How Can We Keep Our Schools Safe?

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

This was entirely avoidable. The FBI knew for a year that this character was a loose canon and did nothing. Now would be a good time to hold someone to accountability within that organization from the person that took the call from the operator right down to the person who trashed canned the information. The FBI should not be above consequences on this.

There have been a myriad of social issues brought to light in this thread that certainly don’t parallel legal gun ownership. Not one single thing will get properly addressed by attacking legal gun owners. FOCUS needs to be put on the social issues, not your legal neighbors.

I hunt. I love to shoot. My guns come out to go to an organized range, to our cabin or to the woods when I hunt. I hunt entirely with single shot front stuffers and, I will add, I am very successful. I don’t need more than one shot, so this whining about needing a 30 shot clip full of ammo falls on my deaf ears. There is no need for any hunting weapon to have more than one round in the chamber and three following in the magazine. Anyone arguing that larger magazine capacities make for better target shooting or better hunting is full of fluff. I’m all for getting AR’s and all other platform weapons out of public ownership. They are not target guns nor are they hunting guns.

How can we make our schools safer? Get in touch with those you’ve voted for to go to Washington and insist that they go right to the core of this last episode, the FBI, and demand that they take action against everyone of those within the organization that failed to act on all of the credible information that they had handed to them. Then tell your elected officials that you want them to round up all the bleeding hearts and kick them square in the nuts, telling them that there is going to be a shake-up in our society and its going to start with them. This should take about 30 years and then the elected persons can start to address the gun stuff.

tornadochaser

I hunt. I love to shoot. My guns come out to go to an organized range, to our cabin or to the woods when I hunt. I hunt entirely with single shot front stuffers and, I will add, I am very successful. I don’t need more than one shot, so this whining about needing a 30 shot clip full of ammo falls on my deaf ears. There is no need for any hunting weapon to have more than one round in the chamber and three following in the magazine. Anyone arguing that larger magazine capacities make for better target shooting or better hunting is full of fluff. I’m all for getting AR’s and all other platform weapons out of public ownership. They are not target guns nor are they hunting guns.

The neat thing about the second amendment is that it has ZERO to do with what you hunt with. When the 2nd was written in the late 1700’s, cannons were privately owned. Punkle guns were privately owned. multishot flintlock pepperbox pistols were invented in the years prior to the 2nd amendments ratification. none of those were used for hunting, but the 2nd didn’t say “the right to bear single shot arms for hunting shall not be infringed” did it?

Don’t worry though, those of us who care about all legal gun ownership will continue to fight for your rights, regardless of how you feel about ours. Now you’ll have to excuse me, I’m going to head out with my AR that shoots sub MOA and do some coyote hunting. I might even use a 60 round magazine in case I call in the triple that I saw 4 nights ago…you know so I can spray lead from the hip or whatever it is you envision AR owners do.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Tom….while I respect your opinion and you……
    Approximately 5 million other people who own 1 legally would disagree…….

We need a true fix not bans…….

basseyes

Can someone show me where there’s anything in the second that in any way, shape or form mentions anything related to hunting?

Iowaboy1

Can someone show me where there’s anything in the second that in any way, shape or form mentions anything related to hunting?

hunting was a daily way of life back then,there were not any grocery stores where meats of all sorts were already butchered and processed sitting on a shelf ready for you to take home.
    that gun you used for hunting was also the gun you used to defend your home,your life,your country.

not trying to be a smart ass but it was a given back then that your gun was used for more than God and country.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike Martine wrote:</div>
    So sad , just tired of seeing this happen over and over . The politicians are so beholden to powerful special interest groups , nothing will change unless we make it happen . I am a hunter , gun owner , and an ex marine . I’m also a father of two . I just don’t see what purpose these particular weapons serve. They fall into the wrong hands too easily .If it possibly saves some child’s life by making it harder for some whack job to obtain these weapons , I have no problem with harsher restrictions on guns . I know it won’t solve it all , but it’s a start .

Simple question, what law’s did this shooter follow? If he didn’t follow the law’s we already have, why would he follow more law’s?

I’m not a Florida law expert , nor a second amendment expert . Just stating my opinion that these weapons shouldn’t be so easily obtained . I realize criminals don’t follow laws , but why make it easy for them ? I’m not gonna argue here , I’ll vote my opinion.

basseyes

I’m not a Florida law expert , nor a second amendment expert . Just stating my opinion that these weapons shouldn’t be so easily obtained . I realize criminals don’t follow laws , but why make it easy for them ? I’m not gonna argue here , I’ll vote my opinion.

