How to cook salmon?

• brussels4me

How do you cook store bought salmon without drying it out and how can you tell when it’s done?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I have a Nordicware stovetop kettle smoker that makes some great salmon. I’d say always go less than more cooking time. Hard to tell you a timeframe without seeing the piece of meat you are cooking, but it should bounce back nicely with a touch test.

catnip
    south metro

Season it then get the grill HOT oil the grate and cook flesh side down for 3 minutes flip and cook 3 minutes grab a fork and press gently in the middle and see if the layers want to separate it should be done at that point for normal size filets. Lump Charcoal tastes best but briquettes and gas work too.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Coat with olive oil and grill it. Depending on your grill grates you might want to do it on tinfoil so it doesn’t stick. Just season with salt and pepper or whatever seasoning you like.

Cook about 10 minutes total to get to medium depending on thickness. You don’t need to flip but I like to char the top side. If it has skin the skin should peel right off. I’m not a fan of the skin.

If you want to bake do so in a non stick baking dish for probably 18 to 20 minutes at 350. We use maple syrup, brown sugar, ginger, a little soy sauce and olive oil. Rub it on and bake it right in that sauce. Reapply a couple times while cooking.

Salmon is easy once you do it a few times.

Brady Valberg

Wet brine and smoke or season/brine and cedar plank on the grill
    If u see nasty white boogers while cooking your cooking to hot and fast..that would be all the fat and oils comming out of the meat

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

X2 What Matt said. Skins side down on aluminum foil, I use a little olive oil, salt and pepper, myabe a little “Mrs. Dash” 6 or 7 minutes in the broiler and it’s ready to go. Simple and easy.

Hey Matt when are we going fishing?

SR

Coletrain27

I like to make it on my pellet grill with low heat to get a good smoke flavor. I usually use tin foil also so it doesn’t stick to everything. Sometimes I’ll sprinkle some brown sugar on it also before cooking

buck-slayer

Smoke it and have it really taste good.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Coat with olive oil and grill it. Depending on your grill grates you might want to do it on tinfoil so it doesn’t stick. Just season with salt and pepper or whatever seasoning you like.

Cook about 10 minutes total to get to medium depending on thickness. You don’t need to flip but I like to char the top side. If it has skin the skin should peel right off. I’m not a fan of the skin.

If you want to bake do so in a non stick baking dish for probably 18 to 20 minutes at 350. We use maple syrup, brown sugar, ginger, a little soy sauce and olive oil. Rub it on and bake it right in that sauce. Reapply a couple times while cooking.

Salmon is easy once you do it a few times.

Yes, if you can grill it…that’s the ultimate. Salmon is an oily fish, so it’s less likely to dry out like a white type fish. Salmon can go right over the heat and doesn’t need to be wrapped in foil to retain moisture…if you cook it right.

And as Matt says, skin peels right off. I don’t know if anyone eats salmon skin.

One handy item I use is a fish grilling basket. Set it in there and the handle slides off to cook. Works great to flip without it falling apart or sticking to the grate. A slight singe is beautiful while keeping inside moist and juicy.

BTW Matt, that baking recipe using maple syrup and ginger sounds great.

Attachments:
    1. grill-basket.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t know if anyone eats salmon skin.

I eat the skin. Virtually all of the antioxidants and omegas are in the skin. I cook it so that it’s crispy. Throwing away the skin is literally throwing out the healthiest portion.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Skins the best part.

And what Matt says with brown sugar and maple syrup. I also put a dash of liquid smoke in there

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

I eat the skin. Virtually all of the antioxidants and omegas are in the skin. I cook it so that it’s crispy. Throwing away the skin is literally throwing out the healthiest portion.

I’ll eat the real crispy parts of the skin sometimes. I should probably peel it off and cook separately.

But, is it better than fried bullhead tails?

Ripjiggen

All of the above are good, smoked, grilled, lemon or no lemon.
    A new one I tried this year on our trip to Lake Michigan was to brush on ranch dressing then cover in Parmesan cheese. Bake till the edges get a little brown.
    Sounds rich I know but it was really good and a nice change up from what I normally do.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

You guy,s pretty much covered it ,just grilled Chinook on the gas grill . Made a marinade soy sauce, minced garlic , lemon pepper , olive oil water,brown sugar just google grilled salmon and use the first Allrecipes that comes up. This is what i use and it turns out great ,i do not flip. Medium heat until flakes ,about 12 minutes on my grill . Small change is i added minced garlic.I did marinate in a Food Vac sealer square bowl for a couple hours .

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

blush Who knew?

I was always under the belief the skin (and dark gray flesh) were the parts that had the most concentration of toxins. Even in a short lifespan “the bad stuff” would be harboring there after eating all the contaminated alewives.

Are you talking about farm raised salmon?

Back in the 80’s and early 90’s the salmon we harvested out of Lake Michigan had those advisories to toss the skin and scrape the gray along the lateral line.

Perhaps times have changed?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

X2 What Matt said. Skins side down on aluminum foil, I use a little olive oil, salt and pepper, myabe a little “Mrs. Dash” 6 or 7 minutes in the broiler and it’s ready to go. Simple and easy.

Hey Matt when are we going fishing?

SR

I’m really hoping to get out this week. Boat is ready but this whole work from home thing with a toddler is tough. I don’t feel right leaving the wife home on her own.

If I do get out and we don’t go to SIP I’ll let you know. Otherwise, after this is done it’s a date. Besides, I need you to show me all the secret spots.

B-man

Back the truck up

You BOUGHT salmon from a store??? What did that run you? $20/lb??

That’s insane.

You could have went out and caught your own for $100-$200 a pound. It tastes so much better that way. Some of the most expensive meat on the planet mrgreen

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

When and if they ever make it to the Racine area this year, looks like I’ll have time to fish. Being 15 minutes from the house – I’ll still be able to get the truck there even if not working much yet.

Always just put some salmon seasoning I bought on line on the filet, grill it… and nothing better than a lightly cooked young Coho.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

I like to drizzle maple syrup all over the fillet the last 5 minuets on the grill. Kids love it!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Throw it away and cook a steak

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Go up to Lake Superior, run your stick baits 60-80 behind the board.

Fillet the coho, leave skin on. Start the grill. A little butter, salt, pepper and lemon juice. You’ll never be worried about cooking store bought salmon again.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.