House passes gun sale universal background check bill

• Sharon
    SE Metro

“The House on Thursday passed the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2021, a measure that would require universal background checks on all commercial gun sales, part of a new push for gun control after Democrats won control of the Senate.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-passes-gun-sale-universal-background-check-bill/story?id=76387307

https://www.vox.com/2021/3/11/22319705/universal-background-checks-house-thompson-murphy

Interesting how the same stories have a different spin, spending on which website you’re viewing.

USA Today says, “The bills introduced Tuesday in the House and Senate would extend current federal background check requirements to transactions conducted by unlicensed and private sellers.” I’m left wondering how this affects passing down your weapons to your kids or other family members.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/03/gun-sales-background-check-legislation-back-congress/6906980002/

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I saw this earlier too. Thanks for posting Sharon.

Interesting note that is does have some Republican support too.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The last version that I read had provisions for direct family members. I haven’t read any updates or amendments. It’s all the other crap in the pipeline that impacts law abiding citizens that criminals won’t follow. When was the last time a crack dealer went to the left cal gun shop and bought a new firearm??? Nope, trunk sales will continue as usual but these idiots will have a feel good law. Dumbazzes have already passed laws they can’t enforce, so I guess what is a few more if paranoid people feel better????

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It does not create a national, public database of firearm purchases.

mojogunter

I doubt this post lasts long. I don’t think anyone but a few people unrealistic people think that background checks are to keep criminals from legally getting a gun. The hope is people with mental illness, stalkers, and domestic abuse cases are turned away from getting a gun.

The last version that I read had provisions for direct family members. I haven’t read any updates or amendments. It’s all the other crap in the pipeline that impacts law abiding citizens that criminals won’t follow. When was the last time a crack dealer went to the left cal gun shop and bought a new firearm??? Nope, trunk sales will continue as usual but these idiots will have a feel good law. Dumbazzes have already passed laws they can’t enforce, so I guess what is a few more if paranoid people feel better????

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I already gave all my firearms to my kids. I’m just storing them in my gun safe for safekeeping.

Ripjiggen

I doubt this post lasts long. I don’t think anyone but a few people unrealistic people think that background checks are to keep criminals from legally getting a gun. The hope is people with mental illness, stalkers, and domestic abuse cases are turned away from getting a gun.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

And I would be all for those people not getting guns as well. I think most would.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I believe I “own” 2 guns as far as the government is concerned. Storage/possession is a completely different topic.

Draft all the legislation you want. Best wishes with enforcement. I’d put enforcement/monitoring of private firearm transactions similar in probability to world peace, cures for all diseases, a Vikings Super Bowl, or me winning the lottery without ever buying a ticket.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Draft all the legislation you want. Best wishes with enforcement. I’d put enforcement/monitoring of private firearm transactions similar in probability to world peace, cures for all diseases, a Vikings Super Bowl, or me winning the lottery without ever buying a ticket.

It’s not really even for enforcement on the front end, but once someone gets in other legal trouble and they find guns without the proper paper trail they will face additional charges.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    a Vikings Super Bowl

um its the offseason which means the Vikings are SB favorites

Be careful Crappie, comments like that could lead to you being labeled as mentally unstable. I’ll store your rifles for you. jester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

lol lol lol

Somebody get my lawn chair I’m posting up next to EPG

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The only way they will ever be able to enforce this is with a national gun registry. I hear its a cool $200 per item to do that currently. Also it seems like HR 127 is just around the corner now too.

Tom schmitt

I read this bill this morning. It probably is the closest thing to resonable that has come out of Washington.
    Inheritance is protected, gifting to family.
    Loaning while hunting and at the range.
    If you sell a gun you do the transfer at a licenced dealer, who does the background check. Not sure how much the dealer will charge? https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/8/text#HB85E2BC632F249AAAC0FCD5FE0097F4C
    above is the link to it.

Not sure why they call it bipartisan as only 4 republicans cosponsored it.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

The best way to control firearms is to control ammo which is what you are seeing now. I don’t believe fighting the 2A is an approach anyone is taking.

jime

I think the purpose is to prevent a few quacks from shooting
    their wife/kids. If it prevents one more school massacre it
    is worth.

4 Republicans are four more than voted to send each of you a
    $ 1400.00 check.

tweed

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I think the purpose is to prevent a few quacks from shooting
    their wife/kids. If it prevents one more school massacre it
    is worth.

4 Republicans are four more than voted to send each of you a
    $ 1400.00 check.

tweed

Like all the other laws in place to prevent this? This law is nothing more than another attempt to restrict gun ownership.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

This is a good post. Please ignore Jime’s last sentence In his post.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I am a responsible gun owner and normally against almost any form of additional gun laws. This one doesn’t really bother me. To me this only expands on the current law ( in place for a long time now ) this simply makes the same requirement for sale of guns to private parties. I always though it odd that you needed a background check to purchase from a licensed dealer but didn’t to buy one from a private party. That’s like saying to those people who should not have a firearm in the 1st place “ don’t worry. Just buy yourself a gun from someone posting online or selling out of the trunk of their car “. Do I think this will stop criminals and other who should not own a gun from getting one – NO. Do I think they will do much to enforce this law – NO. Do I think this is the end of the government attempt to lessen or end gun ownership – NO. This is why it more important than ever to really pay attention to who you are voting for at election time. I truly believe there will come a time in this country when Good people are going to need to stand up and do something to stop all of this government control . Much like people had to at the start of the formation of this once great country. I don’t think the time for that is now over anything like this little bill. I can only hope the government doesn’t push people to that point anytime in the future.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am a responsible gun owner and normally against almost any form of additional gun laws. This one doesn’t really bother me. To me this only expands on the current law ( in place for a long time now ) this simply makes the same requirement for sale of guns to private parties.

