Homemade cranks storage?

• Deleted

I looked at the Plano Edge at FF today for keeping crankbaits from getting all scratched and the hooks tangled as they do now.

Do any of you have a homemade option you can share? These are $59 if I remember.

Attachments:
    1. 19639E71-5337-4393-84B2-D9AB71D15C49.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I use regular Plano 3700 boxes. I’m not one of those crazy guys with 100’s of cranks either. Spoons…..yes, I might have to many. crazy

Dave maze
    Isanti

I rubber band the hooks together. No more issues with tangles, and you can keep 2x as many in a box.

B-man

Not homemade, but are you familiar with Special Mate tackle boxes?

They make a few different versions, I have a mag spoon box and love it, but they make crank bait boxes with dividers as well.

They are SLICK and cost about the same as 10 crank baits.

You flip through them like pages in a book.

Turn the volume down and skip to about the 1:00 mark

Before ordering, measure the longest baits you plan to store from the tip of the bill to the curve of the rear treble. The baits need room to hang or it won’t work. (a 6″ bait in a 5″ box is no bueno, get a box deeper than your baits)

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve yet to find the perfect solution. However, the crank caddy has been what works best for me so far. They don’t rattle around, hooks don’t tangle, and it makes a logical way to sort cranks. My biggest issue is that the case itself and specifically the hinges aren’t made with the most rigid plastic.

Attachments:
    1. A0CBE8F5-84F9-4D62-AF10-98B311D440A8.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hey Bucky, my buddy has something like that. Can I ask where you got it?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Part of the fun of owning a bunch of cranks is untangling 19 of them all hooked together to get the one you need. Rest assured the one you need will be the one tangled right in the middle.

I can’t wait for crank bait season!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

It’s what I use too – size Medium holds 28. Works pretty well, you might occasionally hook the crank next to the one you’re pulling out but at least you don’t get the 3-4 stuck together in a clusterfutz.

$19.99 at Scheel’s:

https://www.scheels.com/p/crank-caddy-crankbait-storage-box/15934-BOX.html

x2

These aren’t perfect, but they do the trick for me. I have 2 full medium boxes and 2 full small ones. I wasn’t real interested in the more bulky storage options (as some have shown above).

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

It’s what I use too – size Medium holds 28. Works pretty well, you might occasionally hook the crank next to the one you’re pulling out but at least you don’t get the 3-4 stuck together in a clusterfutz.

$19.99 at Scheel’s:

https://www.scheels.com/p/crank-caddy-crankbait-storage-box/15934-BOX.html

x2

These aren’t perfect, but they do the trick for me. I have 2 full medium boxes and 2 full small ones. I wasn’t real interested in the more bulky storage options (as some have shown above).

And the other good thing about the Crank Caddy is that if you have a storage bag or boat compartment that is made to fit Plano 3700’s this fits as well.

tim hurley

I do the rubber band thing, but it is a hassle, so I want something else this season too.

Deleted

I rubber band the hooks together. No more issues with tangles, and you can keep 2x as many in a box.

Pic please…

Dan
    Southeast MN

Dave maze wrote:

Pic please…

I’m intrigued by this as well and would like to see this method.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Pic please…
    [/quote]

This is a 3700 deep box. The key is to find the rubber bands that don’t dry rot and get sticky. These red ones are the best I’ve found.

Attachments:
    1. 20200318_212116.jpg

Dave maze
    Isanti

This is where i get the red bands.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200318-212913_Chrome.jpg

Red Reno

Dutch,

THey are called Crank Caddy’s. I think I have 10-15 of them if you are interested!!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I like the rubber band idea however I don’t have the discipline to it consistently.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Dutch,

THey are called Crank Caddy’s. I think I have 10-15 of them if you are interested!!

Assuming…….

We aren’t locked down
    I can pick them up and not ship them

I might be interested, shoot me a PM with price and where you are located.

Thanks

Deleted

Where can I get those crank caddy’s?

munchy
    NULL

FYI the Plano Edge boxes are on sale this week at Fleet Farm. The box pictured in the original post is down to $39.99. Others on sale as well.

fishingchallenged

The Crank Caddy’s are a good option for smaller cranks, say for the 4-7’s. Anything larger and I just use a 3700 box hanging the hooks over the dividers.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I use the Crank Caddy too. I have maybe 2 to 3 of each of the 3 sizes. Single slot large cranks, double slot medium cranks and triple slot small cranks row trays. I do agree that the box and hinge leaves a bit to be desired but it seems the best system that I’ve ran across so far. Both in terms of storage numbers, the ability to sort and match em up and to get to the one that you want quickly.

Downfall is if someone picks it up from the hinge side that has never handled it, well it’s just the scheetz! I also purchased a couple of bags that holds them upright with the hasps pointing up.

Oh and you still can put a few more in them by doubling a slot up every once in a while. It will not add storage up to half as many again but you can get maybe an extra 10 to 20 percent more in some of them.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I have a tackle roll from http://www.RusticRiverGear.com that I like a lot and it holds a ton of cranks with no rubber bands required.

I’ll second these. They take up very little room when rolled up and made right here in St. Joe MN!

tim hurley

The roll is a nice design-do they ever go on sale?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The key is to find the rubber bands that don’t dry rot and get sticky.

^^^This^^^

The main problem with the rubber band trick is the sun will destroy/melt the rubber in a fairly short period of time. Sometimes leaving melted rubber band residue on the crankbait.

Great trick for short time use. Just don’t let them sit for long periods of time. May have to give the red band a try.

-J.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

The roll is a nice design-do they ever go on sale?

Not sure, I believe they do a descent amount of sport shows where I would imagine they have some sort of deals going on.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.