holcombe

• mike carey

anyody have any tips on where to find eyes on holcombe,taking my dad out this weekend , he loves walleye fishing , but never seems to have the time to go.

mike carey

well we had good luck today on holcombe. we were trolling #5 shad raps and hot tots in about 10 to 20 fow. I fished from 6 am to 8 am and had 6 fish , the biggest being 21in then I took my dad out around 10 and every pass we made for about 3 hours we boated fish, some short , some not so short. Overall a good day of fishing, A good change of pace from my normal weekend fishing trips down to pool 4.

muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

It looks like we might have ice in December. Where does the first ice action come on Holcombe? I have been trying to figure this out for a few years now.

brett
    Brooklyn Park, MN

What species are you targeting? I have always had decent luck first ice for walleyes using tipups/shiners in 5-7 ft. and crappies are usually found in the river channels and will relate close to the bottom. A lot of the “community” spots are good first ice spots (i.e. Sportsmans Park and the Wayside). Good luck.

muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

I like crappies the best but if the walleyes are biting I would not pass it by.

Is the sportsman park the same as the Lions park?
    By wayside do you mean that narrow channel that goes out to the east and goes through a very narrow area?

brett
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Sportsmans Park and Lions are the same place and the wayside is the channel right off Hwy 27 that runs east out to the main lake. These are usually a decent first ice spots as you can walk to them. Here are some things I have always found for Holcombe crappies – stay within 1 foot of the bottom, smaller presentation the better, and make sure your hook is not exposed. Good luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.