How does this make any sense — Cannot transport Canadian game birds into US?

• CaptainMusky

How on Earth does this make any sense at all? Do they not understand they are migratory birds and they will end up here anyway? Make it make sense.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m far from an expert on this subject, but it also includes domesticated poultry. I believe that is actually the primary intention, not to prohibit the importation of harvested game birds/waterfowl by hunters. Its not just one government either; its both that have gone into an agreement on this now. Some people like to blame the Canadian government for their restrictions, but in this case its mutual agreement by both Canada and the US. I think you could process the game birds or waterfowl, and then ship them, couldn’t you? The reg link below indicates you can import them “fully finished.” I’m not completely sure what that even means. I think it means you could cook or smoke it, and then label it properly prior to crossing the border.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/newsroom/stakeholder-info/sa_by_date/sa-2022/restrictions-onhhwg-meat

CaptainMusky

I’m far from an expert on this subject, but it also includes domesticated poultry. I believe that is actually the primary intention, not to prohibit the importation of harvested game birds/waterfowl by hunters. Its not just one government either; its both that have gone into an agreement on this now. Some people like to blame the Canadian government for their restrictions, but in this case its mutual agreement by both Canada and the US. I think you could process the game birds or waterfowl, and then ship them, couldn’t you?

Thanks for sharing that link. I wasnt aware that a processed harvest could be brought it. That does indeed make sense then.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Thanks for sharing that link. I wasnt aware that a processed harvest could be brought it. That does indeed make sense then.

Hunters just happened to be a by-product of this right now. The main issue is with domesticated poultry, which is a much bigger business than hunting. If it gets into a domesticated flock of turkeys or chickens, it wipes out the entire flock. Like last week in Meeker County.

CaptainMusky

The main issue is with domesticated poultry, which is a much bigger business than hunting. If it gets into a domesticated flock of turkeys or chickens, it wipes out the entire flock. Like last week in Meeker County.

Yeah, I understand that aspect for sure.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The reg link below indicates you can import them “fully finished.” I’m not completely sure what that even means.

“fully finished” in the context in which it is written means. A dried, stretched, mounted trophy ready to be hung on the wall.

Hunter-harvested wild game bird trophies entering the United States from Canada must be fully finished,,,,,,,,, Hunters may find an approved taxidermy establishment by visiting ,,,,,,,,,

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

“fully finished” in the context in which it is written means. A dried, stretched, mounted trophy ready to be hung on the wall.

Oh gotcha, thanks

Cam White

Avian flu. Going to suck for the bird hunters coming up this fall.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Avian flu. Going to suck for the bird hunters coming up this fall.

With those restrictions why would they come at all?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

With those restrictions why would they come at all?

If I was hunting geese, that would actually be a selling point not to have to bring them home. LOL

Border officer: “You can’t bring those geese across the border.”
    Me: “Cool. Have a nice day!”

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

This happened before to my friend. They were hunting in Canada. On the return they had all their birds confiscated at the border. Same reasons. Several weeks later the policy was revised as the argument was all those same birds were going to fly over the border soon anyway. Duh. I guess they didn’t learn the first time. Government at it’s finest.

Jason

Approx 7-8 years ago while we where up in Sask there was a Montana group hunting near us. They shot approx 500 whites in a week and would throw them fully uncleaned into a local natives truck box every day. The native guy would dump them out each night on his coyote bait pile. Natives have no limit up there so things where legal.

pass0047
    Pool4

When I was up that way few years ago several locals if asked would take birds. I ask one what he did with them and he said he would just throw them out back. They fid not care for the birds in their fields or on their dinner table. Just to nice/kind to say no to taking birds when ask if they wanted them. Sorry to think it happens alot.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve hear the same stories about snow geese up there. Indiscriminate killing.
    Sounds like they are the prairie dog of birds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.