Hose Bib – Repairable?

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Recently, this faucet started acting up. I can turn it on and off, but if I tightly crank it to off, it behaves like it’s stripped out (i.e. I can’t crank it down, it’ll just keep turning).

Are these repairable or do I just have to replace it?

Attachments:
    1. 20200601_122654.jpg

travelNFish
    Nebraska

You are better off replacing the whole thing, and spend the extra $12 or so and get the good anti siphon freeze proof assembly. I rebuilt mine, just out of luck the old guy who owned the Ace hardware locally had the guts, which is just a 16″ or so rod with rubber washers and threads at the end which screw into the tube assembly. Mine were fine but both wouldn’t shutoff, and come to find out lighting struck the neighbor kids bicycle out on the sidewalk and traveled through the ground and melted the washers in mine. The joint is about 16-20″ back from the outside wall, and is either sweated on or a threaded coupler is on that it screws into. If its above a finished ceiling its a huge pain. I cut my copper back into the laundry room and pulled the whole pipe outside, redid the faucet, and pushed it back in and soldered together,instead of destroying my ceiling.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Is the knob loose and spinning or the guts of the valve?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Replacing is best option unless it’s difficult to access inside, repair should be an option, you will have to decide what is best for your situation.

Coletrain27

The whole guts of that should come out easy. Unscrew the packing nut and the whole rod and packing rings that seals it off on the inside should come out. If it’s easy to replace I would get a whole new unit. The woodford valves have always been good to me. This is what the guts look like

Attachments:
    1. 4125CEFE-7AC9-4501-8821-820BCC55D4BE.jpeg

munchy
    NULL

Before buying the repair kit pull the guts and make sure the threads on the body aren’t mangled. If so you’ll likely have to replace everything.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I pulled it apart. I’m just gonna replace. I hate plumbing, though. This’ll likely be a distaster with lots of swearing.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Accessible inside? Soldered? Threaded?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It’s accessible. It’s got one of those “shark bite” things on it now. 3/4″ copper.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Can remove and replace with a shark bite thing. I suggest the newer quarter turn style frost valve.

Ryan Wilson

I just did this same thing. I also added a dedicated shutoff valve about a foot before the sillcock hole in my crawl space. Sharkbites make for quick easy work!

buck-slayer

I pulled it apart. I’m just gonna replace. I hate plumbing, though. This’ll likely be a distaster with lots of swearing.

I’ve been down that road.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Can remove and replace with a shark bite thing. I suggest the newer quarter turn style frost valve.

I’ll have to see what Menard’s or HD has.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Been a very good lawn faucet season so far. Im guessing nobody winterize them last fall. I probably replace more froze and broke freeze proof lawn faucets than anything. Couple of replacement tips. Make sure there is a good accessible inside shut off for the lawn faucet and that shut off has a drain on it. If you put in a frost proof make sure it is well pitched in the right direction. Do not use sharkbite fittings. When they fail and flood your basement its known as being “sharkbit”.

Coletrain27

Been a very good lawn faucet season so far. Im guessing nobody winterize them last fall. I probably replace more froze and broke freeze proof lawn faucets than anything. Couple of replacement tips. Make sure there is a good accessible inside shut off for the lawn faucet and that shut off has a drain on it. If you put in a frost proof make sure it is well pitched in the right direction. Do not use sharkbite fittings. When they fail and flood your basement its known as being “sharkbit”.

procedure to winterize? Sounds like you need some insulation in your wall around your fitting coffee

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

So @MikeW22, what’s a fair price to have a plumber replace one of these things?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

if you decide to have a plumber do this, spend a bit more and have them plumb hot water faucet if you don’t already have one outside. Just a suggestion, I did it and don’t regret it one bit. I do alot of garden canning in my garage and well as other things. Sure is nice not to carry water from the house

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Price can vary a lot depending on what needs to be done and access to piping. Pretty common repair is replace lawn faucet and inside shut off for $550-$600.

Should ad that is our pricing. Ive heard pricing out there anywhere from $50 to $1500 for the same work.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

To winterize ours we have shut off valves, its easy you shut off the valve inside then open the faucet out side until water is done dripping. Reverse procedure in the spring.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Pretty common repair is replace lawn faucet and inside shut off for $550-$600.

Ouch.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

To winterize ours we have shut off valves, its easy you shut off the valve inside then open the faucet out side until water is done dripping. Reverse procedure in the spring.

We have frost free faucets. The valve is back in the house. Pipe drains clean after every use. No winterizing needed.

-J.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

There is definitely still potential for frost free valves to freeze, depending on insulation installation and location, finished or un finished, heat source. All depends on the situation.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

And they fail at some point then freeze up and break. I have a scrap pile full of frost proof lawn faucets that failed for one reason or another. Make sure there is a good inside shut off valve for them.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Make sure there is a good inside shut off valve for them.

Will do, Mike! Never have checked. waytogo

-J.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Most are in the laundry room follow the pipes in

Anonymous
    Inactive

And they fail at some point then freeze up and break. I have a scrap pile full of frost proof lawn faucets that failed for one reason or another. Make sure there is a good inside shut off valve for them.

And, remove the hose in the winter to allow it to drain.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.