Hockey….did you know?

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

In my opinion, the more classes there are, the less meaning it has to win a championship. I think high school hockey should be 1 class but I get why they have 2. Anything more than 2 is just too diluted for my liking.

I totally agree on the more than 2. Making State in Football used to be a very big accomplishment, now making the tournament is a regular occurrence for most decent programs.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Wayzata vs Eden Prairie was quite the battle.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It is a well known fact that private schools recruit… If they didn’t, they wouldn’t field a competitive team because they don’t have a feeder youth program.

Myth.

First of all the “feeder programs” aren’t run by the schools, they’re youth hockey or increasingly private development programs that are not affiliated with any school and most combine players across multiple school districts.

This old red herring about how private schools “recruit” goes back to the 1970s. This is a poor attempt to make it seem like it’s some kind of college program competing with high schools. If it was as easy as some make it sound, nobody but private schools would have won the state hockey tournament for the last 40 years. While private schools can take anyone they choose, what they cannot do is offer scholarships or otherwise give athletes financial benefits that are not available to all students.

So here’s the private school recruiting pitch: “You want to play hockey at our private school? Great! Have your parents write us a check for $20,000 a year (or more) plus fees. Oh, and don’t forget to have your parents drive you across town every morning to get yourself here.”

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

That said……if you are a say 14 year old kid and watch a school like Hill Murray play on TV every spring and the coach or another dad said “hey, wanna come play at HM?

Gitchi Gummi

Grouse – Sorry but you are wrong on the scholarships front… Look it up. Private schools are allowed to give scholarships and that’s one of the big things they sell when recruiting. I’m 99% sure my buddies who played at Duluth Marshal (transferred from East) all received scholarships to come over for hockey.

How exactly do you think they get kids to attend their schools if they aren’t actively recruiting them? I know for a fact that Duluth Marshall’s coach actively tried to recruit 1 of our best players when I was in high school. What do you have to say about that? It didn’t happen and my buddies just imagined the coach talking to them?

While the “feeder programs” aren’t run by the schools, its the next logical progression for someone in a public school hockey association to attend that high school. Go thru Edina’s youth hockey program – whats the next step? well you go on to the Edina high school team. Pretty simple. When you are a private school and dont have kids funneling in from your youth system, how else are you going to get kids to come to your school and play?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hate to break up the lovefest, but anyone else watch this? Pretty cool.

Makes me proud to have been a Minnesotan. It reminded me a lot of growing up following my brother around in his hockey career from youth to juniors to college.

By the way, after 2 years I know recognize Minnesotans by the accent.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Private schools can only offer the same financial aid that is made available to all other students. When people hear “recruiting” and “scholarship” in the context of high school athletics, the implication is that they are offering “free ride scholarships” like colleges can give. That can’t happen in private high schools in MN, you can’t offer free rides for athletes just like you can’t give pay student athletes compensation to play at a public school.

So to put it a better way, the schools can’t give any financial assistance to athletes that is not available to all other students meeting the same qualifications.

So the “recruiting pitch” is just like I said it is. Yes, they recruit every student that goes to a private school, athlete or not. The pitch is the same for everyone, want to go to school here? Ok, have your parents apply and if you make it, writes us a check for $15-25K plus fees.

When you say your buddies received “scholarships”, how much exactly did they receive, what was it for, and what % of tuition did that cover? Most scholarships at private schools are based on parent’s income and amount to a 5-10% discount on tuition and fees that total up to $25k or more for high schools. Keeping in mind that the stated “tuition” is only a part of the cost of attending a private school. Fees and fundraising requirements can add $5k or more to the rack rate tuition every year.

Bottom line is that if the parents can’t pay substantial private school tuition, the kids aren’t going to play. Plus, you don’t suppose some kids/parents are gaming the open enrollment system or the residency rules to get kids onto “the right” public school teams?

As far as youth hockey goes, you can only go on to the high school team if you live in that school district. So the progression you describe might be really clear in Edina, but in my area where the suburbs are close together and there are fewer hockey players, there’s a mix of kids from 5-6 school districts in one YH program.

Grouse

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

That’s a very cool video. Thanks for posting!!

I miss the days when Warroad and Roseau were in it every year.

TipUpFishOn

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/RGP91g4O2Uw?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid857689″></iframe></div></div>
    Makes me proud to have been a Minnesotan. It reminded me a lot of growing up following my brother around in his hockey career from youth to juniors to college.

Saw this on NBCsports, was very cool to watch. Pretty in depth, I enjoyed the story of the head coach and of the family that moved just so their kids could play hockey there. When the guy in the truck said they’re close to…nothing, I thought but you’re right next to Lake of the Woods, that’s gotta count for something!
    Off to the tournament tonight, I expect to see some very competitive games.

MNdrifter

Anybody been to the championship game ever? I’m thinking about going down tomorrow for the A game. I’ve never been to the tourney’s, can you buy tickets at the door? Do they sell out? Any first hand info would be appreciated.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

Been to the tourney every year for about 40 years. Dad used to take me out of kindergarten to take me to the games. Missed school every year and now, well i don’t work much for these 2 days. For the AA, Tickets can be gotten on the street, expect to pay $30-60 or more for a $17 face ticket. If you don’t mind standing in a line of about 1500 people you can line up about 2 hours prior to the game and pay face, if they don’t run out.

That said, Class A tickets can be gotten easily and for face. You won’t have a problem. Leave time before or after to attend the Hockey expo if you are a fan of all things hockey. You will need at least na hour to burn through it because it is crowded. Kids love it because there are a lot of fun giveaways at all the booths.

