How much to tip a guid?

• jaymon
    waldo, WI

I’m going on a Guided whitetail hunt. How much do you tip the guide? Would 10 to 20 % of the cost of hunt be about right?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

nothing wrong with that as long as you can afford it – and he/she earns it

Iowaboy1

I realize you are talking about hunting,but,I hired Steve Fellegy a year or so ago for a guided walleye fishing trip on the lake I fish near Bemidji Mn.
    I tipped him with two Rube’s porter house steaks from Rube’s steakhouse in Montour Ia.
    sixty three bucks for two of the finest steaks anywhere so that equates to an eighteen percent tip.
    after what I learned,I should have bought him four of them.

my point is that if they earned it,and you learned something that you can take with you the rest of your life,tip them well,after all,you might want to hire them again.

jaymon
    waldo, WI

Thanks guys that helps. Nice to know I on the right track.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I will admit I’ve never had the opportunity to go fishing or hunting with a guide. I value that line of work but cannot personally afford the service, unfortunately.

So that said I gotta ask– do you guys tip every professional that provides good service? Do you tip your mechanic? How about your accountant?

I tip servers, bartenders, and drivers, always at least 20%. I do this because I know they make peanuts and hey, if I can afford the luxury of a meal out, or an uber ride, then I can afford a few extra dollars to show my appreciation.

I personally see a massive difference between tipping someone making minimum wage and tipping a guide charging $100+ per hour? If paying $500 to a guide for an afternoon of fishing, I feel great service is a bare minimum expectation.

Would love to hear from guides on this topic. How often are you tipped, and do you feel customers “should” tip always?

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

$100 an hour? I don’t know of any that charge that.

Anyway- many times people hire someone to be able to go out in a top notch boat and top notch gear, specialized gear they don’t have and aren’t going to buy to use once, or specialized craft to get to remote locations. There are certainly expenses and even if it’s an owner operator there’s not much take home after licensing, gear, insurance, travel, etc. Most of us do it because we like to bring people there and share what we love. But in the end you have to pay the bills.

There are certainly a lot of variables. If you book a lodge for the week or a 10 day hunt the outfitter is taking the money, not the guide- and the guides aren’t making much. In my case my tips are more than my employer pays and this is pretty normal for a lodge type setting. Just like our chef or house staff we are really banking on tips and part of the service industry. Many of those variables are services we provide extra based on hard work that we control- fish biting isn’t one of those. Perhaps your guide is teaching you a new technique over the course of the trip/trips (fly casting, tying flies, safe boating/navigation, how to take the y-bones out of a northern at the end of the day, etc) and going above and beyond with their time outside of the boat. A good guide SHOULD certainly ask you early and often what your goals are for your experience. Sometimes catching 100 fish isn’t the #1 thing.

Your mechanic is paid to fix something for x amount in a reasonable amount of time, you pick it up. You’re not paying him to teach you how to do it- if you were it would cost 3x as much if you are breathing down their neck while they are doing it. If your mechanic also washes, waxes, and details the interior I would certainly start tipping him as well.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Sorry- I got a little side tracked.

To the original OP- yes 10-20% of your hunt is pretty standard in the industry. It’s appreciated yet not expected- and I’m sure will be settled on what percentage based on your experience and how hard your guide busts his rump for you.

Cash is king of course. Other things are often very appreciated as well but not all the time. I can’t imaging running into a vegetarian guide that wouldn’t really like some fine steaks as was mentioned. But even tho you think the custom rifle and fancy binocs you bought for the trip are bad ***, your guide might have 3 of each already and it doesn’t really help pay the bills either. Communication is key both ways.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Pete, thanks for that perspective. I was thinking more of the owner/operator as opposed to the guides who work for an outfitter.

As far as the rates go, I just looked up one guide who I’m familiar with and he charges $450 for 4 hrs. Perhaps that’s on the high end of the spectrum? Again, I believe this guide in particular earns every cent, and I know the expenses are significant on that end — the boat, all the gear, insurance, fuel, bait, etc. It all adds up. Still, the experience would have to be remarkable for me to peel off a $100 tip after the standard rate.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I’m going on a Guided whitetail hunt. How much do you tip the guide? Would 10 to 20 % of the cost of hunt be about right?

