SRCL Muskie Stocking Debate heating up

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Link

I can’t beleive people are argueing against this…Muskie stocking is a good thing, for those who think they’ll eat the panfish/walleye populations, Get Educated! They Don’t!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Musky’s don’t eat walleye’s???
    Not sure what your basing that on.

Not so sure they don’t eat the others also for that matter.

While I enjoy Musky fishing, I’m not convinced Musky Inc and them have the all around fishing picture in mind when they want to stock.

Al

a1a

How is the muskie supposed to maintain it’s historic label of “Fish of 10,000 casts” if these guys propose to put them in every lake in Minnesota?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Quote:

Musky’s don’t eat walleye’s???
    Not sure what your basing that on.

Not so sure they don’t eat the others also for that matter.

While I enjoy Musky fishing, I’m not convinced Musky Inc and them have the all around fishing picture in mind when they want to stock.

Al

All predator fish will eat anything in front of it, nobody (Man or Fish) turns down an easy meal, but every study has shown Musky do not prefer Walleye (This is most likely due to the Walleyes spiny dorsal fin) They prefer slow moving/high protien fish like Suckers/Bull Heads/Carp/Perch. Musky’s are not stocked in huge numbers like other fish, so I would suspect the low number of active fish has less of an impact on Walleyes compaired to the typical SRCL fisherman who keeps his daily limit and most likely freezer stocked all year round. (If you fish the SRCL, you see these people ALL THE TIME) My cabin is right in front of prime Walleye water, we never see fish thrown back.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Muskies definitely do not damage gamefish (pike, walleyes, bass, panfish) populations in well managed lakes. Apex predators help balance populations which in turn maintains size structures — helps avoid stunted populations from taking hold. Additionally, as mentioned, gamefish aren’t their preferred prey. Big pike do the same thing, but muskies are basically big pike that are less likely to be harvested because of size regulations and angler success rate, plus they are much less likely to become overpopulated. Do some research and you’ll soon be begging for muskies to be stocked in your favorite lake (or for a trophy pike regulation).

JoeMX1825
    MN

I just want the Yes/No decision to stock be based on actual data, instead of myths and “My buddy says that…” mis-information that lakehome owners & Association leaders consistantly argue with. If it’s detrimental to stocking the SRCL with Muskie, then it shouldn’t be done. If there’s no negative impact to the fishery, then let’s get the greatest fighting fish in MN in the SRCL, plain and simple!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Quote:

Muskies definitely do not damage gamefish (pike, walleyes, bass, panfish) populations in well managed lakes. Apex predators help balance populations which in turn maintains size structures — helps avoid stunted populations from taking hold. Additionally, as mentioned, gamefish aren’t their preferred prey. Big pike do the same thing, but muskies are basically big pike that are less likely to be harvested because of size regulations and angler success rate, plus they are much less likely to become overpopulated. Do some research and you’ll soon be begging for muskies to be stocked in your favorite lake (or for a trophy pike regulation).

Amen brother! I used to have a cabin on Lake Independance (Great local Musky lake), there’s no greater rush than seeing a Musky follow-up and fighting these great creatures!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Lake Nokomis is a lake I’m familiar with, most I meet fishing there say come get your musky’s please.
    Other than the few guys fishing for them.

Which seems to be who wants them stocked in the first place, can’t remember any walleye or other fish group screaming for them…might have missed it though.

Kinda like being a pheasant hunter and seeing a DU truck eyeing up your favorite field.

Al

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

way to go john23 u tell them. it’s the truth that muskies helf populations from stunting. i live in rochester and all the lakes around here are resivors with no pike or muskies. in all the lakes the fish are all small except the places that have pike and muskies. everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the facts don’t lie

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Yup, cuz introducing non-native fish into a fishery has no negative impacts.
    Keep your Muskies out of the lakes. Or at least stop the spearing restrictions. If I spent time on those lakes Id be pissed. -Mark

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Wow I cant believe people still argue about this, if I wanted to go catch good quality Panfish or Bass and the bottom dwellers I would fish a Muskie lake, all around the fisheries are healther. I seen this conflict on many Wi. lakes mostly from the uneducated old timers but after a few years when they are catching 8-9 inch gills they dont seem to mind

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Question, what are the best walleye waters in MN? Answer, Mille Lacs, Vermilion, Cass Lake Chain, Winnie, Leech, Lake of the Woods, etc. ALL MUSKIE WATERS.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.