How much to tip a guid?

• mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I’ve always used Pete’s line when asked…

It’s appreciated yet not expected-

Guides and/or tipping aren’t for everyone.

These 2 lines are class answers.

Most guys on here either know guides personally or have close friends that know guides. It’s just like every occupation some are better than others. Do your homework first and your question about tipping at the end of your trip won’t be problem.

jwellsy

I’ve been lucky and never had a guide that didn’t earn a tip. On a crummy day my minimum tip is $50. On a good day I don’t have a problem palming him a $100 bill.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Being a guide is owning and operating a business. With owning that business come risk and expenses along with rewards if everything goes right.

While not every guide earns nor deserves a tip not every client is a bowl of cherries to work with either.

Tip or don’t tip, thats every ones personal choice based on their trip. Me? I tip well if i’m satisfied the guide was working hard to give me a good time. Notice I didn’t say to make me catch fish. Fish is a by product, I can buy fish for less then any trip costs. I’m, in my opinion paying for his knowledge and willingness to help me learn.

For those who think a guide is over paid i’ll offer this……….if you have a heart problem, a vet is less expensive then a heart surgeon at Mayo. You pay for what a person does and their ability.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joel Ballweg wrote:</div>
    Maybe you should take your $1200 lund to Mille Lacs on a breezy day and propose the same contest. (or Green Bay, or any other large body of water)

By the end of the day, maybe then you will know why so many guides and pro’s run $60,000 rigs.

My $1200.00 Lund is a Deep-V and I am a veteran of Mille Lacs and her winds.
    You sir have got a contest.
    Let me know

That wasn’t a proposal. I have no interest in getting in a pissing contest with somebody I’ve never met on a body of water I’ve never fished. Was trying to make a point about expensive boats but as usual, it was a waste of time.
    Have a great day!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

My $1200.00 Lund is a Deep-V and I am a veteran of Mille Lacs and her winds.
    You sir have got a contest.
    Let me know

I would think that if you are “a veteran of Mille Lacs and her winds.”, you’d know well that it would be just plain stupid to be out there at certain times for a fish. There are times when 30-40 foot launch boats stay tied to the dock when it’s howling. @Jon Jordan can also attest to the unexpected happening out there.

big_g
    Isle, MN

saugeyes britches seem a little soggy… seems his $1200 boat has a few holes in her. Now he wants to challenge people to fish a lake that is closed to walleye ?? Then again, with a $1200 boat, he has to be an expert Musky, Northern, Bass and Perch. The cheaper the boat, the better the fisherman was his stance. Seems legit.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

While not every guide earns nor deserves a tip not every client is a bowl of cherries to work with either.

You got that right…I have talked to some guides who did all that they could to keep from throwing some A-hole clients overboard.

Tip or don’t tip, thats every ones personal choice based on their trip. Me? I tip well if i’m satisfied the guide was working hard to give me a good time. Notice I didn’t say to make me catch fish. Fish is a by product, I can buy fish for less then any trip costs. I’m, in my opinion paying for his knowledge and willingness to help me learn.

Agreed, and the amount of tip is commensurate with the level of effort, instruction, enthusiasm, and consistent optimism.

jwellsy

How to tip a guide?

First you have wait till he falls sleep.
    Then you sneak up real quiet to the side of him.
    When everyones ready ………….

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

on our honeymoon I was young and never had a guided trip. we went flyfishing in estes park. When I got back to the hotel I saw on the brochure it said gratuity appreciated. I had not tipped the guy. man did I fell like a jackwagon. I went to the flyshop guide was out left a tip with the owner. hope he got it. still emabarassed about that one on my end.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.