Fortunately or unfortunately I can assure you of this…
    Your experience coming back next year (if you so choose to do so) will somewhat be predicated on what you tipped the guide the previous experience. (If its the same guide)
    Not saying its right or wrong. Just my 2 cents…
    And yes 10%-20% is well within the expected range. If you go less than 10% for a hunting experience that was awesome, don’t show you’re face around there next season as you will be looking at blue skies vs what you were hoping for…

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

As far as the rates go, I just looked up one guide who I’m familiar with and he charges $450 for 4 hrs. Perhaps that’s on the high end of the spectrum?have to be remarkable for me to peel off a $100 tip after the standard rate.

Yes, that is way on the high end of the spectrum for fishing. Is this for hunting?
    Alagnak Pete explained it as best as anyone could. I have employed a number of guides years ago for fishing. Particularly for unfamiliar waters or something I haven’t experienced before. Like fly fishing for stream trout.

Gratuity is somewhat of a protocol. That varies somewhat on the service provided by the guide. Boat, fuel, and mostly insurance costs required for taking clients out with the liability attached likely takes a good part of the guide rate.

Furthermore, the preparedness and attitude of the guide is paramount. I have had guides show up late, hungover, and disinterested. Not unlike some clients for that matter. roll Other’s have been top notch, well prepared, early and waiting for me, and enthusiastic and positive throughout the day.
    They cannot make any guarantees of catching fish, however can continue to instruct and teach methods and locations. Plus, the best one’s will tell some great stories or keep you entertained with some good jokes. 20% tip!!

riverruns
    Inactive

Other’s have been top notch, well prepared, early and waiting for me, and enthusiastic and positive throughout the day.
    They cannot make any guarantees of catching fish, however can continue to instruct and teach methods and locations. Plus, the best one’s will tell some great stories or keep you entertained with some good jokes.

Isn’t that the expectation of any trip you would plan too use a guide? Remember, the guide didn’t do all the work, you picked the guide after all the research you did to plan the trip. You also showed up on time and made sure he was paid his expected amount. Not sure what angle to use here?? It can go both ways. Perception can play into this.

Yes we have chartered boats on Lake Michigan and have tipped. I always questioned in my mind why?

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, that is way on the high end of the spectrum for fishing. Is this for hunting?

Fishing. Maybe the metro is pricier, maybe he just charges more than other guys. Next time I take a trip to a new body of water I’ll check out the locals.

Iowaboy1

just to clarify why I tipped my guide,one,he spent forty plus years learning to do what he taught me to do.
    two,he drove from mille lacs to the lake I fish east of Bemidji towing his boat behind a 3/4 ton ford pick up that drinks more gas than most jet aircraft drink jet A fuel,his trip one way was approx. 139 miles.

I asked if tips were expected and was told no.
    I asked if he and his wife liked steak so I didnt tip a salad shooter (vegetarian with diarrhea) with something he didnt like.

as a mechanic,tips are not expected although I have been tipped several times in my life which is deeply appreciated.
    I understand the trip of a lifetime takes every extra cent you have lying around to go on and you just cant swing an extra fifty to a hundred bucks to do it.

when you make the inquiry of any guide,get all of the details up front this way the guide doesnt feel jilted if he/she isnt tipped if one is expected.
    if you are questioning why you tipped,you didnt get your moneys worth.

