Honda 50Hp tiller outboard?

• milemark_714

Looking for info on a Honda 50HP tiller model(fuel injected).Was wondering about the pros/cons,besides price.I see a lot of government/contractors are using them,so maybe that tells me something?But I don’t hear much in the consumer world on them.The older carbed ones were dogs,that I remember.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

My brother has a 2002 carbed tiller. Never thought I was a dog. Hasn’t had many issues with it. I think just the starter. I would imagine the newer ones are even nicer. Honda makes pretty good motors.

tim hurley

Should be a great motor especially because its fuel injected. Yamaha has a better parts and service network but if you are getting a good deal on the Honda go for it!

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

I have a 2009 90hp. Been a great motor. Only problem is if you need service or parts you need an actual Honda dealer from my experience.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

I had a 50 HP Honda tiller I bought new in 2000. Never had a problem with it. My son is still running it hard in Bismarck on the river. He does go through a lot of props. I liked the motor and it was easy on gas.

milemark_714

Thanks all.I ended up buying one.The main reason was the dimensions on the motor were the same as my old 50.Can’t comment on Suzuki,but the Mercury and Yamaha 50s were too long and would not fit in garage space.The Etec was the longest,at about 25″ off back of transom.May as well shove it through the wall and into an interior closet?Plus I heard a lot of mixed reviews about them.

Only time will tell with the Honda,has a 6 year warranty.And fuel usage is very minimal,probably get by with a 3 gallon tank for the most part.My old 50 would use that in short time.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Congrats.I have heard nothing but good things about Honda. Be sure to post up a report after you get some run time on it. And yes, I would guess your gas mileage will be much better.

milemark_714

Congrats.I have heard nothing but good things about Honda. Be sure to post up a report after you get some run time on it. And yes, I would guess your gas mileage will be much better.

Just started to end the boring break-in period.And now the friggin river is going back-up,again!Maybe later this month?

Stern height is the same level in the water,so gained little weight.Accelerates very good,but haven’t poked the top end yet.That will be the next trip out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.