smacken’ cats on first ice

• riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Most areas of the chain are walkable and many are using atvs to get around. Most are going for walleyes and crappies. But I have catfish blood in me, so that is what I was after. Since the ice was so clear I was able to shoot through with the fl-18 without drilling any holes. I was able to cover a lot of area that was fishless. I found a school of Cats in a 30 foot hole suspended about 8 feet off the bottom. Some cats swam away when the cut shinner was offerd while others swam up to meet it on the way down. In all it was one of the best days for catn’ on the ice. I caught and released all the fish. At sun set I went to a shallow rock area for walleye and put out a tip-up and was beginning to jig when the tip-up flipped and put the first eye of the season on the ice. Fished for another hour with out a bite from a walleye just a few pesky rockbass.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Is that a flatty? Sure looks like it.

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Nope, Although it was one of the bigger channels I have gotten in a while….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The ’06 ’07 Cats on Ice season is ON!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

That ice looks treacherous!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

As long as we are talking fishing its ALWAYS in my blood. Its an addiction that I love being a part of. Brian, this spring/summer, whatever works for you, you have to come down and go Catin with HOF and I on Lake Zumbro. I’ll supply the boat all you have to do is put us on the good lookin catin spots [always a catch huh, lol].
    Thanks, Bill

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Is that a flatty? Sure looks like it.

Little too much fork in the tail for a Flatty. Though in the light it looks like one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.