Hot beef commercial & and sour cream raisin pie?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Today I came across a picture of a sandwich from a small up north diner titled “hot beef”. I said to myself, “what the hell is hot beef?”

I came across this really interesting article that went into detail about hot beef sandwiches or “hot beef commercial” is a traditional Minnesota dish dating back 100 years or more. In this article they also mentioned sour cream raisin pie. WHHAAAAT?

Anyone have the pleasure of experiencing these two old timey dishes?

Here’s the article if anyone wants to read

blank

Beef commercial, yes I’ve had many.
    Sour cream raisin pie, no. I’ve heard of it but haven’t seen it in person. Doesn’t sound appealing to me.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Sour cream raisin was my Dad’s favorite pie. The smell and looks of it was enough to turn my stomach.

hdog3385

If your ever in Glencoe check out Bump’s restaurant. Best “commercial” I’ve ever had. Think they’ve actually won awards for it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If your ever in Glencoe check out Bump’s restaurant. Best “commercial” I’ve ever had. Think they’ve actually won awards for it.

Thats what that article mentioned. I’m definitely going to go there and try it

hdog3385

I should have read the article before posting. I see they do reference Bump’s.
    redface

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Commercials are great comfort food!

Raisins disgust me, so I’ll pass on the pie. I remember my grandpa loved raisin pie, though I don’t think it was sour cream raisin.

Angler II

Today I came across a picture of a sandwich from a small up north diner titled “hot beef”. I said to myself, “what the hell is hot beef?”

I came across this really interesting article that went into detail about hot beef sandwiches or “hot beef commercial” is a traditional Minnesota dish dating back 100 years or more. In this article they also mentioned sour cream raisin pie. WHHAAAAT?

Anyone have the pleasure of experiencing these two old timey dishes?

Here’s the article if anyone wants to read

Hot beef is one of my favorite dishes. Keys cafe has an excellent one. There are a few cafes along hwy 2 up north that have great hot beef as well.

Deuces

I’m utterly shocked someone in MN doesn’t know what a hot beef sandwich is. That’s really too bad for your taste buds, cause it’s freakin bomb. Too hard to screw up too for any small diner, unless the beef is super nasty but even then the gravy makes it go down well enough.

Ripjiggen

X2 Mind Blown on not knowing a hot beef sandwich

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

X3 on the hot beef.I thought anybody born before 2000 would know what it was.
    The pie,no way.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I don’t think Hot beef isn’t really exclusive to Minnesota. I travel to many manufacturing locations in small town America- mostly farming communities, and see hot beef in nearly every town.

See some weird stuff like pony shoes and horse shoes- the pony shoes big brother, on a lot of menus too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We go out for a hot beer sandwich at the Kafe stuga in Harris once a week. Have since I was a little kid.
    If you haven’t gone then you are missing out on small town Cafe with delicious home cooked meals.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

The hot beef sandwich is a staple for me. I’m partial to the Kafe Stuga in Harris and Jack’s Shack in McGregor.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

beef commercials are a staple in my life…… don’t turn my nose up to a turkey commercial either…

managing rural small town pharmacy years ago and now in a rural hospital…. Commercials are common cafe daily specials as well as hospital cafeteria lunches. I like the raisin pie but has been a few years since I’ve had a piece but commonly sold here in New Ulm.

growing up in rural eau claire/buffalo county….. commercials were alive a well there too.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

I grew up in small town NW Iowa. My father will order the hot beef every time if it’s on the menu. I can remember my grandfather enjoying the sour cream raisin pie. bleh. When he was in the hospital, he had never had pizza before. When he ordered it, he thought it was pie and was surprised when he got to taste it. I can still see the look on his face. “This is the strangest pie…”

I can remember always seeing the sour cream raisin pie when our church would have their annual soup and pie supper. Good memories.

deertracker

I prefer a hot turkey commercial but will order beef as well. What makes me mad though is when they use beef gravy on a hot turkey commercial. That is just wrong.
    DT

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

I feel like i ate this on the regular in elementary school… anyone else???

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Harvey’s in Carver does Beef and Turkey Commercial’s pretty regularly. Great stuff on a cold day! My Grandpa used to love sour cream raisin pie, I think we used to get it from Baker’s Square back in the day.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m utterly shocked someone in MN doesn’t know what a hot beef sandwich is. That’s really too bad for your taste buds, cause it’s freakin bomb. Too hard to screw up too for any small diner, unless the beef is super nasty but even then the gravy makes it go down well enough.

first time ever hearing about it was yesterday. Im about to right that wrong though and get acquainted with one real soon.

The sour cream pie not so much…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

first time ever hearing about it was yesterday. Im about to right that wrong though and get acquainted with one real soon.

The sour cream pie not so much…

None of that pie for me either. But if you ever find your self in my neck of the woods I’ll take you up to the stuga

CaptainMusky

The best thing to do and this is without debate is to substitute mashed potatoes with hashbrowns and gravy over all of it. The bomb.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

Classic. Don’t forget about Sh.t on a Shingle as well!

hop307
    Northern Todd County

And now I am hungary and want a hot beef commercial

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I never heard it called a hot beef sandwich growing up in western MN, it was a commercial.

In college, we used to go to the Copper Kettle in St. Cloud or the cafe on East St. Germain that I can’t even remember the name of. They both had an excellent commercial.

Sour cream and raisin pie, I think this is one of those things where nobody is on the fence on this. I never had the guts to try it.

Grouse

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Thanks alot. Read the post this morning and had to take off work early before lunch to head up to the Corner Bar in Cumberland. They have a Hot Beef special for lunch (8.99). By the time I got there it really didn’t stand a chance.

I needed the base for the Wisconsin State Ice Fishing Contest tomorrow on Beaver Dam Lake.

Attachments:
    1. hot-beef.jpg

wkw

I’ve only seen it in Wyoming, but most cafes have what they call a ” Hot Hamburger Sandwich”. Same as a hot beef.but with two hamburger patties, instead of roast beef. And they are awesome !!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.