Any noticable changes in the ice?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Any changes in the ice? Is it starting to break away from shore yet? What’s your guess for iceout?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m heading out to Prior at noon today to get in one last ice fishing outing. I may need waders to get on. I had to push the ice house over the open water and walk across it to get to the ice on Sun. This is on the north shore. I’m sure it is still frozen to the land on the south side. Still lot’s of ice once you are on, I had to drill right to the power head to get through. If we get 50’s with some wind it will go fast.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

I have a nephew home from basic training and would like to get him out on the ice before he goes back.Any updates and tips on Prior or anywhere within an hour or so of the south metro would be much appreciated.PM me if you like.

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

I was out last Sunday 3/31 and had no problem getting on the ice. It was a little soft on top, but not bad.
    I think the 6 inches of snow on Monday insulated the 30+ inches of ice, so I have a feeling the last two days just melted the snow and not any ice.
    I would say it will be at least two more weeks till open water.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Thanks for the updates, hopefully the warmer weather later this week does some damage…

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

I was out on Horseshoe yesterday, and the ice is getting bad around the edges.
    The accesses are all broken up, and walking on is the only option.
    The main lake ice is still at least 24 inches, so it will still take a few weeks to open up.
    50’s and rain this weekend will help.
    I managed a few gills and crappies, but the bite was slow and the fish seemed real finicky.
    These warmer temps should wake them up soon!

JoeMX1825
    MN

24 inches of ice still, crap, spring fever hit me hard last week, good thing I have some lift & dock work yet to do..

I forgot to ask, what color is the ice? Black? White? Grey? That gives you a good idea of it’s life left

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Quote:

I forgot to ask, what color is the ice? Black? White? Grey?

There was still quite a bit of snow left yet, but there were many grey spots sticking thru the snow/shush areas.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Get those things done so whenI stop by on the openner weekend,I don’t fall through.

JoeMX1825
    MN

With the heavy winds we had the past few days and potential 70’s next week, hopefully the ice is near it’s end…Please keep us in the loop of when it comes off

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

We got about 10 inches of snow last night.

The river channels are starting to open, we may be in the boat in 2-3 weeks if we are lucky.

JoeMX1825
    MN

70 degrees and super windy should do some ice damage today…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.