Hole Stealing Ice-fisherman

• Gary

It’s all public water and I don’t mind where people set-up anymore I just ignore them if they ignore me or talk to them if they talk to me. I don’t own one inch of the lake.

I get a laugh out of the guys who set-up 20 yards from me. With no one around for a 1/4 mile. I just fish like I would normally even if it means drilling a hole right next to their portables. I fish outside if it isn’t below zero.

My dogs like to make new friends.

I can barley contain myself when they ask aren’t you a little close and hey could you keep your dogs away.

My dogs are a pain the a$&

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I can barley contain myself when they ask aren’t you a little close and hey could you keep your dogs away.

I hope you are being sarcastic. Letting a dog loose to approach a stranger may not end well.

Gary

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gary wrote:</div>

I hope you are being sarcastic. Letting a dog loose to approach a stranger may not end well.

Dave,

Sorry to trigger you this morning but thanks for the post! My wife and daughters haven’t laughed so hard in months.

I’m blessed with granddaughters that are part of our lives almost every day and the dogs are theirs and my wife’s.

They are smaller then cats and are named sugar and cupcake. Purple and pink collars with gold and fake diamonds.

Friendliest things on earth and they will invite themselves on your lap.

Honest question Dave…So I’m set-up with no one around me for 1/4 mile. Then you decide to come and set-up 60 feet from me…and you see I have 2 dogs.

Do you honestly think that dogs won’t come over to check you out at that distance? Or that I have some duty to put my dogs in the flip up as not to offend you?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Honest question Dave…So I’m set-up with no one around me for 1/4 mile. Then you decide to come and set-up 60 feet from me…and you see I have 2 dogs.

Do you honestly think that dogs won’t come over to check you out at that distance? Or that I have some duty to put my dogs in the flip up as not to offend you?

Excuse me? All I said is it may not end well, never said that I personally would be offended, did I?

Entirely up to you how trusting you want to be of how a stranger will react to your dog. I’ve had a stranger pick my dog up by the collar and dangle him in the air.
    I was a bit too trusting, but you do what you want to.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Then you decide to come and set-up 60 feet from me

So now we’re talking 60 feet from another person ice angling? I’d hardly call that hole stealing. I asked the OP what the distance was when he started this thread and he said 15 feet.

Gary

It’s all public water and I don’t mind where people set-up anymore I just ignore them if they ignore me or talk to them if they talk to me. I don’t own one inch of the lake.

I get a laugh out of the guys who set-up 20 yards from me. With no one around for a 1/4 mile. I just fish like I would normally even if it means drilling a hole right next to their portables. I fish outside if it isn’t below zero.

See my original post. 20 yds is roughly 60 feet. I’m replying to Dave that it may not end well if I let cupcake and sugar loose and they approach a stranger on the ice.

Not sure what may not end well means.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Then you decide to come and set-up 60 feet from me

So now we’re talking 60 feet from another person ice angling? I’d hardly call that hole stealing. I asked the OP what the distance was when he started this thread and he said 15 feet.

I believe it was a hypothetical scenario involving dogs.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’m replying to Dave that it may not end well if I let cupcake and sugar loose and they approach a stranger on the ice.

Not sure what may not end well means.

You don’t understand my answer to your earlier response to me? A dog choking by his/her collar is a good ending? Do you let you granddaughters approach a stranger out on the ice when you are not right there beside your granddaughter? I don’t see the difference.

Gary wrote:

Excuse me? All I said is it may not end well, never said that I personally would be offended, did I?

Entirely up to you how trusting you want to be of how a stranger will react to your dog. I’ve had a stranger pick my dog up by the collar and dangle him in the air.
    I was a bit too trusting, but you do what you want to.

Gary

I’m done after this one. A little selective editing on your part after the fact.

This is your initial response. Nothing about someone chocking your dogs.

And comparing my granddaughters to dogs???

I’m off this site.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

I’m done after this one. A little selective editing on your part after the fact.

This is your initial response. Nothing about someone chocking your dogs.

And comparing my granddaughters to dogs???

I’m off this site.

I stand by every thing I wrote. I have granddaughters, grandsons and dogs. They are all family to me and treated as such.
    You seem to be the one jumping to preconceived conclusions.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I’ve had people drilled a hole close enough to me to get ice chips over me or my gear. That’s why I have 50# braid on a reel and a space bobber to hoot if it goes into the wrong their direction. I’m almost sure I will win the tug of war.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

That sounds like Osakis community-hole behavior, where people fish the holes you drilled before you can set down the auger.