Discussions are good, I don’t get the feeling at all that you are arguing.

For me personally, I question how effective more law’s will be at stopping ease of access, when we both agree criminals don’t follow law’s.

What is agreed on is there needs to be something done to curb this violence. What that is, I don’t pretend to have the answer. Putting law’s into place isn’t a bad thing, as long as they’ll help. Imo we need to be proactive vs reactive. Defending our kids needs a we attitude vs a political battle of left vs right. We are American’s, not pro this or anti that. I might not agree with your point of view and I don’t expect anyone to agree with mine. But I do believe everyone is free to not be infringed on their right to free speech, whether I agreed with it or not.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think it’s agreed here that the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting but I’m also seeing comments about target shooting.

The second amendment has nothing to do with hunting, target shooting or any type of recreation.

The second amendment is all about protection. Protection from criminals, oppressive government, protection against corruption. It’s there to ensure our freedom. We must continue to fight for the right to own the SAME arms as our government agencies. They should never be allowed to carry an arm when we are not. If we lose that right we become vulnerable.

Oppressive government caused an uprising that started this country. Anyone that thinks this can’t happen again is sadly mistaken. Put yourself back in the early 1900’s, the industrial revolution. The world is changing at light speed and technology any industry is booming. Then Nazi Germany comes along. I’m sure no one thought that could happen then.

We have a massive crime and mental health problem in this country. We also have a massive poverty problem. Work on those issues and this all fades away.

I know this will all go ignored for the individual little arguments going on here.

David Blais

To conquer a nation, you must first disarm it’s citizens

big_g
    Isle, MN

Drugs, Video Games, Smart Phones, Genders, Single Parents, Music, Tide Pods, Conformity, Non-Conformity… glad I was a kid when I was. (we have always had guns, even more readily available when there was not school shootings happening)

mojogunter

School shootings started in the US in 1893, if you don’t count native americans shooting the teacher, and scalping children in 1764

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>
    The kid may have been sick ask yourself ,Canada ,Australia, Great Britain don,t have any more mentally ill per thousand than the US . What is the difference ? For one they don,t have the NRA pumping hundreds of millions of dollars to Gop or Democrats to push their agenda. Im a multiple gun owner and have friends who are licensed to own silenced weapons , they all have proper paperwork and went through a rigorous background checks . The problem with the NRA is they don’t represent my values ,one school shooting is one to many! Its time the NRA worked to create a system to prevent this from happening , but i doubt that will happen anytime soon !

Don. I don’t get you point here. What role did the NRA play in this Shooting. I like you am not a NRA member and also don’t fully agree with all of their Views but not sure what roll they played here. This shooter from what I understand got his gun thru normal channels.

When the NRA buys off politicians to promote unbridled sales of firearms. My God i remember when i bought my 454 Casull there was a 3 day waiting period ,now we don,t even have that ! When the NRA rolls back on any common sense laws , they are part of the problem ,a very big part ! You watch people will not take this much longer . Mid terms are coming .

big_g
    Isle, MN

School shootings started in the US in 1893, if you don’t count native americans shooting the teacher, and scalping children in 1764

No AR’s in 1893 or 1764. Proves a lot of the previous posters points.

Theodore Kermes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Does a single shot rifle not work for target shooting or varmint hunting?

Does a Horse not work as a way for you to get to work???
    Or a Row boat without a motor as a means to fish????

That’s not answering the question.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>

So if the shooter had a single shot rifle and only killed 6 people, you would be ok with that ? Let’s have the conversation… it’s a people problem, not a gun problem. Over and over and over… people are blind to the obvious. I even feel a little bit sorry for the kid… he gave MANY clues that he was disturbed and had bad thoughts… and he was just ignored. Not anymore.

roehrich

The kid may have been sick ask yourself ,Canada ,Australia, Great Britain don,t have any more mentally ill per thousand than the US . What is the difference ? For one they don,t have the NRA pumping hundreds of millions of dollars to Gop or Democrats to push their agenda. Im a multiple gun owner and have friends who are licensed to own silenced weapons , they all have proper paperwork and went through a rigorous background checks . The problem with the NRA is they don’t represent my values ,one school shooting is one to many! Its time the NRA worked to create a system to prevent this from happening , but i doubt that will happen anytime soon !

