Hockey….did you know?

• MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

Any truth to the Hermantown coach running his mouth about an unranked team making the finals? Complaining about the quality of his competition all tournament? Heard he was saying they would run right over the Moose and it wouldn’t even be a contest? If it is true he deserves a lifetime ban for unsportsman comments and the team deserves to be stripped of its title. They don’t move up and he complains about the quality of the competition? What the hell is wrong with the Minnesota HS League to allow this cowboy to continue being a d bag. All 50 states and 37 countries watched the pathetic #1 ceded team have a horse shoe fall out their butts for three straight games. Get rid of him already.

Just to preface my comment, I have no connection to Hermantown. I do know a lot about High School Hockey though. With that I have to say, nothing you just said makes any sense. No Way Plante said any thing of the sort about A level competition. The only thing he may have said is that the entire state of MN thinks HIS team, Hermantown, should move up to AA. Perhaps he was being facetious? Because they DID dominate MN hockey all season long, A and AA teams in fact. I have never heard Plante complain about anything but ST Thomas playing at the A level. That said EVERYONE thinks his team should move to AA. I believe you heard a bit of sarcasm in reposnse to the pressure his team has been under to move to AA. He may have been saying, “yeah we just dominated 3 teams in the State A tournament so we should move to AA…..” in effort to make a point to all his critics

gonefishin

I was at the A championship game and what a game. The atmosphere was great.

Did you know? I had son who played HS Hockey but team never made it. However each year he played, the team would be able to get tickets and we would go. Then after he graduated we wished to keep going but we could not get tickets. Yesterday we were in town for the beer fest and decided to catch the A game.

After the A game had somme time to kill so waited in line and were able to get upper deck for AA. During the AA 3rd place we moved down to lower deck as the place was deserted. After a while a couple of young kids come along and informed we were sitting in their seats. They informed someone at work gets ticket every year for the same seats. I was shocked. We moved over a couple of seats and a little while later another guy informs we are in his seats. Also comments that someone gets these same seat every year and gave them to him.

So I went out to MSHSL web page and found you can get on a waiting list for tickets and that tickets can be passed down from family to family .

I can’t believe this. Folks can lock up the tickets from year to year!!!! What at bunch of BS. All these years that we have wanted to get tickets and didn’t know we could get on a waiting list.

Anyone comments, is this BS or NOT?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not bs. A guy I work with has “season tix”.

Regarding recruitment. Anyone who thinks recruiting isn’t happening needs to pull their head out of the sand. Rules never stopped everyone from breaking them.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Yes you can get season tickets for AA games always has been this way since the Highschool tourney started. When first started as one class it was a 10-15 year waiting now it’s only a couple years to get them. Our family first started back in the 50’s my grandfather stopped getting them took him 10 years to get back I think now we have them since 68 or 69. I took over the tickets the first year family could pass them down 99 or 2000 somewhere in there.

Single A games you can get at the door since they do not sell out general admission.

Gitchi Gummi

Any truth to the Hermantown coach running his mouth about an unranked team making the finals? Complaining about the quality of his competition all tournament? Heard he was saying they would run right over the Moose and it wouldn’t even be a contest? If it is true he deserves a lifetime ban for unsportsman comments and the team deserves to be stripped of its title. They don’t move up and he complains about the quality of the competition? What the hell is wrong with the Minnesota HS League to allow this cowboy to continue being a d bag. All 50 states and 37 countries watched the pathetic #1 ceded team have a horse shoe fall out their butts for three straight games. Get rid of him already.

I urge you to watch the post game press conference and listen to Mr. Plante’s remarks first hand…. then tell us how your feet taste. Calling a guy a d bag and calling for a team to be stripped of the title because of some concocted b/s comments you or some other rube fabricated? Geez somebody call the whambulance and get some french cries for his happy meal.

TipUpFishOn

AA ticket waiting list is about 2 years. As of three years ago, even if you were selected you could only get “season tickets” for the upper level. I was selected and when I saw that I said screw it and have been going with a buddy of mine with season tickets in the lower level ever since.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>c_w wrote:</div>

I didn’t see the press conference, nor hear any comments about it, but if he did say anything I would hazard a guess that it was sarcastic in nature considering they didn’t walk through the “inferior” competition in the first place. More of a shot across the bow to those that have said they should move up.
    Again, I didn’t hear it, but I certainly would hope he wouldn’t make comments like that considering his stance on the whole thing in the first place. He just wanted the “recruiting” teams to move up.

On a side note, I had to love the reaction from Trent Klatt. Here is a guy who played a decade in the NHL, very good college career and you see his reaction to winning the state title? That says it all. He looked as excited as the kids and to me that is what it is all about. Good for them! I was kinda pulling for Moorhead to finally win one, but GR is a very good team.
    Lou Nanne called it! He predicted (of sorts) that GR would win before the tourney started.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’m calling 1 AM, drunk, butt-hurt post on this one LOL.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

There’s always some form of scholarship and recruiting going on at Private schools. I recall reading a newspaper article a few years ago about former Totino-Grace Football Player John Crocket, who went on to star for NDSU and played (not sure if still on the roster?) for the Packers. Crocket came from a family with no money, even bouncing around from friends house to friends house while in HS. In place of tuition, he had to show up at the HS an hour or two early each day and help the custodians.

Gitchi Gummi

Grouse – I think you are only partially correct. I had a talented family member that was a decent to good student, but an excellent hockey player. STA ACTIVELY recruited him – and the scholarship dollars were steadily upped until his single mother could afford the balance. There were a crapload of straight-A students at his school that STA never contacted….. To claim that he was not recruited for his hockey skills is laughable at best.

Your line “if the parents can’t afford to pay, the kid isn’t playing” was not the case for my family member in any way, shape, or form. (I admit he was a good student, and they really demanded his grades be upheld, but without his hockey skills, he would not have been given a very generous scholarship). The original offer was stated as being “the very best they could offer”. His mother refused, and their response was “how much can you afford”? Long story short…..she paid 1/3 or a little less of the costs.

Active recruiting…..very much alive and well.

This is a great example.

Grouse – there is stuff like this going on all the time and not just for hockey.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I had a conversation with a private high school hockey coach last night and the conversation came up about recruiting. He said very quickly that recruiting does not happen.

He had a hard time keeping a straight face. shock

He is set to take over as head coach next year if that means anything.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.