Highly accurate varmit extermination air rifle recommendations?

• to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

The chipmunks and red squirrels are trying to destroy my cabin and garage up at the lake. Anyone have any recommendations for a good quality and accurate air rifle so I can start some target practice? I’ve got a couple of cheaper pump BB guns, but accuracy is not their strong suit……..

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have a Beeman convertible so I can switch from .177 to .22 barrels quite easily. It came with a scope that lasted about seven shots so I replaced it with some better glass and it is very accurate out to 60 yards or so.

Regardless of which brand/model you buy, pick up several styles/brands of compatible pellets and spend plenty of time shooting them. Not all pellets will be really accurate, but one or two from, say ten different ones, will be super for your gun. Shoot those. The others you’re not going to rely on ….let the kids have those and some pop cans in a safe area.

Norsky

I bought a Crosman nitro venom dusk air rifle off of pyramid air and put a decent scope on it, It is a 22 caliber, not super fast, but very accurate once broken in properly. The model is CD8M22NP, with the Nitro Piston. You can spend as much on an air rifle as you do on a quality deer rifle. This one is a great rifle for the money.

Attachments:
    1. 464DDE62-16B8-4E03-9ABD-173AB19C11CB.jpeg

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Have a heart live traps with peanut butter work great, then “relocate” them to the lake. Rat traps work on reds and chipmunks too – just be sure to anchor them.

maddogg

Pellets do make a big difference. I have a Gamo .177.These are the ones that work best for me RWS Meisterkugeln Rifle .177 Cal, 8.2 Grains, Wadcutter

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

//www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/iso-squirrel-pellet-gun/

Coletrain27

5 gallon bucket half filled with water and some sunflower seeds in the water with a wood ramp and you will catch them all.

Rat traps work awesome also

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I can tell you what I don’t recommend. I have a Benjamin which used to have a great reputation. My gun is awful for accuracy even in a sled. One shot can be 3″ high and the next shot be 3″ low. I would love to have a nail driver.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My old Sheridan Blue streak still works good but I dont work as good because its getting harder and harder for me to pump that thing 8 times!! I too need a modern pellet gun.

Coletrain27

i have a gamo whisper, its a single pump and accurate. very quiet also with regular pellets. pba ammo is louder though

Deuces

Suzuki if you take out the “https:” in front of link it’ll show up.

Everything Tom said. Find the right pellets, red fire gamo pellets are pretty good universally for me.

Google the “artillery” hold for shooting. Can’t shoot a spring/nitro gun the same as a regular firearm. Takes some getting used to, but it’s very effective once you get used to it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.