Don. I don’t get you point here. What role did the NRA play in this Shooting. I like you am not a NRA member and also don’t fully agree with all of their Views but not sure what roll they played here. This shooter from what I understand got his gun thru normal channels.

When the NRA buys off politicians to promote unbridled sales of firearms. My God i remember when i bought my 454 Casull there was a 3 day waiting period ,now we don,t even have that ! When the NRA rolls back on any common sense laws , they are part of the problem ,a very big part ! You watch people will not take this much longer . Mid terms are coming .

Agreed,

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Serious question. Why does it always turn to guns then the original conversation gets muddled. It becmes an attack on a tool then becomes a defensive response to protect an lifeless hunk of matter.

The important conversation gets lost to be replaced by what? Why don’t we figure out why these people do things they do instead of blaming a tool? Did the tool make them do it?
    I know there is talk of the mentally unstable but I don’t believe the majority who commit these things are mentally disabled. I just feel its a talking point created to place blame just like the tool.
    Oh I’m sure some what I’m saying is a continuation of the gun talk and continue from here their talk of guns, go ahead thats fine just remember this will never be fixed if the talk keeps ending to be about guns.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

National cc reciprocity!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Theodore Kermes wrote:</div>

So if the shooter had a single shot rifle and only killed 6 people, you would be ok with that ? Let’s have the conversation… it’s a people problem, not a gun problem. Over and over and over… people are blind to the obvious. I even feel a little bit sorry for the kid… he gave MANY clues that he was disturbed and had bad thoughts… and he was just ignored. Not anymore.

I mean that still is a tragedy, but given that everyone thinks it’s impossible to stop these events from happening, I’d be okay with a first step that brings the death total down by 75%.

But then again, I’m a bit more concerned about my kids coming home safely from school than I am about letting some dude stockpile 10,000 rounds of ammo for his high capacity death machine.

There isn’t a silver bullet to this, but I’m all for anything that reduces the odds or makes it harder for it to happen. Make a month long waiting period for all hand guns or ARs, or three months, I don’t know, do SOMETHING. Make ammunition prohibitively expensive for in-home/private use(but allow gun ranges to sell at normal prices and monitor usage or something).

DO SOMETHINNNNNG. I get that your right to own guns is more important than the right for people’s kids to return home safely from school, you’ve made that abundantly clear. But F that point of view.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Spot on Phil. I like your idea of a month or longer on background checks. With all the social media out there these days, you can’t tell me it would be difficult to see that this POS should not be allowed to own a BB gun, let alone an AR. Raising ammunition prices for the public would help too. Sell it at the range for normal and you have to use what you buy there. Like you said….DO SOMETHING!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Again.. going after the gun. The gun by itself does nothing in these school shootings… the shooter by itself, uses another tool to get the job done at a lesser degree or maybe they build a bomb and do even more carnage ? Do we really want to focus on the gun again and not the person/shooter ? Again really ? Until next time and then blame the gun again and ignore the shooter, just kill him or throw him in jail.. repeat, repeat, repeat. It is like banging your head against the wall… until you cannot anymore… then after time, you forget about the pain, until you find yourself banging away again… and again… and again. Nobody is pitting guns against kids, they are pitting guns against a mentally unstable kid… continue to ignore the kid, focus on the millions of guns that do nothing wrong. F that view.

CaptainMusky

Figure out why these people do the things they do and WHY all the warning signs didn’t lead to this kid being thwarted before anything happened. None of these mass shootings have been a surprise in retrospect. There were signs, they were either ignored completely or didn’t alarm anyone enough to do something.
    You guys hear about the grandma who called authorities when she found her grandsons journal? Authorities investigated it, then arrested him in school. He had a knife and marijuana in him. He had details about using explosives and shooting plans. This was recently in WA.
    Until people take these warnings seriously and do something about when we have the chance this will happen again.

