House – Exterior spray foam question?

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Has anyone seen spray foam used on the exterior exposed foundation wall of a home? We purchased this home last year and one of the previous owners had the exterior foundation spray foamed. The foam looks horrible now and I am trying to figure out what can be done to either remove it or replace it.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6485.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve never seen that. Is it hiding rotted block? Shape it off and look at it.

Reef W

My house has that and several of the other houses around me do too. Might be an 80s thing? All of the houses around me were built in 85. I don’t have an answer though, mine looks like poop too, so I’d be interested in hearing what you are supposed to do about it.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Yea, I think the house was build in early 90’s.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ve seen this before as well. They try to coat it with a UV protectant and it never seems to hold up. Insulation on the outside of a foundation is challenging with our freeze/thaw cycles moving thing around. One option would be to remove the exposed foam to just below grade. Cutting a straight line. Then install rigid polystyrene and cover that with break-metal in the color of your choosing.

Dragginbottom

Seen this a lot on old farmhouses the paint gets damaged by mowers and weed whips and the foam gets deteriorated from elements. You could do like Joe said but there is a product called ground breaker from Nudo instead of metal comes in grey 1’ and 2’ wide 50’rolls it’s a fiberglass bead board works good I have used many times for projects just like this

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

We(wetherization)sprayfoam rough surfaces with 2 prt foam and cover with the uv protectors.The easiest coating to apply is elasto-polymer sold at menards called tuff coat,it can be troweled on right out of bucket.
    It’s usually applied to just below grade,and is a good energy saving measure.usually applied on homes with uninsulated block or poured concrete walls.
    It comes off fairly easy and if foundation walls are smooth gluing polystyrene and covering with treated plywood fastened with tapcons,top edge should be covered,j channel,treated2x2 at top edge or overhang of the house.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

The basement of the house is finished and fully insulated so I don’t know that I need the insulation on the outside. I think this was done prior to the basement being finished. Any thoughts?

Based on the info here it seems like the best option may be to try to remove the existing insulation and then use something like Tuff Coat or Ground Breaker to make it visually appealing. My main concern is the looks of it, even if it’s scraped off I assume there will be foam stuck to the block walls.

Anyone know a contractor in the metro that might do a job like this?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Depending on the system they used for your foundation insulation, you may need the insulation on the outside to prevent potential condensation issues.

FYI – Always best to have insulation on the outside. That brings the point of condensation to the exterior.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Depending on the system they used for your foundation insulation, you may need the insulation on the outside to prevent potential condensation issues.

FYI – Always best to have insulation on the outside. That brings the point of condensation to the exterior.

The new home we built 7 years ago didn’t have insulation on the exterior, only the interior. It seems like this was fairly common the new houses that I was looking at with block foundations. Is it common to insulate exposed foundation walls if the basement is insulated?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

The new home we built 7 years ago didn’t have insulation on the exterior, only the interior. It seems like this was fairly common the new houses that I was looking at with block foundations. Is it common to insulate exposed foundation walls if the basement is insulated?

Yes waterproofed and insulated below grade

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

For an ice cold Corona –

Q
    Does code call for a basement to be insulated?

Clue – It’s a one word answer

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Insulation like that was common in the late 70’s thru the 80’s in Dakota and Scott counties in MN. I know the vapor barrier on the inside was different with the outside insulation than the method used after that. I wouldn’t scrape it off until I knew how it would effect condensation in the basement. It may not be pleasant to look at but it’s better than having mold & mildew issues because you did something before you know what you’re dealing with.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Come on!
    No guesses?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

For an ice cold Corona –

Q

Maybe?

Would it depend on the amount of knowledge of the inspector or the knowledge of the builder to convince the inspector he knew what he was talking about?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

ICFs…hard to beat and worth every penny

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>estion/#post-2131084″>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    For an ice cold Corona –

Q

Maybe?

Would it depend on the amount of knowledge of the inspector or the knowledge of the builder to convince the inspector he knew what he was talking about?

That is the correct answer, however for different reasons.
    With new construction it is required. In existing (and I could go very in depth but I don’t communicate well with a keyboard. I would be better sitting on a bar stool explaining) not so much.

Bucky –
    Nothing better than an ICF foundation.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Can anyone recommend a contractor who would be able to help me address this issue the correct way?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Installed Building Solutions.

FYI – If it’s a small project it might be difficult to get anyone there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.