Iowaboy1

I need to add this,when Russ,Chris and I hired Steve,his cost for half a day then was 375 bucks for six hours.
    this paid for Steve,boat,gas,bait,gear,boat upkeep,etc.pretty damn cheap if you ask me.
    split three ways we each paid 125 bucks,any way you figure it,it cost a little over fifty bucks an hour for that trip.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I use this scale for myself. Is it what I expected (we all have preconceived expectations) if yes, then 10%. Was it more than I expected… did the guide work “hard” trying to put you in the spot or on the game ? If these are yes, then 20%. I had one hunting/fishing guide, I gave him my extra pair of boots (unworn) I brought with.. (he wore a hole in his boot on day 2, he had wet feet all day… I gave him my extra pair to use… he got to keep them)

saugeye-steve

Example: If the guide is the owner of the outfit and driving a 2017 4 door pick-up and pulling a brand new boat he doesn’t need to be tipped cause he is obviously raking in the dough.

On the other hand if the guide is working for some-one else and does a great job a fair tip would be in order.

big_g
    Isle, MN

So a successful guide does not get tipped, but a perceived poorer one does ? Interesting take. (this analogy takes for granted the boat/truck are paid for ?)

saugeye-steve

So a successful guide does not get tipped, but a perceived poorer one does ? Interesting take.

Fancy gear does not equate success it points to overcharging.

saddletramp

A few yrs ago,I hired Chris granrude to take my sil and daughterror out for a half day for their anniversary. Fishing was tough, but both kids had the best time ever! I don’t remember how much I tipped him but it was worth every cent to see their faces! They still talk about him, and their great experience.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

The Lake Michigan salmon charters I’ve taken , the price of the charter is for the captain , and the first mate is paid with tips . I use the same one every year , they work hard to get us on fish , and make it sn enjoyable experience , and get tipped very well

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    So a successful guide does not get tipped, but a perceived poorer one does ? Interesting take.

Fancy gear does not equate success it points to overcharging.

jester jester jester jester jester jester jester James and most successful guides use an old aluminum canoe with holes in it and a broken paddle… rotflol

saugeye-steve

James and most successful guides use an old aluminum canoe with holes in it and a broken paddle…

They should be able to in order to get you on game.
    Or wait-its all about how you look right?

I get a kick out reading the posts about customers paying $400.00 for half a day fishing but striking out.
    They say we didn’t get any fish but the lessons learned were invaluable… rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

I will propose a contest- You: $60,000 skeeter with 8 way side-scan locators.
    Me: $1200.00 lund with $20.00 locator

8 hr. contest on the St.Croix around Hudson.
    Biggest 5 fish walleye limit
    Winner gets the other guys boat.
    Let me know.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve always used Pete’s line when asked…

It’s appreciated yet not expected-

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Guides and/or tipping aren’t for everyone.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I always tipped Brian at least 20%, even when he put me on walleye.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I will propose a contest- You: $60,000 skeeter with 8 way side-scan locators.
    Me: $1200.00 lund with $20.00 locator

8 hr. contest on the St.Croix around Hudson.
    Biggest 5 fish <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye limit
    Winner gets the other guys boat.
    Let me know.

Maybe you should take your $1200 lund to Mille Lacs on a breezy day and propose the same contest. (or Green Bay, or any other large body of water)

By the end of the day, maybe then you will know why so many guides and pro’s run $60,000 rigs.

David Blais

I personally wouldn’t pay to fish out of anything less then a 60k + boat. I’m there for the whole experience! I would never confuse success for over charging….

saugeye-steve

Maybe you should take your $1200 lund to Mille Lacs on a breezy day and propose the same contest. (or Green Bay, or any other large body of water)

By the end of the day, maybe then you will know why so many guides and pro’s run $60,000 rigs.

My $1200.00 Lund is a Deep-V and I am a veteran of Mille Lacs and her winds.
    You sir have got a contest.
    Let me know

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

My $1200.00 Lund is a Deep-V and I am a veteran of Mille Lacs and her winds.
    You sir have got a contest.
    Let me know

I completely disagree with the sentiment of your posts in terms of expensive boat = guide is overcharging.

Nevertheless I would totally watch that contest if you guys filmed it. but saugeye would have to use a late 80’s Sony Handycam and Joel gets the latest go-pro and of course an aquavu or three. Get skeeter and Lund to sponsor it with some prize money and give the proceeds to hurricane victims. Do it up!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.