homemade gravel driveway grader

• Gitchi Gummi

Anyone care to share their homemade gravel driveway grader setup? I have seen a few ideas online but nothing that’d work for me without buying a bunch of stuff to throw it together. I see a lot of ideas where people get creative with whatever they have lying around. Anyone care to share what they use or have used in the past?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I could use one too… lots of potholes this spring doah

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Strap, chain link fence and I beam

Coletrain27

Strap, chain link fence and I beam

Used that for landscaping work and leveling dirt and works good. Works very good when grass seeding also to cover up the seed. If you don’t have any heavy metal laying around you can use wood Timbers or cinder blocks also

John Timm

I use a 5-6′ chunk of I beam. Works great! Can angle it to either side by swapping chain links, kinda hard to explain.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Use an old bed spring, couple logs and a section of drag.

Gitchi Gummi

Thanks guys. Where does one find an I beam? I’ve been looking in marketplace and Craigslist with no luck.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Winick supply in forest lake. Or coremark metals in north mpls.

Coletrain27

A wood 4×4 and wire cinder blocks to the chain link for weight would work too. If your driveway is really hard pack I don’t know how effective that’s really going to be in my opinion. They work great for loose gravel and dirt though

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks guys. Where does one find an I beam? I’ve been looking in marketplace and Craigslist with no luck.

You ever come through north branch. I can get you a big chunk or torch it down to what ever size you want. I cut more I beams out of buildings and I save lots of angle iron and I beams for projects

djshannon
    Crosslake

I would try my local rental store, a 4′ x 4′ drag harrow would work nicely.

I have one in my storage building you could borrow, but the cost of gas to pick it up and return it would be more that the rental cost.

Good Luck…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wouldn’t bother with a rental unit. Unless you want to waste money.
    The red neck version works just as well way cheaper and I’ve used the exact set up my entire life growing up in dirt roads farm area.
    The I beam and fencing can be used angled as well, just shorten and lengthen the strap on one side.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I use 8″ I beam that I welded 1/2×1/2 teeth spaced every 6″. Then I put blocks on it. If I want I can flip it over to just smooth finish.

John Timm

I took a picture of it when I was using it today. You can see how easy it is to angle it to either side or straight.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230422_152703915-scaled.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

Thanks bearcat, I appreciate it. I may have to take you up on that when I’m swinging thru the cities one of these weekends

stevenoak

I had a 8′ chunk of railroad track. Not sure a 4-wheeler would pull it.

Ripjiggen

Anyone care to share their homemade gravel driveway grader setup? I have seen a few ideas online but nothing that’d work for me without buying a bunch of stuff to throw it together. I see a lot of ideas where people get creative with whatever they have lying around. Anyone care to share what they use or have used in the past?

Used a steel bed spring. Have since upgraded to a chain link fence. If it works it works.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.