Hooking Gulp small fry minnows?

• mrpike1973

OK I’m really trying to not use live bait have been told this works great what hooks and how do you hook them for pan fish? Bare hooks, small tiny jigs, flu flu’s? just lip hook like a real minnow? DO you constantly keep twitching the bait use a float etc.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I use a lot of ice jigs year round. Additionally I learned from Brett Clark to vary how you hook them. Typical is straight through the nose, but if you hook the on a angle through the back they will spiral when they fall

bob

I like to use a 1/124 oz fly jig. Thread it on like you would a normal plastic. Deadly for pan fish with a bobber.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Slip it on the jig just like you would a twister tail…. in the nose end and thread onto the hook a ways then out. Gulp baits can be either tough or like to tear easy so doing it this way keeps it on jig better. As Randy suggested you can offset how you rig the bait but it can have a short lifespan if the fish are really drilling it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve had good luck with these this spring already. I usually bring some live minnows and start with those because the water has still been pretty cold, but after you get em riled up with some live bait, they’ve been taking the fake ones just as well. I use a small bobber with them just like I normally would with a live minnow but yes, since it is not able to “swim” on its own, you have to give it some action by popping it. I hate re-baiting all the time when the peckerheads show up. I’ve been using them on a small hook but I’m sure a small jig would work fine too.

rubberduck
    east bethel

I literally have not bought live bait for panfish in 6 years. All I use is gulp minnows and “fish fry”. The fry will usually out produce the minnow spring summer or winter on A rat Finke or a glow demon.
    Deadly combo!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.