How deep of bitcon needed for fish house

• mrpike1973

Here is the situation. I have a small wheelhouse we have been parking it in front of our driveway which was an existing walkway of class 5 gravel. Over time we just let it grow over in weeds it is mowed. drainage is not an issue. We are getting 7 yards of Bitcon this is the crushed concrete and asphalt. This is in another small driveway and we really like how it packs and stays put. How thick does this need to be for the parking of this wheelhouse? It is only for a parking spot and I want a barrier of the Bitcon instead of grass between the bottom of the floor. Basically we are tired of weed wacking and don’t want to wack the house or use weed killer. Thanks by hand it will be a lot of work

big_g
    Isle, MN

I want to say typically crushed granite you would want about 3″ of material… not sure of the bitcon, but it has to be close to that.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

A friend put crushed concrete on driveway and it was super dusty. He hated it.

mrpike1973

Thanks for the info. I have not run into the dust issue but the driveways we have are very short. Interesting to know though.

CBMN
    North Metro

I don’t know the weight of your wheel house or what type of subbase material is under it or much about the properties of bitcon. General rule of thumb for class 5 gravel base for under an asphalt driveway was 4″ under a residential driveway in sandy soil and 6″ – 8″ for a commercial driveway that would have heavy duty trucks/tractor trailers and you go up from that point with good sand being the best sub base and more gravel for clay, etc… I would put 4-6″ down and call it good but I don’t know your situation well enough, 2″ – 3″ might be plenty.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I would put 4-6″ down and call it good but I don’t know your situation well enough, 2″ – 3″ might be plenty.

As I recall the fish house in question is quite light, I would think 2-3 would be plenty.

mrpike1973

It’s the smallest Ice castle made Lil Jigger it weighs #2200 loaded. If memory serves I have about 4 inches of class 5 gravel in this spot. Over the years probably half inch of dirt mud crude etc. on top I scraped that away and got to gravel. Basically we use the house in the summer to watch movies and camp maybe twice so it doesn’t move much but having it on something that will shed the water would be nice. Thinking of laying down a 2 x 12 for the tires did this before but dig them in so its easy to back up to. In the winter we thought it would be a nicer base to back onto. By doing it before winter hoping to pack it in some.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I put that on my driveway a few years ago. I did have a good base.
    I put down 4″ and haven’t done anything with sense.

CBMN
    North Metro

I would recommend a few concrete pavers over the 2″x12″ mrpike.

mrpike1973

CBMN That’s a great idea Thank You!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.