesterday.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    all the pressing issues that could be addressed for the natives… and this is what they are working on ? I guess it makes some people feel better…

I don’t believe “the natives” were a driving force behind the change. If I’m wrong feel free to enlighten us all.

Where did I say they were ? hence my comment “makes some people (guilt ridden pale faces) feel better” comment. Changing the name of Lake Calhoun did nothing to address the drug problems or the crime and low employment rate the natives face on the reservations… maybe working on that would better serve the tribes and then the pale faces could really puff out their chests, with something that makes a real difference in their lives.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Still got the blinders on G.

P2F was eluding to the fact it wasn’t the “guilt ridden pale faces” intentions of appeasing the Natives, rather to the black folks who didn’t appreciate an ex slaveholder name.

As I recall this whole idea was brought up around same time when BLM was hitting the streets.

Anything Native related to this change was simply by chance. 2 birds one stone comes to mind.

So please feel free to stop reiterating native issues, as real as they are, wasn’t a part of this narrative.

big_g
    Isle, MN

As long as the pale face feel good, that is all I am eluding too. Read what you want into it, might even be able to tie the Russians into it.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Where did I say they were ? hence my comment “makes some people (guilt ridden pale faces) feel better” comment. Changing the name of Lake Calhoun did nothing to address the drug problems or the crime and low employment rate the natives face on the reservations… maybe working on that would better serve the tribes and then the pale faces could really puff out their chests, with something that makes a real difference in their lives.

They way your original comment was worded, it wasn’t possible to tell that you weren’t connecting “they” back to the natives. You hadn’t mentioned any group by name other than “natives.”

I have no strong feelings about the name of the lake. Bde Maka Ska is a heck of a lot more fun to say than Calhoun, so I’ll roll with it. It obviously has grumpy dudes in a tizzy and I’m always game to contribute to that cause.

big_g
    Isle, MN

????

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DaveB wrote:</div>
    If it were a statue and plaque in a park, that is one thing. But the name of something? Come on. Once we go down that path it will never end. I am sure some natives who were assholes too! None of us our pure. Our former president has photos taken with Louis Farrakhan, should we take his name of schools around here?

For arguments sake, how would you feel if you were a black kid going to Robert E. Lee High School? Wouldn’t you feel a little bit offended…or not at all because it’s just a name?

First of all, the lake in question isn’t the full name, so I think it is an apples and oranges comparison. For all I knew, it was named after Bugsy Calhoun or some mayor in the 1800s.

If I was a black child and went to Robert E Lee high school? It sounds like a great chance for a learning opportunity. What was the Civil War about, what was Lee’s role, why wasn’t Lee executed for treason, what was his role during reconstruction. Wouldn’t that be better than hiding from the past?

Meanwhile, today, we have Keith Ellison hanging out with Farrakhan as recently as 2013 and nobody cares. I guess hatred and racism are only important if the one spewing hate is white. Ellison is currently 2nd most powerful person in the DNC…oh, and btw, he represents MN 5th district that includes Lake Calhoun.

mud

Cal-whoon

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

For arguments sake, how would you feel if you were a black kid going to Robert E. Lee High School? Wouldn’t you feel a little bit offended…or not at all because it’s just a name?

I missed this somehow but I DID go to Robert E Lee High School in VA and it was more diverse than any high school here in MN and no one of any ethnicity or race gave a darn that it was named after him (at least the students didn’t).

Dave mentioned it being a learning opportunity for students to learn about the civil war. In that area of the country that is a HUGE part of the history taught to students. It was a huge part of the culture down there and they do their best to teach it to the students so they can have real discussions about it. R.E. Lee actually was the first choice of Lincoln to command the Union Army but only declined because he felt that he couldn’t fight against his home state and family. When I came to MN after high school I was shocked to find the youth here was much more racist than they were in VA. Maybe it’s because they aren’t used to the diversity. Who knows.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Crap….Just realized I started this thread back up……My apologies in advance…… doah

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Calhoun is BACK! Courts ruled that the DNR can’t change a name, it required legislative action.

You can fish Calhoun again! Hopefully the DNR guy who made the decision pays for the signs out of his paycheck.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Funny. We were just talking about this over the weekend. Got a link or anything?

munchy
    NULL

From Star Trib

Lake Calhoun is back on the map.

The state Court of Appeals ruled Monday that the former Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Tom Landwehr lacked authority to change the name of the lake because the name had existed for more than 40 years.

In January 2018, Landwehr ordered the lake’s name revert to its original Dakota name: Bde Maka Ska. The federal government approved it and signs around the lake were changed.

But the unanimous opinion by a three-judge panel said the name will go back to Calhoun because Landwehr’s action was illegal and only the Legislature holds the authority to change the name after it existed for 40 years.

The dispute over the lake’s name paralleled a national movement to remove the names of segregation and slavery supporters from monuments. Lake Calhoun was named in honor of John C. Calhoun, the seventh vice president of the United States from 1825 to 1832 and a senator from South Carolina. He was a staunch defender of slavery.

The state officially changes Lake Calhoun to Bde Maka Ska
    A blessing for Bde Maka Ska, a lake’s new, yet old, identity
    Erick Kaardal, the lawyer for the “Save Lake Calhoun,” the group that challenged the name, called the decision “A win for holding the system accountable,”

Attorney General Keith Ellison’s office, which represented the state, didn’t immediately return a message seeking comment.

Court of Appeals Judge Heidi Schellhas presided over the panel that include Judge Randall Slieter and retired Judge Larry Stauber.

Deuces

There’s alot of name changes going on here in this thread…..

Politics suck on any level moon

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

There’s alot of name changes going on here in this thread…..

Politics suck on any level moon

The name of a lake, city, whatever is only political when someone politicizes it. If you dont attach any special, magical meaning to it, then it is just a word.

sculpin

I suppose the only thing that might trouble me is if the crusade continues. Will they next set their sights on Lake Harriet? Anyone know if there is any dirt on Harriet? I fear that if one does enough digging, they can find some something objectionable with just about anything with a namesake. crazy

Turns out that this lake’s namesake, Harriet Lovejoy was married to a fella known as Colonel Henry Leavenworth. While Mr. Calhoun was out paving the way for slavery, Harriet’s hubby was out slaughtering Indians. That’s right, he led troops in the Arikara War and other conflicts, resulting in the deaths of many Native Americans.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have a hard time believing anyone would refer to or drive by Lake Calhoun and say to themselves, “MY God, the slavery proponent! This is a travesty!”. Someone had to look it up and put two and two together. Hell, I had never even gave it a thought that the lake was named after someone.

It’s a lake name, not a memorial.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Would all you guys be bitching if the lake was originally called Hilter, Goebbels or Himler Lake?

How dare you write these names on this forum. I demand you take them down or I am going to message the moderators!

coffee

Viewing 21 posts - 61 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.