• Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Backpack?
    Lumbar-pack?
    Turkey vest?

And what seems to be the necessities?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have a “coyote lounger” seat with backrest that has a sling that goes over my shoulder. To that sling, I have a carabiner / clip that I can clip my eCaller to.

Everything else goes in my pockets. Which is usually not a problem since I’m always wearing a camo outfit that has lots of pockets. Controller, extra ammo, and a drag rope are about all I need. I even skip the drag rope if I’m hunting an area where I can easily come back with an ATV to fetch a downed coyote.

It’s worth noting that I usually hunt where I go to an area, park the vehicle well away from where I intend to hunt, walk in .25 to .5 miles, make 1-2 stands, then leave. So I’m never away from the vehicle more than an hour and therefore I don’t need to carry a ton of gear.

I carry my rifle or shotgun in my hands because usually I’m moving slowly and quietly toward my stand location in “still hunting” mode and you never know what you’re going to see, so best be ready. My father busted a bobcat one year on the way into a stand with me. It was out of range and disappeared quickly, but this just reinforced to me that fact that if you’re out hunting, be hunting all the time.

I have used a backpack when I’m hiking into an area where I’ll make multiple stands. In western MN I have an area that’s on private land on the back of a big WMA. I walk the entire length making multiple stands and then get picked up at the far side, so there I carry a mobile phone, more ammo, water bottle, etc and a simple camo back pack is just easier.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I travel with as little as possible

Mouth calls are all on a Heavy Hauler Predator Supreme lanyard. I have the extra “add-ons” that simply clip to the main line for the additional calls. Having them on my neck/chest keeps them warm and thawed out on miserably cold days.

Fanny pack – Fox Pro, remote, extra batteries, range finder, knives,skinning rope, latex medical gloves, and my coyote sling for carrying them out. My TMS Trauma kit attaches to the fanny pack belt. Oh, and i keep a .22 boresnake in my fanny pack.

50rnd box of ammo in my pocket.

Detachable foam seat from my turkey vest attaches in my coat.

I hate to break a sweat on the walk in. Anything to keep scent down and I travel as comfortable as I can.

On rare occasions, like when I hunt out west in WY, CO I have a Fieldline Pro Day Pack for the extra water, extra bi-pods, and other goodies

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

50rnd box of ammo in my pocket.

I like your optimism. mrgreen

Call me Mr. Glass Half Empty, but I usually carry 8 shotgun shells (including the 4 in the gun) or 5-15 rifle cartridges depending on the rifle’s magazine size.

One of the chief benefits to me in switching to an AR platform is I now have the potential to effectively miss at a vastly faster rate than I ever could before.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

All I own are 50 rnd boxes. I cut soft foam and put in the lid to hold them snug and quiet.

I HATE- with a Flippin passion caring loose ammo.

Btw grouse, I can get you 100 rnd mags for that ar peace

Attachments:
    1. 20150924_173420.jpg

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Generally in all my pockets, or in my hands. Extra ammo goes on the rifles stock in one of those simple slip on shell holders.
    However this year I am going to be carrying a fanny pack for hunting, with extra shells (shotgun), knife, drag cord, compass, scent away spray. I used to only take the rifle to the stands, but I am going to make it a habit to have the rifle on a sling and the shotgun in my hands as I go so the fanny pack with the few extra supplies is going to keep my hands free. I wear a standard pair of carhart style insulated coveralls (with camo wind pants over top or a white ghilli pair) that have a nice chest pocket to keep hand calls in.

Neccesities:
    2 Calls of some sort (in case one stops working which is my luck so I have the electronic and hand calls)
    Rifle
    Ammo for said rifle
    A seat unless you like to sit on the ground
    Dress for the weather

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Hey Grouse
    Where does one find one of these Coyote lounge seats you speak of?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Hey Grouse
    Where does one find one of these Coyote lounge seats you speak of?

I wish I could tell you. I got mine at Fleet Farm about 5 years ago and I’ve been looking for a second one for years but can’t find them anymore.

They are similar to this one that Les Johnson uses on his show, but mine has a thicker seat pad: http://predatorquest.com/pq-logo-easy-chair-seat-cushion/

Grouse

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.