basseyes

The fascinating thing that people loose sight of is, start talking restricting the right to bear arm’s, gun sale’s sky rocket. Talk about restrictions on hc magazines and mean looking arm’s, their sale’s sky rocket. Looking at it from a little different angle, pro gun control conversations are quite possibly part of the problem. Yet we as a country wonder why kids shift blame, maybe we all need a long look in the mirror. The kid pulled the trigger, terrorists flew the planes, a truck full of diesel and fertilizer didn’t drive itself. There were signs he needed help, those signs were ignored, that’s what and where I’d focus attention. Disarming will do nothing short term, other than fuel more and more concern over chipping away at the second. I know more and more young people, women and minorities that support the second than I’d ever thought possible. I know more and more people who’ve been voting a singular issue, second amendment protection as they hear more and more about giving up freedom in exchange for government protection. History proves over and over again, that’s not a good direction. Yet we are foolish enough to think our government is incapable of deceit or pulling the wool over our eyes, when we don’t trust them already, yet we are willfully wanting to give them more control. I don’t understand that at all. Other than under the emotional idea, well we need to do something however ineffective that something is, at least we’ll feel better about it. Feel good, ineffective law’s already are choking the country dry.

c_w
    central MN

Yes that’s a great idea! You will be voting for the ones who support gun control in the name of saving the children out of one side of their mouths while wanting full term abortion leagalized out of the other side. Sounds like a win, win. Take the guns away and kill the kids before they are even born.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Someone please end this thread and put it out of its misery. My brain cells are dying just reading some of these posts.

mojogunter

I don’t want to get into this pissing match, but the difference is a hunting rifle doesn’t have a 100 or more capacity magazine. I never understood the banana clips even 30 years ago for the typical gun owner. If you need more than 6 shots you likely aren’t going to hit what you are shooting at if it is game. A crowd is a different story I guess.

What’s the difference between an AR15 or ‘military style assault rifle’ and a semi auto ‘hunting rifle’? One looks more bad asz than the other but functionally they are about the same. If banning AR15’s and the like would reduce crazies from going postal I’d be all for regulation but I doubt it would do much if anything. Mentally unstable people will still go off even if they can’t get a cool looking gun to do it. Ban those guns and what’s next when shootings continue?

Most anti gun folks don’t understand guns enough to know what regulations would be practical or effective. I heard and interview with a politician calling for the ban of automatic guns and when informed automatic guns are banned she said then we need to ban all semi automatic guns. I’m positive she had no clue she was calling for a ban on the majority of the guns used in America today. Good luck banning all semi autos.

There are more effective guns to use for close range shooting that thankfully haven’t been used and get little or no attention from the media or anti gun crowd. Eliminate one tool and another will come to the surface.

To the original question. Mental health is a tough issue to address but it needs more attention. The government hasn’t done much. Monitoring social media closer would be a good proactive approach and would be easy to do. Arming teachers and better security might help reduce severity but it probably won’t curb frequency much.

joemama
    North St Paul

Yes that’s a great idea! You will be voting for the ones who support gun control in the name of saving the children out of one side of their mouths while wanting full term abortion leagalized out of the other side. Sounds like a win, win. Take the guns away and kill the kids before they are even born.

What solution do you have ?? Full Term Abortion really ? Does your T.V. have one of those new fangled devices called a remote or is it stuck on one 1 channel ?

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Someone please end this thread and put it out of its misery. My brain cells are dying just reading some of these posts.

X100

Time to take this horse out to pasture and… nevermind.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yep, nuke the thread… until the next mentally ill person gets the attention they seek by harming others… that’s been the cycle for years.

For those who think the 2nd Amendment was designed for people to keep their guns for hunting… go back to history class. Who wants to face a tyrannical government with fully auto weapons, with a 6 round bolt action ? (the fact that fully autos are outlawed is infringing on the Constitution already btw)

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Big G I agree with you 100% here and I will never budge when it comes to our second amendment right. Hunting and target shooting should NEVER enter the conversation when talking about gun rights.

Now let’s examine the other side. It is a FACT that strict gun laws reduce gun violence. That’s what they’re hanging their logic on.

This was the greatest country in the world. I’m not confident about that anymore. These types of massacres are proof that our country is in serious decay. The biggest issues that lead to gun violence are drugs and mental health. Beyond that we have a massive poverty issue.

We will always lead the world in gun violence but where we are at today is unacceptable. We need to attack the above issue to solve what we saw this week.

Legalize marijuana and other similar drugs and use the tax money to treat addiction and mental health. Sound slightly socialistic but mental health and addiction is everyone’s problem.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.