How's the bite on Bde Maka Ska…

• big_g
    Isle, MN

all the pressing issues that could be addressed for the natives… and this is what they are working on ? I guess it makes some people feel better…

Bass_attack

Thought the title of the thread was a really bad typo… doah

David Blais

Can’t imagine the dakota would appreciate such news in digital format on the inter web. Scribe it on a bluff, down by the river, make everyone happy. We love the river here

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

all the pressing issues that could be addressed for the natives… and this is what they are working on ? I guess it makes some people feel better…

I don’t believe “the natives” were a driving force behind the change. If I’m wrong feel free to enlighten us all.

Can’t imagine the dakota would appreciate such news in digital format on the inter web. Scribe it on a bluff, down by the river, make everyone happy. We love the river here

Hilarious. You clearly have some strong opinions about the Dakota. You may as well just say what you mean, why hold back?

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I went to watch the dog races last weekend and thankfully google maps still uses Calhoun.

“I hold that in the present state of civilization where two races of different origin, and distinguished by color and other physical differences, as well as intellectual, are brought together, the relation now existing in the slaveholding States between the two, is, instead of an evil, a good — a positive good.” — John C. Calhoun in an 1837 speech to the U.S. Senate

Yes, thank heavens google maps hasn’t stolen this treasure of a namesake from us.

fishingallday

This doesn’t have anything to do with the Native Americans. It is named after a US senator during the Civil war who was pro slavery. Calhoun said slavery was a good thing. So I don’t have any problem with the name change.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Embrace your history, learn from it, don’t try to erase it.

Noone will call it by this name in my lifetime, and that includes all the Natives I know which is probably a heck of alot more than anyone here.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

How do you pronounce that?

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Embrace your history, learn from it, don’t try to erase it.

Noone will call it by this name in my lifetime, and that includes all the Natives I know which is probably a heck of alot more than anyone here.

I don’t have a problem with that view Nick.

I do have a problem with blaming the name change on natives and with stereotyping of any race or culture, both of which are on full display after your initial post.

Lund4Life

I usually don’t bash the DNR but shame on them for being so spineless and allowing this name change.

fishingallday

I usually don’t bash the DNR but shame on them for being so spineless and allowing this name change.

What’s the big deal? They didn’t drain the lake so you can’t fish it. Just a little inconvenience because they changed the name?

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Lund4Life wrote:</div>

What’s the big deal? They didn’t drain the lake so you can’t fish it. Just a little inconvenience because they changed the name?

And the DNR wasn’t the first group to approve of the name change. It was first the MPLS Parks and Rec board, then the Hennepin County Board, then the DNR, next is the U.S. Board of Geographic Names to make it completely official.

Like fishingallday said, they didn’t drain the lake or close it or anything that would limit use. Just a simple name change. Get over it.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

While we are at it, let’s tear down the Roman colosseum, they did feed people to lions right? Bunch of jerks, they should’ve known better back then.

Anyone seen Calhoun’s hair? I mean cmon, that in itself deserves a lake name bow
    calhoum

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

My prediction is that 99% of the people will continue to call this lake “Calhoun” anyway. Sort of like the old Xcel employees still calling the company “NSP”. It’s tempest in a tea pot.

SR

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

More tax payer money down the toilet, great!! They really have nothing better to do? coffee

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike W wrote:</div>
    How do you pronounce that?

Yabba daba doo

That works for me. So what did Yabba Daba Doo do to get a lake named after it?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Give it another couple hundred years and some activist group or government agency will find a reason the Bde Maka Ska name is not what the lake should be called, and change it again.

404 ERROR
    MN

Are we sure John Calhoun isn’t still alive and using the alias of Willem Dafoe? If so, we should just ask “Willem” what he thinks…I mean, age is just a number and 235 is still relatively low…

Attachments:
    1. Calhoun.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I suppose the only thing that might trouble me is if the crusade continues. Will they next set their sights on Lake Harriet? Anyone know if there is any dirt on Harriet? I fear that if one does enough digging, they can find some something objectionable with just about anything with a namesake. crazy

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Good one Merican!! rotflol

shefland
    Walker

only the beginning it will never be over for PC, especially here in Mn. Its Lake Calhoun!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Why stop there? Is Mille Lacs next? whistling

Funny, went to the Owjibwe language translator and there was no match for the word >>> Bde Maka Ska coffee

-J.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Why stop there? Is Mille Lacs next? whistling

Funny, went to the Owjibwe language translator and there was no match for the word >>> Bde Maka Ska coffee

-J.

That is why amuses me. Why go back to the Dakota name? Why not the Owjibwe? Who picks the magical part of history where wars, racism and bad actors never existed to select the most PC name? Why not name it Cargill Lake or something relevant today?

BrianF

To answer the question that was asked…it’s been poor the last couple of evenings. For me, at least.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

To answer the question that was asked…it’s been poor the last couple of evenings. For me, at least.

Good to know, be working on Calhoun pkwy all next week, Evo might be packed in work trailer for happy hour toast

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

So is the Famous Daves in Uptown now in Bde-Maka-Ska Square?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.