Honda 400 rancher or Polaris 570 sportsman

• Paul Berger

Looking to buy one or the other. Used for ice fishing, trail riding, hunting, and a little work. I will eventually have two by summer. Wife and teenage kids will use as well. What are the pros and cons? Experiences?

JoeMX1825
    MN

How far off pricewise is a Yamaha Grizzly 450/700 vs the Honda? I’d take a hard look at the Yamaha…they haven’t changed much over the past 10 years because they don’t need to, the platform is bulletproof

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

If it was me I’d go Honda if price is comparable. Hondas are bullet proof in my opinion. Lots of good machines out there.

dbright
    Cambridge

What model Honda 400? If it is the rancher 400at you might be disappointed with the lack of low end when it comes to using it for work. If reliability is a top priority you will be better off with the Honda. The Polaris will have a better ride but a quick search on Google will show you a long list of wiring problems and Gremlins on some of the 570’s

dbright
    Cambridge

The rancher 420’s are a solid machine.

John Timm

I would also check out Yamaha. Would not consider polaris if you want it to last.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I was in the same boat a few years ago but instead of a Polaris I was looking between the Honda rancher and the new yahmaha Kodiak. I had heard to many horror stories with Polaris to justify the dollars I would save. I went with the the Kodiak due to the fact that it was a little more smoother ride due to the IRS and just looked a little better. I cant complain with how it has treated me. Both are solid machines. A buddy has a rancher and he has no complaints at all. If I were to do it again I would go with the 400 version Kodiak they have now instead of the 700. Whatever you get, the DPS is worth ever single penny.

404 ERROR
    MN

Oh the Polaris 570…buckle up and hold on, do I have a story for you.

I bought a 2014 570 EPS brand spanking new. I put 800 or so miles on it in the 7 months I owned it. First issue was with less than 30 miles on it, power steering failed and needed to be replaced. Second was the battery failure with less than 100 miles, both issues were covered under warranty.

Third issue was the plastic on the right side of the seat had literally melted and began to drip on the exhaust. Polaris did not feel that was a warranty issue, so I ate the cost. Next was the SEAT AND PLASTICS in the same spot began to melt. Once again brought it to Polaris. They decided not to cover the plastics and seat and I once again, ate the cost. There was literally so much heat generated by the machine that the gas vent line would boil over and it was routed into the headlight pod, spewing gas EVERYWHERE. I do not beat on my utility machines, this was average speeds with average throttle. After the second battery replacement and 2 punctured tires(which were most likely my fault), I traded it in for a Can-Am and have been happy since.

I’m not saying Polaris doesn’t make a good machine, but you DO get what you pay for with ATV’s…Between the QC issues, recalls and other miscellaneous issues Polaris is fighting, I’m going to make a hard pass on them and I recommend others do the same. Older Polaris Sportsman machines were absolutely bulletproof if you could keep the electrical problems at bay. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I would take either of those two IF they were given to me. Otherwise, I wouldn’t spend my money on them for my applications. If your only using for light applications, and power is not an issue, then no doubt go with the Honda

I use mine for medium duty around our farm, out west in the mountains, and heavy fishing/hunting. We owned a 400 for a very short time. Our use was just too much for it. The 400 was lacking power for most things I do. Our smallest is a 500 (490cc) and that made a huge difference.

Polaris is very popular here locally in the midwest and they seem to be plentiful on the used market. Of all my family and friends that own them, there are 2 things that remain the same among them all. 1. Great ride – very smooth and soft suspension. 2. Issues. Just about everyone I know that takes one out west needs to remove the air filter canister and run it open. Rig up a filter that has almost zero air restrictions. I just open the lid on my cat. Beyond that, the list is long on all the horror stories I have witnessed. Polaris is a great looking machine sitting in the garage and not used. I get a kick out of a broither n law that had a Polaris. Its about a 2006 or 2008 and he’s bragged up how good it is. He just rolled over the 1500 mile mark. I’m just about to 10,000 miles on my articat 500.
    On my 2008 cat, besides typical maintenance:
    New Tires
    Brakes/rotors/pads
    Radiator (caught a sick through it)
    Radiator fan
    Battery
    Light bulbs
    Had 1 wire issue with a wire that rubbed against the frame. Jacket wore bare and had a short. That was around 4000 miles.

Coming up to do: tie rod ends and a piece in the steering. Getting a little sloppy

Paul Berger

First off thanks for the posts / replies. I appreciate the views. I’m now leaning towards the Honda with the Yamaha’s getting a strong consideration. I really wanted the Polaris to work, but with the issues I need reliability. What models should I look at within the two? Meaning the 400 class?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Exciting to hear that Yamaha is offering a 400 machine again but I cant find any information about it online. Do you have a link with more details Jake D?

To the original poster. Honda, without a doubt

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

There’s a reason there’s so many Polaris atvs on the market. I’m in the market for a newer used on myself, I have an old Kodiak 400 with Manuel shift and have not had a single problem with it. I’m currently looking for a little bigger machine, looking at all brands except Polaris

404 ERROR
    MN

Exciting to hear that Yamaha is offering a 400 machine again but I cant find any information about it online. Do you have a link with more details Jake D?

They’re the new Kodiak 450. For $1,000 more, you can get the Kodiak 700. It would be tough for me to buy the 450 considering the small price increase for a large power increase.

jarrod holbrook

I still run a 2003 Honda rubicon 500. It refuses to die. It is hands down the best machine I’ve ever owned. My buddy has bought and killed three other machines and Honda keeps going. Yamaha is definitely worth considering. Polaris, and Can Am are not. I’d look for a used Honda Foreman. If you find a clean one pay a little extra.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

They’re the new Kodiak 450. For $1,000 more, you can get the Kodiak 700. It would be tough for me to buy the 450 considering the small price increase for a large power increase.

