How many of you run fish tanks?

• luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Since i was in high school, I’ve always been fascinated by fish. They are such amazing and beautiful creatures. I ran fresh water tanks in high school and salt water in college. Been a few years since I’ve had one but how many of you on here run a tank? Let’s see em!

Coletrain27

We have 3 tanks now. 75 gallon african cichlids, 40 gallon angel fish with other misc. fish and live plants and a 55 gallon African cichlid tank. We had 6 tanks at one time

Attachments:
    1. CC2005B5-B8BD-4E6A-B8C5-70CD74FFF344.jpeg

2. 0BB3A221-4A4C-42B3-9BD1-846B445EEB7F.jpeg

3. 9E02183B-E845-409B-8786-FBDA5B78F326.jpeg

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I run a bait tank ! Does that count ? Lol

Attachments:
    1. C959E286-B19E-442E-BB0C-93F56E9C6DDA.jpeg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I did for a long time. I got sick of moving around with them. Now that I’m a settled-down adult, I’ve toyed with getting back into it. I’ve never done saltwater. I had Oscars for a long time.

MNdrifter

I had Minnesota fish in a large tank for 4 or 5 years back about 15 years ago. Sunfish, crappies, bass, walleyes. It was cool but ALOT of work. They are dirty fish. Had to clean the tank often. Also not so leagal…..

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I had tanks as a kid and as I got older quit the fish tank hobby.
    Fast forward after getting married and having kids got back into fish tanks. My last tank was 110 gallon. I had crappies, bluegills, and 2 small Catfish. All legal bought from a fish dealer. It was in my outdoor/man cave room.
    It was my last tank because the plastic aquarium light shorted out and we were at work. Wife came home from work to a house full of black smoke. Long story short we were out of our house for over 3 months. I’ll never have another tank.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Ive got a tank with electric blue acaras. Hopefully, they spawn one of these days. Ive had other cichlids spawn. It’s fun to see.

deertracker

Also not so leagal

It’s legal if you are under 16. If over they need to be purchased and have proof of purchase to transport.
    DT

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I did as a kid and young adult. I used to breed fish too which I agree is very fascinating. It is also fun conditioning them to breed.

I wouldn’t mind starting again, but hard to find a place in a 1500 sq ft house. That and I don’t need any more chores and work, my wife is good enough at keeping me busy.

deertracker

I used to run a 55 gallon with a couple northerns. I kept a separate 10 gallon tank to keep feeder goldfish for them to eat. They were amazing to watch. When they hit the goldfish there was gold flakes everywhere.

Also had a small eelpout for a while. That was not as exciting. Lol.
    DT

Dan
    Southeast MN

I used to run a 55 gallon with a couple northerns. I kept a separate 10 gallon tank to keep feeder goldfish for them to eat. They were amazing to watch. When they hit the goldfish there was gold flakes everywhere.

That sounds awesome. Every time I look at Cabela’s fish tank I tell myself I’ll have something like that some day.

tim hurley

I have a tank that is around 30 gallons, I check out lures in there sometimes. I have had very few deaths since I have been careful about changing my filter and keeping the water a constant temp. I have easy fish though too, mostly mollies and neons.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Been years but I had a 75 gallon tank with Oscars and Jack Dempseys. The larger Oscar grew to about 16” and 2#. Ended up moving so I sold the fish.

The Oscars would crush goldfish in their mouths. It was fascinating to watch. The Jack’s were incredible predators.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I had a pair of oscars and gave them to a pet shop because I felt bad keeping them in a 55 gallon tank. They sure were cool though. Very friendly too.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I have a tank that is around 30 gallons, I check out lures in there sometimes.

That’s a highly underrated thing that I should do more often. The first time I’ve ever seen something like that was at a small ice fishing seminar thing when there was still a bait shop in Rochester, and a pro guide was using a small fish tank to show what different spoons would do. It’s so important that the angler knows what the lure is doing on the other end of the line.

tim hurley

Can be a confidence builder, plastics can look alike but some have better action, some jigs tend to roll-plus it entertains my tetras.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.