How do you say female deer?

• Buffalo Fishhead

I hear and read on forums hunters using the word “doe” when they are talking about several female deer. Example: We saw seven doe. And, sometimes they will refer to multiple male deer using the singular “buck”.

This use of the singular term, rather than the plural term, seems to be more prevalent in the upper Midwestern states.

What version do you use? Have you always used those terms in the way I have mentioned?

Just curious,

Buffalo Fishhead

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

doe and does

buck and bucks

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I always use Does or Bucks, but it does seem awkward for Does, mainly due to the other usage of that spelling I think.

Buffalo Fishhead

I always use Does or Bucks, but it does seem awkward for Does, mainly due to the other usage of that spelling I think.

Very good example in the sentence you used to reply – did you do that to show the possible confusion?

I guess hearing the singular use during conversation with folks is most noticeable to me.

Buffalo Fishhead

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

According to merriam webster, either is acceptable.

I think I’ve always used does.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I popped a cap in that *itch and the other *itches ran away.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think it depends on the time of year. Right now they’re either female deer or does. Come growing season they usually become pests. As the year progresses they could be called freezer filler or camp meat. Lots of things to call a female deer.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I popped a cap in that *itch and the other *itches ran away.

Lol wut

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.