I was able to find it. Prices may vary a bit but looks like the 450 sells for $5999 and the 700 is $7999. Obviously the features you get play a factor but yeah I hear what you are saying.

I prefer a smaller machine for riding in the woods as they are more nimble but since I plan on pulling a fish house someday I would probably opt for the bigger machine

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As a Polaris owner I can tell you that, well, I kind of wish I wasn’t a Polaris owner…

My Sportsman 500 HO is strictly a work machine for my hunting property. In 5 years of ownership, I have yet to make it through a full year without having to haul it into the dealer at least once. CV boots and joint went bad, stator went bad, starter went bad, tires leaked constantly due to 2 piece rims (not unique to Polaris, but still).

That doesn’t count the stuff I’ve repaired myself. New pull started because water gets inside the case and rusts it out. Now the gas gauge has quit working but no way am I paying to fix that. It’s just one thing after another, every year some system or component fails. I just know the shocks are next, I’ve heard on this vintage of machine they go after 5-6 years…

It’s a decent machine and great pulling power and ride quality, but it just seems to me that the parts are lower quality and need more frequent attention that competitive brands.

It’ll be a long time before I can justify replacement as I only put on a few hundred miles a year, but I’ll be looking at Can Am and Yamaha next time.

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I prefer a smaller machine for riding in the woods as they are more nimble but since I plan on pulling a fish house someday I would probably opt for the bigger machine

If it has a low range, you can pull some pretty heavy stuff with even 400 CCs. I pulled a 500 pound food plot disc for hours on end with my 500.

I can see at high altitude where a guy would benefit from 700 CC+, but IME pulling stuff is more about do you have enough traction rather than do you have enough power. Doesn’t matter if you have a 1200CC with turbo if you get into a patch of glass-smooth ice pulling a heavy load …

Grouse

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

My bad yes it is a 450 as mentioned, I couldn’t quite remember. But I love the Kodiak for how its just a scaled down version from the grizzly. I feel I have better control over the machine and I only use it for fishing and some light trail riding. I added a light bar on it because the stock lights are good but not great. Good luck in the decision. Let us know

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Bigger is always better. If there is any chance you can step up past the 400/500 class, do it. I see a lot of yammies out there and they have a solid trail rep. Honda’s are reliable but not sporty if you enjoy that aspect. Polaris have bad rep. Arctic Cat, well I just dont know about them. I have a 2006 500 for utility purposes and you cant kill it.
    CanAms are spendy and nice and spendy for inevitable service.
    I’m a rouge though. I run Kawasaki. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them but I wouldn’t drive anything else.

Paul Berger

Stopped by and took a look at that Yamaha kodiak 450 at Tousley’s today. Nice machine. Saw the rubicon 500, might have to give that some consideration as well. The rubicon is stout. I’m not the smallest guy. The 400 seemed light. I do like the smaller foot print of the Honda 400 though. Tough decision and I like the input. Thanks again.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Anybody ride a cfmoto Atv or see them around?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I used the heck out of a Honda Rubicon 500 in the mountains. 7500 to 10500 feet. Heavy load with 2 people and gear on it. Performed flawlessly

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Honda all the way. Never any issues lots of power. I have 5 machines and never a single issue. Just look at how many used you find? You don’t see many because they last forever.

Sam
    St.Francis

I have a 2016 570 efi and the thing is a beast. I do have quite a few mods so I can’t really speak for the stock machines but I haven’t had any problems BTW I bought it to replace a 05 foreman eps

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I just bought a brand new cfmoto 400 today. Picking it up from dealer tomorrow. I’ll use it for hunting and ice fishing.

Attachments:
    1. EDDB58DF-2286-4C35-BCCC-94F3BDCF15A9.png

catmando
    wis

Suzuki or Honda both bullet proof,their the best of the rest.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

As a Polaris owner I can tell you that, well, I kind of wish I wasn’t a Polaris owner…

My Sportsman 500 HO is strictly a work machine for my hunting property. In 5 years of ownership, I have yet to make it through a full year without having to haul it into the dealer at least once. CV boots and joint went bad, stator went bad, starter went bad, tires leaked constantly due to 2 piece rims (not unique to Polaris, but still).

That doesn’t count the stuff I’ve repaired myself. New pull started because water gets inside the case and rusts it out. Now the gas gauge has quit working but no way am I paying to fix that. It’s just one thing after another, every year some system or component fails. I just know the shocks are next, I’ve heard on this vintage of machine they go after 5-6 years…

It’s a decent machine and great pulling power and ride quality, but it just seems to me that the parts are lower quality and need more frequent attention that competitive brands.

It’ll be a long time before I can justify replacement as I only put on a few hundred miles a year, but I’ll be looking at Can Am and Yamaha next time.

Grouse

Sounds like it was pretty abused before you got it…

tornadochaser

For reliability it’s Honda hands down. I can think of 4 1988-1992 honda fourtrax that are still running strong today just off the top of my head, my old one included. Rancher 350’s with 4000 miles sell used for what I could have paid new for one 10 years ago. There’s a reason their value/resale stays high.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sounds like it was pretty abused before you got it…

You can’t hide abuse from me, I know all the signs. And besides, how would “abuse” make a stator go bad? Or a gas gauge?

I bought it from a 75 year old guy who was the documented original buyer and it had less than 1000 miles on it. Highly doubt he abused it much on his daily trip to the mailbox and nothing should make a stator or the gas gauge go bad in less than 1000 miles.

The machine has a great ride and lots of power. Just wish it was less breakdown prone.

Grouse

404 ERROR
    MN

how would “abuse” make a stator go bad? Or a gas gauge?

Some people just bleed blue…best to just let it go…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.