How long before ice out in your area?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Was on Osakis yesterday evening. Could not believe how much it changed from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon. My buddy and I both said it probably would not hold up till next weekend. With several days in the 50’s and rain it will probably be non fishable by next weekend. If I make it out next weekend I probably need to make a run to one of my favorite ice out lakes near Park Rapids. I think next weekend will be my last.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Won’t be long now and most of the lakes in the southern 1/3 of the state will be wide open. Give it another week especially if we get a hard rain like we did on Saturday.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Went out at 5pm yesterday in the Brainerd area. EPG’s photo with the slush was the same here even without a bunch of rain. My access on this lake is south facing, not sure I’ll get back out this year with today’s sunshine.

Not sure how much longer the accesses will hold up around here. Ice was still 20″-24″ but a bit porous. I was hoping for another week but don’t like pushing things or walking in slop.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    Lake nokomis in mainly ice free as of this morning. Ice out for area lakes should be very soon.

Lakes around Maple Grove look close (Weaver, Fish, Rice).

Fish looked wide open this morning. I assume Weaver is, too. I’ll probably stroll over later today.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Apparently Prior is open as of this evening!

fishingadam54

Went for a drive yesterday around Wright county and it’s going to be at least another week or so for the lakes around here.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Phillip’s Wisconsin area ice is holding it’s own. I measured 21.5″ on the north end thursday. The south end of the lake (flowage) is much softer and more slush. I’m guessing after the rain tonight we might be two weeks out yet.

bigpike:

That’s sounds good, how much clear ice at the bottom of the hole??? Although Carlson said the in-town lakes on the chain were starting to open, a fella had broken through after spudding his way out, wasn’t so lucky on the way back in I guess. He kind of intimated that boats might be seeing the water during or just after this weekend.

I snuck up to Saxon last Friday with the boat practicing my social distancing, got a couple of coho, and am going to sneak up there hoping that the mud line isn’t so bad that the fish don’t want to cooperate tomorrow!!! Mincoqua is looking similar to your report, although the water went through the ice yesterday and that means the close is getting near…

Mark

bigpike

Mark : Well as of last night we are down to 13.5 with slush. The guy that fell through was fishing a known current area and should of known better. The fishing has been spotty at best, I personally find the last ice bite to be not nearly as good as 1st ice. I might try 1 more time tonight but the end is certainly near.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Hopefully a week! Although I’m picking up my boat tomorrow morning so I’ll probably jinx it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m hoping to get one more day out on the ice. I’ve never hard water fished in April before. If it rains tonight it might be over. bawling

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Was out on pokegama today. At least a foot and half. Ice definitely as changed from a week ago seen some holes driving by on the wheeler but didn’t stop to see if it was just slush melted to the ice or if it was all the way through. Got ten tullibee and five smelt. Hopefully get one more trip out this weekend, but not looking good. King’s landing getting pretty beat up

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Fishing is strange.
    I’m fishing my crappie spot and for the last 3 days I catch 1 walleye, 1 rocket (this one was awfully pretty) and 1 rock bass.

Happy to say Smitty is working well!

Hoping for 1 more day, might get it if the rain holds off.

Attachments:
    1. Smitty.jpg

2. Rocket.jpg

3. Eye.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m surprised that Walleye didn’t eat that Pike.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I thought walleye/pike/bass season was closed?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It is.
    I’m targeting crappie in a spot I caught where I caught them all winter. I can’t figure out what happened to the crappie.
    I go out to deeper water and catch tiny perch, shallower water and nothing there.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that we’ll have at least a couple of open lakes here in western Wright County by Sunday evening.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

They are probably migrating towards spawning habitat pout. Get out in front of the spawning bays and check around.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thanks Dusty –
    I was just getting lazy only had to walk out a 100 yds and didn’t need to bring an auger.
    I’ll put the hiking boots on and bring the auger this afternoon.

April 1st and still walking on water!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Fishing is strange.
    I’m fishing my crappie spot and for the last 3 days I catch 1 walleye, 1 rocket (this one was awfully pretty) and 1 rock bass.

How come no picture of the rock bass? coffee

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The 2019 / 2020 season Hardwater Season ended for me last night. I ended up finding a pile of them. They were tight lipped until the sun went down.

I was amazed to see we lost 6″ of good ice in the last 24 hours. There still is 8″ of good stuff but it rained last night so I’m out.

Attachments:
    1. Last-Crappie.jpg

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Had the boat out on several lakes yesterday in Central Wi, last day on ice for me was last week.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I think the rain did it in for us last night. With the rain and 4 to 7 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow will put a stop to the ice fishing for the season. That’s okay though. I’m gonna make a day trip to the Missouri by Bismarck this Saturday 👍

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I think they declared minnetonka open today, waconia can’t be far behind.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think they declared minnetonka open today, waconia can’t be far behind.

They sure did. Hennepin County Water Patrol declared it at 10am this morning, April 2. 11 days ahead of average too. Looks like most of the lake from about the Twin Cities and south are out now, according to this map.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ice_out/index.html

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Mark : Well as of last night we are down to 13.5 with slush. The guy that fell through was fishing a known current area and should of known better. The fishing has been spotty at best, I personally find the last ice bite to be not nearly as good as 1st ice. I might try 1 more time tonight but the end is certainly near.

bigpike:

I have no idea where he went through, but can certainly understand just like the last three 4-wheelers going through the ice on the Willow (2 in one day 2 weeks ago) and Rainbow (two days ago) too!!! I was part of a group on Koshkonong a 100 years ago that made it on with a board and fell through before getting to the edge of the ice on the way back in. Haven’t really been a big fan of last ice no matter how good/great it is or can be!!!

Instead focusing on the open water aspect now as I’ve been to Lake Superior twice, last Friday (2 cohos) and yesterday (a coho and Herring) and have found out that Mohawkskin is open and if they can tell me that Sara Park is open, I’d probably start going down there as it’s much closer and has more fun water to explore, perch in Bradley, crappies in Spirit,. etc. Don’t have to be as concerned with AIS in/on the boat as well. Although with the new catch and release rules that just started, once Chequamegon were to open back up, I’d certainly entertain chasing some pre-spawn SMB’s!!!

By the middle to end of next week, places like Nokomis, Willow, etc. will start to open up for sure and then it won’t be long for the lakes up here on the 70 corridor to start opening up as well. I just hope that social distancing is followed so that fishing won’t be taken off our docket!!!

Talk soon!!!

Mark

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.