Reminder to release all Smallmouth

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I post this same message every year so in keeping with tradition, please release all Smallmouth bass caught this year on the Chain. There’s nothing better than fighting a 3+ lbs Smally with light tackle. The chains Smallie population is getting better every year and my average catch size seems to be increasing, let’s preserve this great fish on the chain and let the fishing get even better!

coppertop
    Central MN

Amen to that as well as all other waters too!!!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Thanks for postin that skeeter…I used to fish the chain often when I was a kid as my grandpa and grandma live on it. I started fishing it more last year and pulled out ADN released several nice fish…good luck this year…Jay

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

I wish they would put a slot limit on the chain for all game fish including crappies.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Slot limit would be nice for Walleyes to increase the average size (but that will never happen) I have noticed the average size has increased over the years, but the growth is slow. I pulled out some nice Northerns last year and plan to focus a bit more on them this year. Smallies have been improving steadily over the past 5 years as catch & release has been improving, but the resort vacationers seem to keep darn near everything they catch (at least its mostly sunfish though)

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I agree. Catch and Release. Let them grow big and catch them when they are 3-4 pounds!

scottsteil
    Central MN

The Lake association is the one that can put a slot limit in place on fish. They have a committee that handles the stocking, etc. Send a letter to the Sauk River Chain of Lakes Association requesting a slot. They are very willing to listen to suggestions and work closely with the DNR.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.