Favorite Cat Spot on the Chain

• riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

In winter my favorite spots are the meth hole, sucken point on Long, Holes on Koetter, along with any deeper current areas.

In summer I like to work the bridges at night. Slip bobbers on koetter is fun. But for bigger cats you can’t go wrong drifting with a lindy rig crawler or minnow.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

So where is the meth hole? It is a spring?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I wish I fished up there enough to have a favorite spot!

The “meth” hole is a area that has what’s claimed to be methane gas bubbling out of the bottom in about 30 feet of water. It has enough movement that the ice seldom freezes and if it does it’s MUCH thinner and unsafe….I don’t belive the unsafe are is much larger that 10 feet in dia., if that.

I’m not good enough with directions to get you the location…but keep in mind Horseshoe is part of a river and with moving water there are places you NEED to avoid.

Stay on the beaten paths and you’ll be good. This is not a lake that a new person (like me) should be exploring by himself.

hanson

Geeeeez…

This is the 2nd forum today that has my favorite cat spot listed publicly. Last 2 times I have been there, nobody else has been around, looks like that’ll be changing now.

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Hanson, I fish for cats on the chain at least once a week. There are few guys that take it as serious as we do. I respect you as a catman from reading your posts both here and at FM. I also enjoy reading your blogs and website. I hope that anyone that uses the info we choose to post does so in a respectful way and practices catch and release.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just don’t mention that your practicing C&R to the bait shop guys!
    Two years ago one fella gave me a lecture that I should leave the cats on the ice as they are taking over the lake/river.

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Cats are far from taking over the chain. The number one fish harvested on the chain are crappies according to the last dnr creel survey. Walleye fishing through out the chain is good day in and day out. The Chain is very hard to fish for most people due to the amout of water and difficult structure. The cats are getting more respect all of the time. And the area warden will give two tickets for leaving a cat (or any fish) on the ice; littering and want not waste not.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

the area warden will give two tickets for leaving a cat (or any fish) on the ice; littering and want not waste not.

And he should.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Hanson. if it makes you feel any better, have heard all of these spots from everyone who has fished the lake.. but I couldnt find any of them without proper directions.. nor would I try knowing there is current.

Relax a little and go fishing

Horseshoe is a drive.. its not that close to home for most of us… I think *your* secret spots are pretty safe, your fish will be there

audemp
    Wi

Thanks for the info Riverrunt! If I am able to get there one day, I will have to give em a try. I think I heard FM is having a cat gathering up there soon near the meth hole. Sounds like some good times!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Maybe we should have our own little cat gathering on horse shoe next year?

I’ve been looking forward to hitting it for a long time.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Maybe we should have our own little cat gathering on horse shoe next year?

I’d be in for sure as well as my son Tyler.

audemp
    Wi

Lets do it! We could have a cook out and a little friendly contest!

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

I think this is a great idea. I would be willing to help organize as well.

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Has anyone tried Big Kandiyohi, Tanners, or Tetonka for winter cats?

It looks as if these lakes and a few others may be up and comming cat lakes.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m interested in knowing where this “Meth Hole” is just to look at it! You can have all the cats, I’m a bass fisherman.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

I think this is a great idea. I would be willing to help organize as well.

You would have to help, YOU would be chosing the spot seeming you are the local guy who knows where to go!

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

So, are we going to set up a GTG? I’ve never fished this lake but am very interested in chasing the cats.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I’m interested in knowing where this “Meth Hole” is just to look at it! You can have all the cats, I’m a bass fisherman.

You might as well be a Cat guy!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Chappy, if I recall correctly…you had very big smiles on your face by the time we came back from cat fishing.

I didn’t make it to ‘shoe last year. Sure would like to go this year if it fits in the schedule.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Chappy, if I recall correctly…you had very big smiles on your face by the time we came back from cat fishing.

I didn’t make it to ‘shoe last year. Sure would like to go this year if it fits in the schedule.

Yeah…We went for cat’s but the walleye knew I was a walleye guy and so they bit instead! Those walleye are such a smart fish!

schrumy
    Clearwater MN

My parent’s live on the chain, I think the cat population is going to be in fine shape for sometime, My folks fish of the dock almost daily in the summer and Dad always catches at least a couple small ones and occasionaly some bigger ones, nothing like your looking for but at least you know there is plenty of up and commers.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.