The best way to avoid being the victim of the Bent-Rod Pattern is to fish in a portable shack, or at the very least, fish from your knees using your body to block other’s view of your catch. Sitting on a bucket and getting up periodically to drop a cutter into the bucket is a bright shining beacon for Meat-Hunters.

There’s a lot of shameless rubber-neckers chasing panfish who have no issue claiming the holes you drilled. They want the experience and the meat, but they aren’t willing to work for it. You just have to get over it. It doesn’t pay to get mad that them; it just ruins your fishing trip and likely leaves little-to-no impact on them. They’re assholes, and assholes don’t care. That’s what makes them assholes.

Good work on finding those slabs!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It’s really awkward when people do this while you’re trying to film a show )

Pat, that is a two way street. I’ve had an equal amount of guys filming that moved in on me. John Gillespie almost met his fate when he ran up and had a camera stuck in my face on Mendota. Joe Bucher was on the verge of having his boat sunk when he was ORDERING me to move from a spot I was on because he was wanting to film there on Big Lake. Those two are definitely the exception and very over the top in arrogance. Most of the time, I think people just get too curious and lose sight of “space”.

Interesting to read all the black and white attitudes towards this. Guess its just more of the old age syndrome kicking in for me. Years ago i got ticked off and was very intolerant of it. As the years past and on some bodies of water I welcome it. Ya, its rewarding to work your butt off and land on quality fish. But what about when the school moves?? Back in day chasing perch on mendota, was very common to hit a mother load school, hit 4 or 5 then they moved…..and then the search continued. I would get pizzed when a couple guys crowded me when I was a mile away from a crowd and on fish I found. However, having 2 or 3 guys fanning out searching kept US dialed in. Over time I learned that having a few guys working WITH me made less work on my part.

Is it always this friendly – NO. Some guys are complete jerks and you have to just let it go.

hnd

There was a time where i would get indignant. this stuff grinded my gears.

and then I realized something after a few situations. Most people STINK at fishing. I’m no pro but I put in work and I put in the time and I will move around mercilessly to stay on fish. especially basin fish that are moving around.

1 situation. small borrow pit connected to the river. we are fishing on a spot and catching fish one right after another. a group of people we have no idea who they are come right over and start talking to us and literally just start setting up AROUND us fishing our holes. we continued to catch fish while they (half of them had flashers) just sat there and stared at us hammering them. the fish would need to be lifted probably halfway up the water column to get them to bite. they just sat there. i mean you could see what we were doing different. never clicked for them. and we certainly weren’t going to show them (we were internally livid)

but reflection afterwards we chuckled, those guys jsut watched us put on a clinic and didn’t catch one fish. we caught probably 100 crappie that day between the 2 of us. 5′ away from them. I now know one of the guys fairly well and he told us he and his group of friends think it was fluke and have never fished it again. meanwhile we’ve continued to hammer them year after year.

another time in a bay in a SE MN lake, we were catching crappies like nuts, you had to move from hole to hole as the fish moved around. Here comes some guy on the other side of the bay on a 4 wheeler. you know he saw us catching fish. set up 10′ from us, we weren’t fishing in our 1 mans, you could see everything we were doing. he picked a few of our holes, flipped over the shelter, didn’t say a word and we kept fishing all over him catching all the crappies we could handle. after a few hours, he pulls it open and is like how are you guys catching so many fish!? we were like well we are moving around looking for them. “Hmm interesting” he closed his shack back up and sat in that same spot for another hour before packing up and leaving. Now i judged this guy right away as he was decked out in striker gear and had all the newest fishing gear. but clearly it wasn’t the arrow.

After that, i was like i could care less. because chances are they are not going to do what i do to catch fish. they are going to set up shop or whip out the bobber rods and likely deem that spot dead and that we got lucky.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

pretty sure we wont need to worry about this for a while!!!!!!!!! waytogo whistling

Deuces

Wow, first time poking in on this thread.

And here I thought the OP had gotten caught up in some weird love triangle.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Wow, first time poking in on this thread.

And here I thought the OP had gotten caught up in some weird love triangle.

I don’t understand
    HEHEHEHE

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.