Same. No issue closing the gun show or private seller loophole here either. If you want to buy a firearm from anyone, you should be subject to the same criminal and mental background check that everyone else is (legally). I have nothing to hide and I will pass the FBI back ground check every time.

I guess the part that confuses me is the 10 day waiting period for a back ground check now instead of 3. 10 days is a long time.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Criminals that buy stolen guns or how ever else they are obtained don’t do background checks, don’t have a waiting period, and have a high percentage of repeating crimes.
    So please, explain to me how this or any other law works to stop them :???::???::???::???::???::???::???::???:

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Ditto to what Randy said. The laws only restrict and add tax and fees for honest, law abiding citizens. The lawless laugh as the laws pile up. I read the paper every day and see criminals with guns get off with light sentences or probation. Mismanaged states and cities can’t afford to put criminals in prison. Every so called gun crime is really a drug crime, gang crime, mental health problem or other criminal issue that government won’t address for what it is so they blame guns. Until they 1. Address the root causes of violence and 2. Enforce the laws on the books and keep felons incarcerated, they can pass law after law and nothing will change.

Deuces

Our mental health agencies flag a person, or our justice system flags a person as not suited for owning a gun, it only makes sense to have laws in place to make sure they don’t get one.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Criminals that buy stolen guns or how ever else they are obtained don’t do background checks, don’t have a waiting period, and have a high percentage of repeating crimes.
    So please, explain to me how this or any other law works to stop them :???::???::???::???::???::???::???::???:

It probably won’t. But is that an argument that should shut this idea down? Or does it put “perfect” in the way of “good?”

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So please, explain to me how this or any other law works to stop them

I don’t disagree with that Randy. Let me use a gun show example though. An individual with a felony or history of documented mental health issues walks into a gun show where they don’t do back ground checks or mental health checks. They can buy a gun. Then we have someone who shouldn’t have one at that point. If there is a simple check on this, it has potentially prevented a firearm exchange in that specific scenario. That person could still obtain one illegally and likely will, but at least we stopped them by closing the loop hole at that time. If you or I walk in there and we want a gun, we pass the check, and we buy it as a law abiding citizen. The universal back ground check for crimes and mental health is not universally used right now. What this does is fix that.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

As always….
    1. This is just another “chipping away” at the 2A
    2. This bill will do NOTHING, nor do those introducing it care, to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, PERIOD. All it does is make the average person a felon for purchasing something your 2A guarantees.
    3. Shall NOT be infringed…

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

This is a good post. Please ignore Jime’s last sentence In his post.

Im trying really hard……

I agree with what Randy and Mike said.
    Laws won’t stop people from getting guns. If someone wants a gun they can get one. Whether they are legally allowed or not, if they want one they’ll get one.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I guess the part that confuses me is the 10 day waiting period for a back ground check now instead of 3. 10 days is a long time.

I guess the part that confuses me is, for every gun I have ever purchased in any state, the FBI NICS check took a whopping 10 minutes, not 3 days.

Our mental health agencies flag a person, or our justice system flags a person as not suited for owning a gun, it only makes sense to have laws in place to make sure they don’t get one.

Who exactly are our mental health agencies? the attitude police?

You should understand that this opens a very nasty can of worms- if someone disagrees with your politics, your attitude, your worldview, whatever they could anonymously turn you in under “red flag” laws, which now exist in several states and are obviously going to continue to spread. This leads to immediate confiscation while you are placed in a position where you have to front the bill to defend yourself. And there’s no repercussions for those who “falsely” red flag you. In other words, this is exactly what the so-called “gun nuts” have been warning about for years.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I guess the part that confuses me is, for every gun I have ever purchased in any state, the FBI NICS check took a whopping 10 minutes, not 3 days.

It has taken under 30 minutes every time for me too.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>
    So please, explain to me how this or any other law works to stop them

I don’t disagree with that Randy. Let me use a gun show example though. An individual with a felony or history of documented mental health issues walks into a gun show where they don’t do back ground checks or mental health checks. They can buy a gun. Then we have someone who shouldn’t have one at that point. If there is a simple check on this, it has potentially prevented a firearm exchange in that specific scenario. That person could still obtain one illegally and likely will, but at least we stopped them by closing the loop hole at that time. If you or I walk in there and we want a gun, we pass the check, and we buy it as a law abiding citizen. The universal back ground check for crimes and mental health is not universally used right now. What this does is fix that.

So I am thinking this out as you described “the fix” . So let’s take firearms out of the equation and use crack. I am in desperate need of a fix and the dealer I buy from daily was arrested and in jail. That source is GONE. The “fix” would mean that I no longer have desire for crack and will never buy it. We know that is my realistic and I’ll just go to the next alley for the next dealer.

Same will be for anyone wanting to illegally obtain a firearm. There is a buyer and a seller.

The only thing I see coming ng from this is a law the increases crime. The car trunk gun dealers will still have customers and will need to source their product. So they’ll enlist a ther thieves to rob more homes and businesses to steal guns to have to sell to those that can not legally buy them.

Ultimately you are just putting lipstick on the pig

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.