How do you stay warm in the tree stand?

• Cp3
    Hammond, WI

What are some things you guys do?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I think the 2 most important things are:

Don’t get overheated on the way to the stand. I’ve taken to taking off most of my heavy outer layers and carrying then to the stand and them waiting a few minutes to cool down prior to putting them on. Nothing worse than getting sweated up and then cooling down. Wicking clothing helps a lot as well. Both sock liners and some type of underarmor base layers. I also like to layer clothing. For me a Wicking base layer – followed by a fleece layer followed by a insulated outer layer works the best

2nd for me is a great cold weather boot. The last few years I’ve used Baffin boots – By far the warmest boot I’ve found. A little on the bulky side but great for long stand hunts.

big_g
    Isle, MN

yep, don’t sweat. warm boots/heated socks and gloves. a heated under jacket works good too grin

Sharon
    SE Metro

I rifle hunt, so it’s usually a bit colder for me than the archery hunters. When I’m just sitting still, I get pretty damn cold, so I wear lots of layers! I like the Cuddl Duds brand of long underwears (Sam’s Club has great prices) and I wear lots of layers of cotton along with it. I wear a face mask to keep my neck and cheeks warm, and some years I’ve even used my heater in my stand. The guys I hunt with never admit to having to resort to using their heaters in the stand, but I don’t believe a word they say. coffee

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Warm hands, feet and head go a long way for keeping the body core warm. Good boots, gloves and hat are essential. Layering clothes and not overdressing for the walk in are also key. Heat packs for hands and feet and even the core heat pack they sell now days is great for long sits on stand. I rarely get cold because I have a good fat layer, but these are all tips I have learned from buddies that hunt. The only thing that gets cold on me are my hands and I wear fingerless gloves under choppers.

ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

Box blind and heater works for me! I hate being cold!!!!

Attachments:
    1. 20141109_100715.jpg

abster71
    crawford county WI

I’ve tried just about everything there is and finally found something that works. The heater body suit is the only way to go. You can dress light for long walks in and not wearing bulky boots. Then just slip into to the suit and nice and toasty. It seems expensive but add up all those layers and a good parka and bibs and your probably gonna have more than the cost of the suit.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I’ve tried just about everything there is and finally found something that works. The heater body suit is the only way to go. You can dress light for long walks in and not wearing bulky boots. Then just slip into to the suit and nice and toasty. It seems expensive but add up all those layers and a good parka and bibs and your probably gonna have more than the cost of the suit.

I almost purchased a heater body suit but decided to try an old sleeping bag first. I carry it out to my ladder stand and once up in the stand I get in the bag with all my boots and clothing on and pull it up to my arm pits then sit down. Works great. I have done this the last two years for rifle hunting and it makes a world of difference.

Tim_C
    MN

Heater Body Suit. It’s worth every Penny! Rut hunting in Early November you only usually need light clothes and Boots under it and a warm Hat. Late season Hunts I will put on warm bibs and such under the suit and Can still sit in the tree all day when need be.

Sharon
    SE Metro

try an old sleeping bag first. I carry it out to my ladder stand and once up in the stand I get in the bag with all my boots and clothing on and pull it up to my arm pits then sit down. Works great. I have done this the last two years for rifle hunting and it makes a world of difference.

This sounds like a great idea! I may have to try this if it continues to get cold. smile

Mocha
    Park Rapids

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mocha wrote:</div>
    try an old sleeping bag first. I carry it out to my ladder stand and once up in the stand I get in the bag with all my boots and clothing on and pull it up to my arm pits then sit down. Works great. I have done this the last two years for rifle hunting and it makes a world of difference.

This sounds like a great idea! I may have to try this if it continues to get cold.  :smile:

Sorry to burst your bubble Sharon but …..its not if but when it gets cold!LOL

I am sure you were referring to rifle season.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Sounds weird but a hand warmer pouch against the back of your neck (I put under my under armour shirt that fits tight against skin…) keeps me warm!

Jeff Iverson

Layers, Layers, Layers and if you have a long way to walk don’t put them all on until your at the base of your tree. I bow hunt multiple states and have hunted many years in subzero temps. I recently picked up a heated vest which has been a nice addition to my system. I only where pac’s when the temps get below 10 degrees. I opt for lighter boots and Arctic shield boot blankets so I keep my feet from getting real hot on the way in.

Warm hat/hood… and a hand muff that doesn’t get in the way of your shooting (bow)

I have friends that actually change socks (not fun when really cold but it’s something they felt they have to do).

Buy your outer wear big enough to fit insulating layers under or you’ll feel like the Michelin Tire Man.

I have also heard the Heater Body suit is great!

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

X2 on the sleeping bag up to your armpits. The older I get the more I lose my tolerance for the cold. Perhaps it is the blood pressure meds. And once I get a chill it takes a lot of time indoors to shake it off.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I will chime in as well. The Heater Body Suit is bomb.com. You will not get cold and it is made in the USA.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.