How to move a washer and dryer easily?

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

So I’m doing a little remodel in the basement and I plan to refinish the floor. As I’ve found out over the years, the dryer requires constant cleaning in the dryer vent area. Excessive lint builds up quite quickly.

With that said I would like to slide the dryer in and out of position easily for cleaning. Does anyone have slides that they put under their dryer or washer to make this easier?

Ripjiggen

I don’t have them on my drier but I have used those large couch moving ones before and they work pretty good. Like the as seen in tv ones.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

That might work Ripjig. I was thinking something like this?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210207-161828_Chrome.jpg

Ripjiggen

Those look like they would work even better. lol

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As long as you don’t leave them under the dryer after you move it.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

Why is that?? You think it’d move on its own?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

Why is that?? You think it’d move on its own?

Oh ya, it will walk all over the place.

Ripjiggen

Couple small wedges front and back?

brewerybuilder

If you’re having problems with lint in the vent that you need to move the dryer often, there is a problem with the dryer lint screen. The dryer shouldn’t need to be moved hardly ever. The lint screen should be catching 99% of lint. If lint is getting into the vent that’s a fire hazard.

Deuces

Make a better connection from vent to dryer and it will not accumulate around it.

Depending on what kind of dryer vent you have hooked up constantly moving the thing back and forth will only worsen your problem as loosening up those connections over time would occur.

I cleanup around appliances with a vacuum extension maybe couple times a year and keeps it clean

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

If you’re having problems with lint in the vent that you need to move the dryer often, there is a problem with the dryer lint screen. The dryer shouldn’t need to be moved hardly ever. The lint screen should be catching 99% of lint. If lint is getting into the vent that’s a fire hazard.

?? Really? Because I get a lot of lint out of the back of my dryer vent. A lot! I’d say it’s pretty packed full of lint with in six months.

I have talked to many other people as well and they say they don’t have any issues. Then I tell them to disconnect the dryer vent and look inside and they say holy crap! That’s a lot of lint. And I say exactly. So am I the only one on here with this issue? Or are you guys not even checking your vent pipe??

michael keehr

I used to get alot of buildup as well. I redid my laundry room and replaced the flexible pipe with a solid pipe. That seems to have cut my amount in half. Mine is a pretty long run. I think the flexible pipe was causing a swirling of the air keeping lint in.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

No idea what your vent run looks like, but not all dryers “blow” the same. I have one of these GE dryers that are capable of a 120′ vent run. You may not need that much capacity, but the airflow is pretty good, as far as pushing “stuff” out the vent.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. GE-dryer.jpg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I get some lint coming out the vent through the wall but only have a thin coating on the metal rigid tubing. Only a run of about 8 feet. Try to clean it once a year but often go 1 1/2 years.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

You could try one of the solid rectangle vents and cut a hole on the top to put your shop vac down to clean it out. Add a magnet vent cover to easily cover it back up.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Periscope-dryer-vents-Dryer-vents-accessories-Ventilation-Building-supplies/4294512305

If you have to move it all the time you could add a tool mobile base to it. One side has wheels that will drop down to the ground so it wont walk. Something like this should work.

https://www.rockler.com/bora-port-a-mate-pm-1100-plywood-mobile-base-kit

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I use a leaf blower every two years, then my eyeball on the discharge end.

The plastic dryer vent with the wire is the worst. Straight pipe for this cowboy.

ThunderLund78

Back to the moving question – we JUST did this and had to move our main floor laundry (into our kitchen/dining area of all places) so we could lay tile. To move them out, I had to cross a plywood subfloor because I had stripped off the linoleum that was there and then on to the hardwood kitchen floor. To cross the subfloor we used the hard plastic furniture moving pads, once we got to the hardwood, we switched to the felt pads – probably a 4″ diameter by 1/2″ thick felt disc. In both cases, I could’ve pushed each machine with one hand. But easier to have two people to steer around corners. Also helps to keep a little downward pressure on the machines because the discs will slip out every now an then – usually on the side you’re pushing from. No big deal, easy to slip them back under. Just buy a pack of both hard plastic and felt pads, they’re cheap and can be used to move anything heavy.

brewerybuilder

Hard pipe all the way to the dryer and empty the lint screen every use. The times I have had to move a dryer for remodels or replacement I have never seen more than a golf balls worth of lint. Just my experience.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Maybe some heavy duty drawer glides, screwed to a wood frame and attached to the bottom of the dryer ?

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Lots of good ideas. I’ll add my thumbs up to a straight pipe.

If that don’t work, maybe some bullhead slime! grin

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Thanks guys. I have a newer Electrolux. Screen is cleaned after every use. The exhaust pipe is hard piped but I still get quite a bit of lint in the bottom elbow.

I appreciate all the ideas. I think I might just go with the furniture movers under each leg and see if that works. Thanks!

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Back in 1985 I saw something like this in use to move a refrigerator. It’s amazing. I googled a bit and found Airsled.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

The airsled is incredible. I rented one to move a few very heavy items in my house including a large upright piano and I job I had been dreading became quick and effortless.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Perhaps I’m missing something…but is there something keeping you from sliding an appliance dolly under the front, carefully lift and slide back, clean, and push it back in? I’ve been doing it this way for years without reinventing the wheel or trying to add anything beneath. The process to move, vacuum, and check connections takes approximately 3 minutes with no physical or mental exertion.

Rod Bent

Joe
    I’ve used dryer sheets under each foot and they are pretty slippery.
    I’ve tried waxpaper and it is ok but will tear. Or I slip a towel under the front and pull it out far enough to get at the back feet.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m available to help move things biannually, and take payment in a fishing trip. Can’t get easier than having someone else do the heavy lifting! rotflol

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’m available to help move things biannually, and take payment in a fishing trip. Can’t get easier than having someone else do the heavy lifting! rotflol

I’ll keep that in mind!😁

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Perhaps I’m missing something…but is there something keeping you from sliding an appliance dolly under the front, carefully lift and slide back, clean, and push it back in? I’ve been doing it this way for years without reinventing the wheel or trying to add anything beneath. The process to move, vacuum, and check connections takes approximately 3 minutes with no physical or mental exertion.

With rigid piping this isn’t an option. Even with flex piping the front load door sticks out making it hard to get under it from the front.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

We use these at work for making moving machinery easier.

Delta 50-345
    https://www.google.com/search?q=delta+50-345&oq=delta+50-345&aqs=chrome.

Back in 1985 I saw something like this in use to move a refrigerator. It’s amazing. I googled a bit and found Airsled.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe title=”How to Easily Move Laundry Room Appliances with an Airsled” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ffZViLjNwbU?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Cool options guys!! If one of these options don’t work then I’m not trying hard enough. Thank you! Now I have to decide which one!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.