How will this years weather effect the fishing?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Ill be going to VNP for the first time May 25-29th. Im not sure specifically about the VNP area but it seems up north this will be quite a late start to the spring fishing with cold weather remaining into late April. Like i said i havent fished that area before so maybe this is normal, just curious what kind of effect you guys think a a late start to the season due to cold temps will have on fish activity

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Well hopefully the ice is off… rotflol We were on Rainy in early June back on a late ice year like in like 2013 or 2014 and the fishing was pretty good. Between us being there early (usually go in July) and the late ice, the fish were up shallow and not out on the reefs at all. I’d assume something similar for Kab.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Head West to Tom Cod Bay and Gold Portage area, cast plastics shallow, or troll stickbaits after dark, and you’ll catch all the fish you can stand…most will be throwbacks, but you’ll get enought eaters mixed in to make a meal. With the way the weather has been I wouldn’t even bother with the rest of the lake this spring unless you simply want to look around.

thanks for the tip. we are staying on the east side on Williams Island but we can certainly make a run

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

“REPLY TO HOW WILL THIS YEARS WEATHER EFFECT THE FISHING?”

There will be more people fishing in the cabins and bars and less on the lakes.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigfatcroixbaby wrote:</div>
    Head West to Tom Cod Bay and Gold Portage area, cast plastics shallow, or troll stickbaits after dark, and you’ll catch all the fish you can stand…most will be throwbacks, but you’ll get enought eaters mixed in to make a meal. With the way the weather has been I wouldn’t even bother with the rest of the lake this spring unless you simply want to look around.

thanks for the tip. we are staying on the east side on Williams Island but we can certainly make a run

If you make the run follow your GPS closely. If you stay on the “highway” you will be fine, veer off and you could be in trouble. I personally wouldn’t make the run but if the weather is nice go for it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If you make the run follow your GPS closely. If you stay on the “highway” you will be fine, veer off and you could be in trouble. I personally wouldn’t make the run but if the weather is nice go for it.
    [/quote]

Thanks Dutch. And good to see you back commenting. Even i missed ya wave

JasonP
    Twin Cities

If you’re staying on Williams then you are technically staying on Namakan Lake. You sure don’t want to be making any runs to Tom Cod bay from there (unless your goal is to spend all your time driving around and burning through gas). It’s probably 20-25 miles RT.

Plenty of fish where you will be. Fish will be shallow and still near spawning grounds. Look for the rocky windswept shorelines in the bays or around the islands near Williams. No need to fish deeper than 10′ that time of year.

If you are struggling make your way toward Kab but no need to go further than Wolf Island.

I’m envious.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.