How To Read Water Levels

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Ok so im not sure if im just an idiot or if there is a learning curve but when i try to read some of these websites to gage water levels it might as well be in Greek. Is there some sort of advice or tutorial available to assist with understanding this information? Ill be going to Kabetogama this spring for the first time and im trying to understand if the water will be high or low ect. Im visiting this site https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=05129290. Can someone share some tips for what i should focus on within this data and how to interpret it? Is there a different site i should be using? I would have put this in the Kabetogama section but ive run into this problem too when trying to understand River water levels so figured i would throw it up in the general section. Thanks in advance

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m not sure about the water level thing. But I fell in love with Nam and Kab when I was up there and I bet you will To.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m not sure about the water level thing. But I fell in love with Nam and Kab when I was up there and I bet you will To.

Im literally counting down the days

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Water levels on the res follow the IJC rule curve below. They raise the levels in spring sharply to flood habitat for spawning walleye and pike, amongst other critters.

Attachments:
    1. Capture-3.png

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

BK taught me 25 years ago that when you see the top of the rock it’s shallow.

Ripjiggen

No rocks send it?

JasonP
    Twin Cities

This site has the actual levels – which show levels are currently inside the rule curve. I think all you need to know is that unless there is severe flooding or severe drought it will be a typical year. Levels will be on the rise, peak in June, and then start declining.

I don’t think it will affect the fishing. Its pretty much always good in the spring IMO.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL! I haven’t seen the river rock gauge for a few weeks now. I’m using the truck level gauge at the Harbor Bar.

Attachments:
    1. D5A843B4-30E1-4D29-AFC4-E17C40CBA695-scaled.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I like JasonP’s graph. Easy to read.

I think with all of these graphs, a person needs to have at least one first hand look at a level (a “normal” level if there is such a thing) to be able to read a graph on any water.

Seeing a graph say 2′ above datum in Red Wing doesn’t really mean anything unless it’s been witnessed. Seeing 12′ on the graph tells a person that it’s high, but is it too high to fish (with my current <pun level of experience)?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.