Browns Lake report

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Got out to Browns Lake in Richmond, and it was an adventure. Got the sled running and loaded up. At the access, I got the truck stuck for a couple minutes. Had to unhook the trailer, to back up, out of a 3 foot drift. Got out to the spot, and cleared the ice off, where I was gonna put my Fishtrap. Got the house situated and drilled holes. I immediately had 2+” of water on the ice. I set up for about half an hour and then figured, the flaps are gonna freeze in the water, so I had better re-set. I moved about 50 yards out deeper, and re-set. I am kind of a rookie when it comes to setting up a flip over house, so this time I only removed the snow where the holes would be. This worked much better, although the holes were really under my feet, at about 2 feet !!! I caught 2 small 10″ walleyes, a small crappie and about a half dozen perch in 4 1/2 hours. All in all, it was nice to get out, and if anything, find out I wasn’t missing the bite !!! There was 2 other guys set up about 100 yards away. They pulled their trap out by hand from the hwy, and were there about 2 hours and then split. I figure either they limited out, or were very impatient !!! So how does everybody else set-up a portable, when there is this much weight on the ice, and you get all the water on top ? Would like to hear your set-ups that work for you.

big g

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

—G—

How’s it going big guy?

Didn’t you catch all the fish out of Brown’s yet??

I haven’t had much luck out there this year, the crappies run small, the gills were tough to find, and the pike were plentiful, but also on the small side.
    I have yet to pull a walleye thru the ice on that lake.

When I set my Fish Trap in deep snow, do not shovel down at all.
    Set your house on top of the snow and tunnel your holes out. Otherwise you will have all your gear sitting in lots of water!

eyebuster
    Duluth

My grandpa would tell me how great this lake was back in the day but I have yet to have the same results he talks about. Best day I had was maybe 10 fish total and small

big_g
    Isle, MN

Your grandpa is right. When I was a kid, it was a great panfish, northern and largemouth bass lake. I could go down on the dock at anytime and get a meal of sunnys. A can of corn and you could fish all day. Times were simpler, thats for sure.

big g

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.