how fast can you launch and retrieve?

• catnip
    south metro

nothing more frustrating than watching some so called boaters TRY to launch or retrieve. Next thing ya know its 30 minutes later and they look worse off then when They started. So of course you walk up and do it for them just so you can get on with your day. When by myself I can launch and have my tow rig off the ramp in under 3 minutes. And load in the same amount of time. With a buddy just over a Minute. So how long does everyone else spend on the ramp?

gimp

it depends how far I have to walk to park or get my pick-up and trailer. may times it is under 2 min.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Well…
    Let me ask you a couple questions first…

Were you able to launch in under 3 minutes when you first started or retrieve in under a minute when you first started?

Did you consider that this may be one of their first times doing this?

If you were so frustrated, why did you wait 30 minutes to finally help them?

It was very kind of you to help them and I hope they appreciated it

Yes it can be frustrating watching this but not everyone can launch and retrieve as quick as others. Hopefully they didn’t plug up a ramp and then start to untie straps, load the boat with coolers and gear, etc. That one does get to me.

Nice first post though waytogo

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I’ll time myself next time I’m out and get back to you on here.

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

Were you able to launch in under 3 minutes when you first started or retrieve in under a minute when you first started?

X2 It really is something that takes some time. Some of us grew up in a family that owned boats, and picked up the skill from that. While others are having their first experiences with boating well into their adult lives. Yes its annoying ( specially not having the boat ready before they back it up) but for the most part I cut people a break because they are just out for a good time like you and me.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Yea gotta love the ones that block the launch to take straps off,put coolers in,etc,etc…when I’m ready to back down I will have it ready with all straps off and such..back down float the boat and park and I’m fishing..all in under 5 mins easily. woot

riverruns
    Inactive

Yep and life is to short to worry about stuff like this.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Never took the the time to time myself.
    If I’m after you don’t take the time to time yourself so I can get in quicker. devil

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

…You Are So Right ON with that statement. waytogo … …rrr

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Old boat…very fluid. Total time would ultimately be decided by how far I would have to park. The new boat? It will take longer as it is a different style trailer. There will be a learning curve I am sure. Will have to learn how far to put it in. Hopefully people cut me some slack the first few times out.

FDR

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

We don’t have any problems like that here on mille lacs, there isn’t anybody using the launches. You can take as long as you like or you can do it in less than a minute if you like. With the anticipated one fish limit for this season, I don’t see people flocking here like before all the fish netted out of the lake. People can come here to practice and not bother anybody, and I can give you a few pointers if needed.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I fish metro lakes and rivers a lot. Being a walleye and cat guy (and a guy who enjoys solitude) it works out wonderful bc im off the water before there is any line at the ramp or putting in after everyone left. toast

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It usually takes me until the boat is in the water ;). As long as you have the boat ready to go, I don’t mind amateur hour. It can be entertaining! I’ve gotten pretty good at this point but still run into issues occasionally. Like a Motor that won’t start or a new one this year was the boat was frozen to the trailer. And unless someone asks me to back them in I’ll wait bc there is only one way to learn. yay

dbright
    Cambridge

What gets me at public ramps are the float companies that tie them up daily. I have waited a hr while a bus load of tubers unloads and stands in the way while trying to decide who is tying up with who. flame

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I am a first year boat owner with very limited experience running a boat prior to this and i have to say ive gotten quite good and backing a boat in and trailering things. Retrieving a boat takes a little longer as i dont power load. I might be a little slower than others on occassion but i do know all the boat editique and when i drive up to the launch i am ready to put in and when i pull out i get well out of others way to do my inspection and get ready for driving. I have a few friends that own boats but really when buying my boat ive had to learn everything on my own just through experience and ive made a lot of mistakes but its how you learn.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Launching when it’s busy can be very intimidating for the folks that are new to a launch more so when it’s busy and even more so when a person is alone.

I was lucky enough to help 5 or so new or single boaters last weekend at Everts launch. I think they appreciated it. ‘Couse I wasn’t heading out fishing either.

People are pumped up heading out, hoping for that Big One that got away last time. I wouldn’t want their trip to be dulled by thinking about the jerk that was at the landing.

Kinda like a friend of mine yesterday afternoon.. He was helping me live my dream while living his own. Thanks Dean!!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It must be spring again.

If you don’t like busy launches, or being held up; launch when the noobs aren’t….That’d be early in the morning, late at night, weekdays, etc.