Timmy

Grouse – I think you are only partially correct. I had a talented family member that was a decent to good student, but an excellent hockey player. STA ACTIVELY recruited him – and the scholarship dollars were steadily upped until his single mother could afford the balance. There were a crapload of straight-A students at his school that STA never contacted….. To claim that he was not recruited for his hockey skills is laughable at best.

Your line “if the parents can’t afford to pay, the kid isn’t playing” was not the case for my family member in any way, shape, or form. (I admit he was a good student, and they really demanded his grades be upheld, but without his hockey skills, he would not have been given a very generous scholarship). The original offer was stated as being “the very best they could offer”. His mother refused, and their response was “how much can you afford”? Long story short…..she paid 1/3 or a little less of the costs.

Active recruiting…..very much alive and well.

MNdrifter

Been to the tourney every year for about 40 years. Dad used to take me out of kindergarten to take me to the games. Missed school every year and now, well i don’t work much for these 2 days. For the AA, Tickets can be gotten on the street, expect to pay $30-60 or more for a $17 face ticket. If you don’t mind standing in a line of about 1500 people you can line up about 2 hours prior to the game and pay face, if they don’t run out.

That said, Class A tickets can be gotten easily and for face. You won’t have a problem. Leave time before or after to attend the Hockey expo if you are a fan of all things hockey. You will need at least na hour to burn through it because it is crowded. Kids love it because there are a lot of fun giveaways at all the booths.

Thanks!!!!! Go Moose! Gonna head tomorrow 8 am.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

Give you an example of the value of a good hockey team. I live on the east side of town. From our side of the river we know of Breck, Blake, Holy Angels and Benilde.

But this year in particular, can’t tell you how many people have asked me what Holy Family is? Where is it? Is the school new? Then followed with how did they get so good?(referring to hockey)

So does that relate Hockey success to public awareness? Marketing? It is amazing to me how the success of a sports team can build a school. Just watch HF over the next few years.

My point is, an “investment” in a sports team can fill desks. Most desks at these schools are filled by full paying families. So you give one kid a free pass and who knows how many more pay full rate.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.2353%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/RGP91g4O2Uw?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid301525″></iframe></div></div>

I love that show. I’ve watched it 3 or 4 times. The part with Gigi Marvin talking about her telling grandpa she was going to play for the gophers makes me tear up. I bet it ate her up dreading that conversation since he started the und program.
    I’m intrigued to see how that young boy turns out. Of a youth coach in warroad of 30 yrs thinks he could be the best ever that is pretty high praise.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Hermantown had to win it twice in OT. Actually double OT! First apparent game winner was rightfully disallowed. Great game, the Moose just wore down.
    Many calling, demanding in fact for the Hawks (Hermantown) to finally make the leap to 2A. Sure, they repeated as state champs but every game they played in the tournament went to OT including today’s double OT. So….? I dunno… crazy

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

All north final in AA. Grand Rapids vs Moorhead.

MNdrifter

Hermantown had to win it twice in OT. Actually double OT! First apparent game winner was rightfully disallowed. Great game, the Moose just wore down.
    Many calling, demanding in fact for the Hawks (Hermantown) to finally make the leap to 2A. Sure, they repeated as state champs but every game they played in the tournament went to OT including today’s double OT. So….? I dunno… crazy

It was an AMAZING game! It was so much fun sitting with the Moose kids. Wish they would have pulled it out, but they sure gave it a good try. I had a chuckle at some of their chants. The best was “we want cake!” Lol.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0151-3.jpg

c_w
    central MN

Any truth to the Hermantown coach running his mouth about an unranked team making the finals? Complaining about the quality of his competition all tournament? Heard he was saying they would run right over the Moose and it wouldn’t even be a contest? If it is true he deserves a lifetime ban for unsportsman comments and the team deserves to be stripped of its title. They don’t move up and he complains about the quality of the competition? What the hell is wrong with the Minnesota HS League to allow this cowboy to continue being a d bag. All 50 states and 37 countries watched the pathetic #1 ceded team have a horse shoe fall out their butts for three straight games. Get rid of him already.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Total domination by Grand Rapids. We must remember these tourneys are for the kids and not the programs. These kids will remember this weekend for their whole lives!

applause applause

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Geez. How many titles is that for GR now? They should move up to 3A. roll

shady5

H-town beat GR in the regular season, so maybe we should ask the AA guys if they want us in their division? I only hear the fans of other A schools complining, no one else.

I drove by the arena two Sundays go at 6:00am; the lot was packed with kids getting ice time. No one can say they’re not working for it. The next few years will be down years for us, but once Plante’s (Derek Plante’s) kids hit high school, we’re coming for ya again!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think you are right. They won a bunch in the 70’s. They have made several trips to state since but this was the first win in a longgg time.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I forgot to mention. Congrats to Hermantown and Grand Rapids! wave

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Reminder……Blackhawks vs the Wild on NBC this morning. It’s a early start.

shady5

Any truth to the Hermantown coach running his mouth about an unranked team making the finals? Complaining about the quality of his competition all tournament? Heard he was saying they would run right over the Moose and it wouldn’t even be a contest? If it is true he deserves a lifetime ban for unsportsman comments and the team deserves to be stripped of its title. They don’t move up and he complains about the quality of the competition? What the hell is wrong with the Minnesota HS League to allow this cowboy to continue being a d bag. All 50 states and 37 countries watched the pathetic #1 ceded team have a horse shoe fall out their butts for three straight games. Get rid of him already.

Correct me if I missed something, but it appears you are asking about the validity of something you heard, then going off on a tirade about an unconfirmed rumor.

I’m guessing you live in/near one of the teams we beat.

blackbay
    mn

Congratulations to Grand Rapids and Hermantown. I love it when the northern teams win. There is so much pride for these small towns when the bring home state titles.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Another fantastic state tourney! It rarely disappoints.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And in closing…

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.