Otherwise, be patient. I’m pretty quick at the landing, but i do it a hundred times a year…SO, that’s to be expected.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

For example, last time i fished out of everts, i beat BK out of bed… Ok, he was up, but wasn’t attending the bait shop yet.
    There was a boat loading from fishing the evening, we were the first boat loading in the moring. Lucky for us, the only fish we caught that day was before the sun came up. Good thing we came early.

fishdale

When I am on the boat launch I know I am going fishing so I am in a good mood. I try not to let anything screw that up. I am also off very early so it rarley comes into play for me. But some times you just need to finish off the rest of your coffee/relax and enjoy the show.

cookie
    waskish minnesota on upper red lake

There are so many varibles to consider. Some people do not like being watched and that can cause a lot stress on the situation for sure. I have problems loading in the current of rivers. I launch my boat on a river and most times its not even flowing that fast. Lending a hand to others would be the best solution for sure.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

The long lines at the ramps was the main reason I sold my boat and bought a canoe. Problem for me now is it takes a longer to untie it from the roof and load all the gear than it did once I finally got my boat on a ramp but still much less time than the 30-60 minute waits especially when it’s time to leave the water.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

How fast is the game warden at writing the ticket. With the current AIS laws you might want to add a few more minutes to routine. Pulling up to a ramp with a plug in or failure to take it out at the ramp, drain all water and remove all weeds is a violation.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Takes me about 30 minutes when I’m in front of an experienced yachtsman.

Leo Dogg

A couple of years ago I saw a noob at the Prescott launch. He pulled in with his shiny new Bass Tracker.

He was by himself and ready to launch. Coolers on board, bait, all equipment ready.

Lights and all straps and chains unhooked.

Backing down the ramp he decided he needed to reposition the truck / trailer. He hit the brakes and shifted into forward. The truck / trailer headed up the ramp while the Bass Tracker headed down the ramp.

Panicked, the noob hit the gas and pulled the trailer out from under the Tracker.

The new Tracker wasn’t new anymore. And was sitting about 25′ up away from the water.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The long lines at the ramps was the main reason I sold my boat and bought a canoe.

That’s pretty extreme! shock

catnip
    south metro

It was probably a 5 Minute process when I first started, I made sure I knew how to back a trailer before I went to the launch. Its not the newbie that bothers me because they are willing to learn how to be more efficient most of the time and I like to help them. Its the ones that prepare the boat at the bottom of the ramp and they have 3 other folks standing around while 1 does all the work. Or the ones that have been doing it longer than I’ve been alive but cant understand why they can’t get the boat on straight when the trailer is too far in the water. so they back on and off over and over And go home with a crooked load.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I really like guy that gives me a dirty look even when I launch in 60 seconds!

Life is way to short to sweat the small stuff.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

BK says…………

“Kinda like a friend of mine yesterday afternoon.. He was helping me live my dream while living his own. Thanks Dean!!”

Are you getting a Skeeter catfish special?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

A couple of years ago I saw a noob at the Prescott launch. He pulled in with his shiny new Bass Tracker.

He was by himself and ready to launch. Coolers on board, bait, all equipment ready.

Lights and all straps and chains unhooked.

Backing down the ramp he decided he needed to reposition the truck / trailer. He hit the brakes and shifted into forward. The truck / trailer headed up the ramp while the Bass Tracker headed down the ramp.

Panicked, the noob hit the gas and pulled the trailer out from under the Tracker.

The new Tracker wasn’t new anymore. And was sitting about 25′ up away from the water.

I was fishing near the launch on this lake and saw this same thing happen. felt bad for the fella but it was rather comical. Lets just say he threw more than a few things in the woods near the landing in pure rage. I will remove the straps but i dont unhook the boat from the winch until its in the water. ive had nightmares that im the guy throwing my hat in the woods

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gregg Pfeifer wrote:</div>
    The long lines at the ramps was the main reason I sold my boat and bought a canoe.

That’s pretty extreme! shock

Extreme? You’d be surprised what you find in the backwaters.

1. No boats, few anglers, some naked or nearly nude sunbathers.
    2. Unpressured fish boaters can’t get to.
    3. Peace and quiet and up-close to nature you’ll rarely see from a boat.
    4. Numerous access spots without launch fees.
    5. The ability to take it to work tied on top my car so I can get out as soon as the bell rings.
    6. Low maintenance expenses – no gas, etc.
    7. Money left in my pocket.

To top it off I found smallies in a small river 5 minutes from home. Now that’s extreme! I also have surrounded myself with good friends that like to fish, all boat owners. Satisfies my itch.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.